Metal Detecting Finds (Update, 3 hits, 3 finds in 20 minutes)

Guest TankerHC

I have also considered getting into buying one and going shopping under ground but I cannot find a good detector I can afford and don't want to buy junk to begin with. I think it would be a good reason to get me out of the house more and I know several large farms I could go to that were settles in the mid 1800's and a few of them had battles fought on them during civil war and also between Indians and settlers.

Guest TankerHC

Me and the BIL were messing around with it this morning. Decided to cross the creek into the woods. About 50 yards behind the house first found the fuse. From markings seems to be a "Rejection Base Plug Fuse" from the 50's. So, its just an old fuse.4

He found the penny in the yard. 1967, in this condition worth about 15-20 cents.

But the good find is the bolt. I messaged someone from The Practical Machinist. It is an iron Turnbull Wagon Bolt  NUT not bolt, nut from a turnbull bolt from a Turnbull Farm Wagon manufactured sometime between 1873 and 1889. Turnbull was the only Company that made square bolts and NUTS. All the other Wagon Makers made round bolts. I dont care about monetary value, which there probably isn't any anyway. But its interesting to find something that was attached to a wagon that some Farmer rode around in 125 years ago.

IMG_0277_zps23f22f25.jpg

IMG_0275_zpsa1cc987b.jpg

IMG_0274_zpse41b0d9e.jpg

Edited by TankerHC
Guest TankerHC

And then tell everyone!

Too bad they may not get to keep it, and if so only half, if that. According to three news reports I read today.

1. First the State needs to see if it can locate the descendants of the owners of the property, if so, the finders are not entitled to the find, it belongs to the descendants.

2. The Federal Government believes this may be the loot from a guy who worked at the San Francisco mint. In 1901 he was convicted of stealing $30,000 in Gold coins from the mint's vaults, the Gold coins were never recovered but he was convicted because he was the only one who had the key. If that is the case, then the coins belong to Uncle Sam and the finders get nothing.

3. If neither 1 nor 2  is true, then the finders have to pay a Federal "Found Treasure" Tax the same as any other Treasure find. Along with the State Tax which does give the Federal Tax an offset, the total tax is 49% of value, not what they sell for. So whatever the appraiser appraises the coins for, the finders owe 49% of that, to be paid by THIS April 15th since they found them in March of last year, whether they sell them or not. If they cannot pay, the coins will be confiscated by the IRS. 

Too bad they may not get to keep it, and if so only half, if that. According to three news reports I read today.

1. First the State needs to see if it can locate the descendants of the owners of the property, if so, the finders are not entitled to the find, it belongs to the descendants.

2. The Federal Government believes this may be the loot from a guy who worked at the San Francisco mint. In 1901 he was convicted of stealing $30,000 in Gold coins from the mint's vaults, the Gold coins were never recovered but he was convicted because he was the only one who had the key. If that is the case, then the coins belong to Uncle Sam and the finders get nothing.

3. If neither 1 nor 2 is true, then the finders have to pay a Federal "Found Treasure" Tax the same as any other Treasure find. Along with the State Tax which does give the Federal Tax an offset, the total tax is 49% of value, not what they sell for. So whatever the appraiser appraises the coins for, the finders owe 49% of that, to be paid by THIS April 15th since they found them in March of last year, whether they sell them or not. If they cannot pay, the coins will be confiscated by the IRS.

D.S.S

Detect.Shovel.Shut up.

Or, D.D.D

Detect.Dig.Don't be the idiot who goes around proclaiming "I found millions of dollars in doubloons in my back yard". Edited by TrickyNicky
  • Like 1
Guest TankerHC

D.S.S

Detect.Shovel.Shut up.

Or, D.D.D

Detect.Dig.Don't be the idiot who goes around proclaiming "I found millions of dollars in doubloons in my back yard".

You may remember this same thing happened last year. Some couple came across their fathers safe  with some Gold coins that were never released by the US Mint. The Government said they were stolen. (They were) annd purchased by the guy who's safe they were found in. Cannot recall details off the top of my head, but believe the guy may have also worked at the mint or had somehow gotten into the mint on business. The coins were worth a couple of million. US Gov says they were stolen and wanted them back. Never did hear a resolution to that one. 

Guest TankerHC

The couple who found the 10 million in Gold Coins are now facing arrest. In California there is a law that states any find over XX amount has to be reported to the Police and an ad ran to find the decendents of the owners of the find.  

Now, they face arrest for finding the coins on their own property, but not reporting them.

The IRS says they owe them 4 million, even if they do not sell the coins.

The Government says they were likely the stolen hoard from the SF mint and that they belong to the Government.

They owe the State 17% tax (1.7 million) for the find.

They might as well forget it. Between the Fed, the IRS (seperately), the State of California and the local police, they are going to end up with nothing. 

• Moderators
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1119508" timestamp="1393872232"]The couple who found the 10 million in Gold Coins are now facing arrest. In California there is a law that states any find over XX amount has to be reported to the Police and an ad ran to find the decendents of the owners of the find. Now, they face arrest for finding the coins on their own property, but not reporting them. The IRS says they owe them 4 million, even if they do not sell the coins. The Government says they were likely the stolen hoard from the SF mint and that they belong to the Government. They owe the State 17% tax (1.7 million) for the find. They might as well forget it. Between the Fed, the IRS (seperately), the State of California and the local police, they are going to end up with nothing. [/quote] 'Merica! Yeeeeaaaahhhh!!!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[quote name="TankerHC" post="1119508" timestamp="1393872232"]The couple who found the 10 million in Gold Coins are now facing arrest. In California there is a law that states any find over XX amount has to be reported to the Police and an ad ran to find the decendents of the owners of the find. Now, they face arrest for finding the coins on their own property, but not reporting them. The IRS says they owe them 4 million, even if they do not sell the coins. The Government says they were likely the stolen hoard from the SF mint and that they belong to the Government. They owe the State 17% tax (1.7 million) for the find. They might as well forget it. Between the Fed, the IRS (seperately), the State of California and the local police, they are going to end up with nothing. [/quote] Sickening!