Gun range sticker on car?

Guest Ugrey

I live in Memphis. The range I took my carry permit class at handed out their uniqe car window sticker and told us to put it on. They say they have never had a student with that sticker on their car carjacked. I see quite a few of them around town. I don't mind giving them the advertising, I thought they did a good job. Will this sticker get me any better treatment if stopped by an officer, or a hassle? Will it identify me, to him, as a good guy with no felonies, or if he is anti second amendment, will I have a problem. Will my carry permit already show up when he runs my tag or license? I sometimes lock my pistol in the trunk when I go into a posted or other business. (post office) How big of a risk, to be broken into for the gun, will this be? Thanks for any replies.

Mods. I thought I was in the concealed carry section. Please move if needed. So sorry.

Edited by Ugrey
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your HCP number and Driver's License number are the same, so when they run your license, it will show up that you have an HCP. A lot of people say that putting those stickers on your car will be a sign for thieves to break in but no one has ever cited any evidence for this. So I say go ahead if you really want to. But my personal philosophy is, a citizen with an HCP is just another person. No need to advertise it, flaunt it, or in anyway try to use it to curry favor with the police or anyone else. If the officer decides to cut you a break when he finds out you have an HCP, great, but I wouldn't personally put stickers on my car in the hopes of the officer cutting me any slack.

The range I took my carry permit class at handed out their uniqe car window sticker and told us to put it on. They say they have never had a student with that sticker on their car carjacked.

:yum: Like a car jacker looks to see what stickers you have. If you think that helps; get a PBPA sticker.

Will this sticker get me any better treatment if stopped by an officer, or a hassle? Will it identify me, to him, as a good guy with no felonies, or if he is anti second amendment, will I have a problem.

As a former Police Officer let me say this…

Cops are people, just like the people you work with everyday. They have varying views and ideas on the issues… just like the people you work with.

No one can say what a cop will think or do when he sees the sticker, your carry permit, a gun on you or anything else.

I would not even think about a gun range sticker if I saw one on a car I stopped. Now if you had something identifying you as a Harley Rider, Corvette owner or if you were a fine looking female; you might get a break. :D

I live in Memphis. The range I took my carry permit class at handed out their uniqe car window sticker and told us to put it on. They say they have never had a student with that sticker on their car carjacked. I see quite a few of them around town. I don't mind giving them the advertising, I thought they did a good job. Will this sticker get me any better treatment if stopped by an officer, or a hassle? Will it identify me, to him, as a good guy with no felonies, or if he is anti second amendment, will I have a problem. Will my carry permit already show up when he runs my tag or license? I sometimes lock my pistol in the trunk when I go into a posted or other business. (post office) How big of a risk, to be broken into for the gun, will this be? Thanks for any replies.

Mods. I thought I was in the concealed carry section. Please move if needed. So sorry.

It won't get you any special treatment. I know as soon as I run you what your carry permit status is. If you want to support the range then put it on your car. Just don't do it to seek any special treatment.

Thanks for the replies. I am 50 and I have never had a problem with an officer. I have never been a drinker and I have always said yes sir and no sir. I have been stopped maybe 12 times in my life for speeding. I am in a whole lot less of a hurry than when I was in my 20s.:death: I have never been more than 10 miles an hour over the limit and I have been let go with a warning over half the time. I alway figured most police were looking for other offences than just a speeding in a stop, drinking, drugs or warrants, and that is not me. I know one of the most dangerous things police do is to stop cars. They never know what they have. I had guessed if you stopped someone with a carry permit you would at least know you did not have a felon. Thanks for the replies. I am learning. I think I will leave my RangeMaster sticker off my car for now.

Your HCP number and Driver's License number are the same, so when they run your license, it will show up that you have an HCP. A lot of people say that putting those stickers on your car will be a sign for thieves to break in but no one has ever cited any evidence for this. So I say go ahead if you really want to. But my personal philosophy is, a citizen with an HCP is just another person. No need to advertise it, flaunt it, or in anyway try to use it to curry favor with the police or anyone else. If the officer decides to cut you a break when he finds out you have an HCP, great, but I wouldn't personally put stickers on my car in the hopes of the officer cutting me any slack.

+1 "No need to advertise it, flaunt it"

Guest gcrookston

My personal belief is to not have any stickers of any kind on my car (other than those legally required, such as emissions), with one exception: when one or both of my children are deploy, I will display either the one or two blue star service flag decal.

Guest canynracer
It won't get you any special treatment. I know as soon as I run you what your carry permit status is. If you want to support the range then put it on your car. Just don't do it to seek any special treatment.

I have one on my car to support the range I shoot at. nothing more...I think it is very important to support the local ranges before they go out of business. Then us "city slickers" will have no place to shoot :death:

I have never had any problems.

oh, and it is NOT a rangemaster sticker....:death:

• 2 weeks later...

Never have any sticker on clothing or cap,car etc. pertaining to guns, you might be the first to get shot if youre in a bank etc. while its being robbed, also if your at a place where no guns allowed, show etc. your vehicle will be a target parked with a sticker on it.

Since your gun will be in the car!:lol:

I don't advertize anything, either with stickers on my car or with my style of dress. If for any reason, I have to come down like a load of bricks on some guy, I want it to be a complete surprise! Mild mannered grandpa turned super trouble from out of the blue!

Do not underestimate the value of shock!

I agree with bkelm18....

Guys who break into cars are not only scared to death when they're doing it, they're stupid. Manys the time an unlocked car has had the windows bashed out for the criminal to enter the car...

I've never been cut a break by a LEO when pulled over. Even after showing him my HCP...apparently revenue money is fungible. Stickers my alert them, but IMHO I don't think it really persuades them in doing their job.

Remember...Armed Robbers' RULE #1: shoot the first guy you know has a gun and/or you see with a gun.

Yeah, carrying a concealed firearm is like carrying a roll of $100 bills.

You sure don't want everybody knowing you got it on you.

And don't pull it out until the serious business starts.:up:

Guest canynracer

I know a local range that DOES pay you...they write your plate number down, and you could win free range time. I have one, no issues...except of course, the time I won!

to each his own...its funny folks are worried about a little sticker on the back window..LOL...have you all seen THIS???

I am sure Joe has had his truck labeled for quite some time now...and I dont think its singled out because of his stickers. oh, and he is advertising the sale of guns...not just shooting them...there is a MUCH greater chance there will be "inventory" in his truck (even though we know there isnt) but the crooks dont.

they target the car unless they KNOW there is something in there they want...so before you sweat the sticker...how much are you "blinging"?

AHAHAHA! On a serious note, I see no problem with it. It's a to each their own kinda thing to me. Just don't do it to expect preferential treatment. Either slap it on as a support sticker or slap it on the gun safe.

As far as what Canyn said, I do know for a fact one local range does reward you if you have a sticker on your car and a manager sees it.

Guest Loaded247

I figure to each his own, and I actually see a fair amount of range stickers around town. With that said, I've attended classes at RangeMaster, and I've shot at Range USA. However, I don't have ANY range stickers on my vehicle. I'm also an NRA member, but don't have that sticker on my vehicle either....