Opinion: Shield vs Nano?

drivenfrmwithin

I have either owned or shot every single stack 9mm out there. I went through a lot of pistols before I finally found something I was satisfied with.

The only one I still currently own is the M&P Shield in 9mm.

The Nano is a good pistol, but I don't like shooting high bore height pistols, I like the trigger pull on the Shield much more, Shield gave me 1 extra round of capacity with the standard magazine and I didn't like the absence of a slide release.

I have only owned and shot the Shields in 9 and 40. The Shields really are great shooters that carry very well. The Nano is a little smaller if memory serves me correct. The Nano does not have a slide stop lever, really only an issue when clearing class three malfunctions. The Shield does have the manual safety which some dislike. It appears to me as if the Shields get slightly better reviews than the Nanos.

I don't have any first have experience with a Nano, but I also carry a Shield 9mm.  I have nothing bad to say about it.  Good trigger, light recoil for its size, and accurate.  I wanted something that fit my hand and the Shield did it better than any other small single stack 9mm.

Edited by Hozzie

Nano has a long pull stiff trigger w no safety

Shield has a 6# trigger and a thumb safety

Two totally different triggers and safety designs ....

I bought the wife a Nano,its shot well for me but not not as good as my Kahr PM9 

she hates her Nano and I am trading it in for a G42 (on backorder) ....She wants a 380,so be it.

The Shield shot well for me also but still not as good as my Kahr and about the same as my Nano

Nano and Shield cost 400 bucks,PM9 was substantially more .

Cant go wrong with either IMO,depends on what kinda of safety you prefer

Wow!  Good info. Anybody need a good/not-so-good "slightly used" Nano?  :stunned:

LOL Hope that's not yours. But as far as my comments, I'm not saying the Nano is a pos, just that for me the disadvantages far outweigh the little guns' capabilities.

I found it hard to control, hold, and decidedly uncomfortable to shoot. It seemed to be accurate, but after a few mags; I 'd had enough of it. I have read here about how great it is. But like all guns, it is very subjective. We all don't like the same things.

if you have one and love it, great. That's good for you. I didn't.

I've had Kahr, PPS in 9 and 40, a Keltec PF9 and 11, the Taurus 709 Slim, and several other small 9mm handguns. It just seems that the Shield works best for me.

I too have owned both, first I had the nano. I never could get a full clip to run through it without FTE or double feeding. It seemed to do better if I loaded the mag 1 round short. Never felt comfortable with it and I tried several different types of ammo. Sold it and bought a shield which was what I wanted to start with just could never find one. I have had zero issues with the shield with multiple types of ammo. She's a keeper. The only thing is I wish it didn't have the safety. I never use it but when I have to pull I'm afraid it will have somehow got flipped on. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

nano trigger is very bad.  Its long, heavy, and compresses a big spring that you can feel the coils grating inside, its super gritty and several hundred rounds later about like it was on day 1.   Everything else about the gun is very nice. 

Shield is excellent. 

Have handled and put a few rounds through both, then purchased an XD-S :).  That being said, I do like the feel of the Shield.  Nano is a little top-heavy (high bore axis) in my opinion, but was still fun to shoot.  LGS has a .40 Shield that keeps catching my eye.  Might add it to collection soon.

The Xds is not bad, I had one in 45acp. The ergonomics of the XDS is every bit as good as te Shield. Recoil was to be expected, I hear the 9mm feels the same as the 45 for the most part. I got rid of it to go back to a Shield which recoils so much less.

I've had both the Nano was too blocky and set high in hand. The 9mm Shield was a lot more comfortable and easier to carry.  I sold both and I bought my carry  9mm Compact M&P for it fits my hand better, more rounds, and very accurate. Everyone is different, so good luck with your decision.

Edited by lshel

I'm in on the Nano side.  I handled both quite a bit, and picked the Nano because it fit my hand better and just seemed to be the more solid of the two.  I don't shoot it a lot, but I ran a couple boxes of ammo through it before I carried it, and didn't have a single problem.  Trigger on mine is not gritty at all, and I like the long trigger pull as opposed to the safety.  Works great for me.

IMO the Nano is a pos.  Long and hard trigger pull; awkward hand fit; no slide lock, to start with.  I didn't like it out of the box and neither did the young lady for whom it was purchased.  The Shield is in a whole different class IMO, as is the Kahr CM9, both which I still own.  FWIW, the Nano is gone, replaced by another Shield.

Wifey wanted a Nano cuz it was pink. I asked her to just hold the Shield side by side w the nano. We ended up with a Shield. That's saying a lot, cuz she's really hung up on the idea of a pink gun!

I absolutely love the Shield 9. If I could find a way to swap my M&P9c for a 40 Shield with a little cash coming my way, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I'm sure the Nano fails the stringent requirements of the true connoisseurs of combat weaponry. But it works for my minimal needs. I ran a whole 5 clips of various reloads thru it and realized before I bought it, it ain't no target pistol. No FTF and trigger let-off predictable. Don't need safety for DAO, IMHO.  It's the first, and likely only Beretta I've ever owned.  A couple of Taurus' PT92 and 99 are the closest on that, and didn't like the feel or design of those.  Never owned a S&W auto either, although I'm SURE they've improved since the model 39/59 days.

Just as soon as this Nano falls apart in my hand , I'll feel confident in replacing it with a Shield.

p290 is probably on par in size and whatnot to the others, so sure, its a pocket 9 and could be considered.  I like the 938, but usually don't say anything due to the price and "not for everyone" setup.

Ill say one more thing about the nano:

its a left handed gun.   The mag drop swaps sides with nothing but a needle for tools, there is no safety, its a solid choice for a lefty if you like the platform.

And it passes the only test that matters: it works every time.   If you can actually pull the trigger, that is :P

p290 is probably on par in size and whatnot to the others, so sure, its a pocket 9 and could be considered.  I like the 938, but usually don't say anything due to the price and "not for everyone" setup.

Ill say one more thing about the nano:

its a left handed gun.   The mag drop swaps sides with nothing but a needle for tools, there is no safety, its a solid choice for a lefty if you like the platform.

And it passes the only test that matters: it works every time.   If you can actually pull the trigger, that is :P

Did a little reading on the 938. Could be perfect for many. I'm a current multi-Sig owner and devotee. But in my senior years I'm not trusting myself with the cocked-and-locked SA set-up as a carry piece. Great for home defense. I still have an EMP of that persuasion.  I really like this DAO with no safety for carry purposes. Less thinking I suppose. This Nano is the first I've had of that type(I think). Been soooo many over 40+ years.  But no Glocks. No offense Glock fans.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

Did a little reading on the 938. Could be perfect for many. I'm a current multi-Sig owner and devotee. But in my senior years I'm not trusting myself with the cocked-and-locked SA set-up as a carry piece. Great for home defense. I still have an EMP of that persuasion. I really like this DAO with no safety for carry purposes. Less thinking I suppose. This Nano is the first I've had of that type(I think). Been soooo many over 40+ years. But no Glocks. No offense Glock fans.

You like the Nano but you don't like Glocks? The Nano is awfully Glock like.