Picked up my first C&R

swim615

I have several threads about my recent interest in older firearms and working my way back. I have finally made it back to my first C&R purchase and would like to share some photos of it with everyone. I am no expert but am interested in any experience you have with it.

I think I have a 1956 S&W pre39 in good shape to be about 57 years old. Thinking about getting it lettered so I have the facts on it. My understanding is it is the first American made DA/SA pistol to make it into regular production. It also seems the serial numbers started at 1000 and went to about 2500 on the pre39 models. I have 15xx. Again any knowledge you can share about them and their history would be great.

Also I wouldn't mind getting it closer to original, so if anyone has a box, paperwork, mag, etc that is the same age I would be interested in it.

Now for some eye candy.

Thanks

IMG_20140208_100614_610_zpsk5fq5sjh.jpg

IMG_20140208_100734_508_zpsng5r8fsk.jpg

IMG_20140208_100813_867_zps5faumtsi.jpg

IMG_20140208_100851_814_zpsbfwhbssb.jpg

IMG_20140208_101431_569_zpsuv7adcou.jpg

IMG_20140208_101448_622_zpsgkh2tkkg.jpg

IMG_20140208_101500_310_zpsdq9w975u.jpg

IMG_20140208_101528_630_zpsks22fnmd.jpg

• Like 6

Looks like a really nice hand gun. Where did you buy it from?

I truly wish I had a great story of how I found it but I guess the guy I bought it from gets that reward. I bought it from someone on one of the other gun classified forms. His story was that he went a estate sale and they brought out several firearms while he was there and he bought them. He did the research on it and found out that he had a classic with a bit of history attached.

Thanks everyone for the great comments.

It is a single stack 9mm. Magazine holds 8 rounds. The decocker is also a safety. I haven't had a chance to shot it yet, but plan to put a few rounds through it.

A 39 Smith is C&R eligible??!!?? Damn I'm getting old! That looks like a nice one, and I would say you got a good deal on it if it was the one on GOC. The trigger is a bit different, but once you get used to it, they are good shooters.

Not all 39s are C&Rs but all pre39s are and your just a young whipper snapper anyway. It was on GOC. I have traded with the seller several times in the past. Not sure I got a good deal or not. It cost a very shiny penny but I wouldn't sell it for two. I really like its age and history. Should be a very nice conversation peace for years to come.  Do you have a 39 and have you put any rounds through one? What did you think of it? Mine is more for the history than for shooting but I plan to put a few rounds through it just to see. I have heard good and bad with them. Seems some of the early ones didn't like the self defense rounds very much which is ok with me. I don't plan on using it for a carry anyway.

Edited by swim615

[URL=http://s612.photobucket.com/user/gregintenn/media/SW%20family%20photos/IMG_1399.jpg.html]IMG_1399.jpg[/URL]

I have a 39-2. After I bought it, I had some problems with it, but replaced the extractor, and it's fine now. It shoots really well. My father has a 52 S&W, which looks like a 39, but has a steel frame, great trigger, and is chambered for 38 special wadcutters. It is truly a first rate target gun.

I've never fired anything but fmj in mine. I don't know how it ewould feed hollow points.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...