HB 1885 (DaveTN- Look inside)

• Moderators

http://legiscan.com/TN/bill/HB1885/2013

As introduced, specifies that the Class C misdemeanor offense of carrying a firearm, knife or club with intent to go armed is committed only if the person carrying the firearm, knife or club is prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

HB 1885 (DaveTN- Look inside)

That’s great. It may not be Constitutional Carry but it brings the rest of the citizens into our special group.

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, but if it allows carry it’s time for us to make sure this happens.
  • Like 3

Short and sweet. It may be too simple and straightforward to pass.

HOUSE BILL 1885

By Dennis

AN ACT to amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39,

Chapter 17, Part 13, relative to possession,

purchase or ownership of firearms.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1307, is amended by deleting

from subsection (a) the word “person” and substituting instead the word “person who is

prohibited by law from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm”.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect July 1, 2014, the public welfare requiring it.

That's the entire bill, not the summary.

Guys, this is Constitutional Carry for all practical purposes.

Unless you're a prohibited person, you'd be able to carry openly and concealed everywhere a permit holder could with some very limited exceptions...  parking lots bill wouldn't apply...  parks bill wouldn't apply (maybe)....  some of the school drop off laws...  otherwise it's just like having a permit in state.

Is it perfect?  No, but it's damn close.

Edited by JayC
  • Like 1

Short and sweet. It may be too simple and straightforward to pass.

That's the entire bill, not the summary.

Oh wow, that's a lot different than only allowing what would get you a Class C instead of a Class A for unlawful carry. It really is de facto constitutional carry.

Surely zero chance of passing this year, but glad at least to see it afoot.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
Wk05 if you can change your residency you can legally carry in TN now. Change your residency to South Dakota and get a permit in that state... Then come back and work here temporarily... South Dakota has a reciprocity agreement with TN so you don't have to get a permit from TN after 6 months.

Only real reason not to do this is if you're attending college on in state tuition or have to have TN residency for a job.
HOPE scholarship for another year, plus don't want to get into the grey area where I'd need a TN permit since my name is on a residential lease. I've thought long and hard about it though! Edited by wk05
  • Like 1

Anybody notice the only comment made on that site? Why cant that guy just crawl in a hole and never come back out?

You mean the guy challenging the constitutionality of the law? Doesn't our constitution state that any restrictions on the carry of firearms should be with a view toward reducing crime? What laws do we have that do that? I think the guy is right. It's completely unconstitutional by both state and federal standards that we should be forced to pay the state for a natural right in the first place. 

Edit: Oh damn, just noticed who it was. I hate that I feel he's right. Shoulda kept my big mouth shut. :D

Edited by LagerHead

Uh, as there is no Senate Sponsor, and the spoken rule is that no bill will move in one chamber if it has no chance in the other...

Vance Dennis has been authoring gun bill killing acts since he has been in the legislature, this is no different.  He won his primary by 4 votes last time, and is well known in his district as being a Beth Harwell acolyte.  He and Barret Rich were the instigators that killed the Josh Evans Parking Lot bill years ago.  He never had any intention of getting this passed, it is a fake to the gun guys in his district.

• Like 1

Uh, as there is no Senate Sponsor, and the spoken rule is that no bill will move in one chamber if it has no chance in the other...

Vance Dennis has been authoring gun bill killing acts since he has been in the legislature, this is no different.  He won his primary by 4 votes last time, and is well known in his district as being a Beth Harwell acolyte.  He and Barret Rich were the instigators that killed the Josh Evans Parking Lot bill years ago.  He never had any intention of getting this passed, it is a fake to the gun guys in his district.

And these are the games our "supermajority" is playing now.  Chameleons, every damned one of them.

HOPE scholarship for another year, plus don't want to get into the grey area where I'd need a TN permit since my name is on a residential lease. I've thought long and hard about it though!

You may be 19 but you're showing wisdom that very few your age do. As great as it would be to be able to carry "legally" now, it wouldn't seem so great when you had stand before a judge and explain to him how legal what you did is. Sure if you played your cards right, there would be nothing that they could do about it but I can imagine how nerve racking it would be to be standing there running everything through your head at 200mph wondering if there was anything you did wrong. And that's all assuming that you aren't in the courtroom defending yourself because you had be put into a situation where you had to use deadly force. I'm making mention of this because if I had been in your situation when I was 19 I likely would have been running wide open towards residency in South Dakota!

Calling my senator back home this afternoon.  I know he's pro-2A, so he "should" support this.

EDIT: UPDATE - I received an email back from my Senator, Dickerson.  Here's the gist of what he said aside from personal views, "This bill is in delayed bill committee which means it will face an uphill battle this year.  I will speak with the senate sponsor of the bill, while doing my own research into the bill.  Thanks again for contacting me."

Edited by wk05

Things that legislators say in an election year.

"You can't expect to make a first down every time you snap the ball"

"Y'all don't understand how the legislature works, getting a bill passed is like making sausage"

"I support the 2nd Amendment"

This was never intended to see the light of day, it was simply put forth to be a résumé bullet point (pun intended) for a very at risk candidate who skimped by in his last primary by 4 votes.

Edited by Worriedman

Things at legislators say in an election year.

"You can't expect to make a first down every time you snap the ball"
"Y'all don't understand how the legislature works, getting a bill passed is like making sausage"
"I support the 2nd Amendment"

This was never intended to see the light of day, it was simply put forth to be a résumé bullet point (pun intended) for a very at risk candidate who skimped by in his last primary by 4 votes.

The most negative comments I see are from those that are supposed to be pro-gun and pro-carry. Comments on why this won’t pass or why we can’t get this through.

You are from TFA and it is my understanding you is a lobbyist. The TFA wants money; for what? For someone to come in here and tell us why this can’t pass?

I apologize if I don’t understand the politics in play here, but are you saying we are wasting our time trying to get carry passed for all citizens?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I am not accepting that this legislation can’t pass. I don’t care how it got there, and for you to make the claim that it was proposed by at risk candidate who won by 4 votes sucks. Tell us what we need to do to make this happen.
  • Like 2
  • Moderators

The most negative comments I see are from those that are supposed to be pro-gun and pro-carry. Comments on why this won’t pass or why we can’t get this through.

You are from TFA and it is my understanding you is a lobbyist. The TFA wants money; for what? For someone to come in here and tell us why this can’t pass?

I apologize if I don’t understand the politics in play here, but are you saying we are wasting our time trying to get carry passed for all citizens?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I am not accepting that this legislation can’t pass. I don’t care how it got there, and for you to make the claim that it was proposed by at risk candidate who won by 4 votes sucks. Tell us what we need to do to make this happen.

Exactly.

Who's on the committees that are hanging this thing up?

Where can we apply pressure?

Who needs to be told that they will get the Maggart treatment if they stand in the way of this bill?

To whom do we actually need to give the Maggart treatment to the next election cycle? (My vote is for Ramsey)

There was lots of back patting after Maggart was shown the door with help from the entire state and there is lots of talk about the message it sent. Well, the real message is that it was a fluke unless it can be done again as many times as needed, every time it is needed. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

Y'all really think there's a chance to get constitutional carry in TN the first time somebody actually proposes it out of the blue?

- OS

Yes.
Why do you call it “Out of the blue”? It isn’t any more out of the blue than any other legislation. It is the next logical step for this state. There are no more “baby steps” left. All the baby steps have been taken. It’s time to put on the big boy pants and step up to the full meal deal.