Just got a Mosin....I see work in my future!

Guest Useable Tag

Guest Useable Tag

So the internet is a buzz about the Mosin. I can see the appeal seeing as how I purchased one. The thing about a Mosin is, it differs from almost every other firearm you may purchase. When I got the gun I also got a Marlin 795 .22 for my son. Pretty cool piece..simple and clean. I get to the house and what is the first thing that comes to mind? Wow, that 795 is ready to shoot and that Mosin is covered in cosmoline and I wont be able to touch it without taking a shower. I hear alot of talking about how the Mosin is ugly.....not seeing it! I think its a nice piece and for the price it deserves a go! Anyway, that's my take on it. Any thoughts?

Guest TankerHC
Serviceable, functional, cheap to shoot military rifle that you can use for anything. I know people who hunt with them, compete in historic military rifle competitions with them, and just use them to shoot paper. I have a few. I just can't hit anything at 200 yards with them. But I do like the big boom and fireball in the early morning and late evening.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
Guest TankerHC
And almost forgot. Mods. Polymer stocks, scopes, rails, detachable magazines. And collecting. I never really considered collector's. But after seeing what some people have done restoring them and the number of variations, collecting is certainly something the mosin line offers someone who doesn't have a fortune to spend on collector non shooter's. Although it could end up costing a small fortune in the long run to try and collect at least one of every model.

I love them! Use them to punch paper mostly. The bayonet is a decent mallow roaster when you go camping. :D

There's a pretty decent cosmoline removal thread on here, that should give you the basic info to get it clean enough to shoot. Don't forget to strip the bolt, lots of crap was caked on inside mine.
  • Like 1

At first they're ugly but they kinda grow on ya.  Plenty accurate and ammo is still cheap.

Cosmolene removal is easy.  Take stock off and wipe metal down with mineral spirits, then apply oil.  Wipe what you can see off the wood (with just a plain rag, no mineral spirits).  You are done. 

Contrary to internet Bubba BS there is no need to "strip" the stock. 

If you find it doesn't shoot where you want it to and it came with a bayonet put it on and try again. 

And almost forgot. Mods. Polymer stocks, scopes, rails, detachable magazines. And collecting. I never really considered collector's. But after seeing what some people have done restoring them and the number of variations, collecting is certainly something the mosin line offers someone who doesn't have a fortune to spend on collector non shooter's. Although it could end up costing a small fortune in the long run to try and collect at least one of every model.

It will cost more than a small fortune if you truly intend to obtain one of each variant.  A Finnish m27rv sold Friday morning for $3400 at Empire Arms, and that's not an inflated Gunbroker price, many collectors were kicking themselves for not being able to type "I'll take it" fast enough.  There are other variants more costly than that one...

Edited by No_0ne
[quote name="No_0ne" post="1111736" timestamp="1392522715"] It will cost more than a small fortune if you truly intend to obtain one of each variant. A Finnish m27rv sold Friday morning for $3400 at Empire Arms, and that's not an inflated Gunbroker price, many collectors were kicking themselves for not being able to type "I'll take it" fast enough. There are other variants more costly than that one...[/quote] Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V... You can copy the text several times in a second with practice. They are just sore losers ! Sent from somewhere in the cosmos using magic...and bacon.
Guest TankerHC

It will cost more than a small fortune if you truly intend to obtain one of each variant.  A Finnish m27rv sold Friday morning for $3400 at Empire Arms, and that's not an inflated Gunbroker price, many collectors were kicking themselves for not being able to type "I'll take it" fast enough.  There are other variants more costly than that one...

Who woulda thought?

I worked at an importer and we imported 10's of thousands of Mosins at a time. We saw every Russian variant there was. I picked up quite a few at landed price. Which was ridiculously low. I only kept my 1920's era hex recovered rifles as they were the best looking rifles.

Was only able to get 1 M39, wasn't too savvy on them at the time till later. Luckily I picked up a nice one like all of us did.

Where are some good places to pick one up? I'm not opposed to getting one online, but I'd just assume get one local to me (Nashville area). Seems a waste to spend $50 on shipping & transfer fees for a $150 rifle. Plus I can oogle, I mean, inspect them before picking one out.

C&R is your answer.
  • Like 2

Where are some good places to pick one up? I'm not opposed to getting one online, but I'd just assume get one local to me (Nashville area). Seems a waste to spend $50 on shipping & transfer fees for a $150 rifle. Plus I can oogle, I mean, inspect them before picking one out.

Call D&T. They had a few last month, about 6 I think.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Garufa" post="1111537" timestamp="1392503634"]At first they're ugly but they kinda grow on ya. Plenty accurate and ammo is still cheap. Cosmolene removal is easy. Take stock off and wipe metal down with mineral spirits, then apply oil. Wipe what you can see off the wood (with just a plain rag, no mineral spirits). You are done. Contrary to internet Bubba BS there is no need to "strip" the stock. If you find it doesn't shoot where you want it to and it came with a bayonet put it on and try again. [/quote] Also be sure to disassemble your bolt and clean the Cosmo out of it. I like brake cleaner for this job, and if you're really lazy you don't even have to disassemble it to clean it this way. Just be sure to lightly oil after using the brake cleaner - otherwise you risk rust. Also clean up the magazine - usually a bunch of cosmo in there