Clarksville HS Student Suspended and Charged for Father's Knife in Father's Car

A high school student in Montgomery County has been suspended after school officials found a knife inside his father's car. 

David Duren-Sanner should be spending his time going through college and scholarship applications this time of year.

Instead, he's wondering if he'll even be able to graduate after what hundreds of people are calling an overreaction to a mistake.

On Thursday, Duren-Sanner, a senior at Northeast High School drove his father's car to school. During a random lockdown, his car was chosen to be searched.

Duren-Sanner gave permission because he said he had nothing to hide.

His father is a commercial fisherman on the West Coast and had apparently left a fishing knife in the car. Duren-Sanner's father said it might have been wedged between one of the seats.

Duren-Sanner said he told school officials and the Sheriff's department the car was his father's and he didn't know the knife was in it.

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/24811452/clarksville-student-suspended-for-knife-in-fathers-car

Here's the Board of Education and all but one have email addresses. 

https://www.cmcss.net/aboutus/schoolboard.aspx

Here's the email I sent to each of them individually - 

Mr. XYZ,

I recently was disappointed to read of the case of David Duren-Sanner and the schools intransigence in misapplying the zero tolerance criteria to his father's knife found in his father's vehicle that young Mr. Duren-Sanner had driven to school.  

I simply ask that you support this young man in the board hearing on Wednesday and return him to school.

Thank you,

"HSO"  (father of a TN HS student).

Edited by hso
Guest TresOsos

Dumbasses.........will this *hit ever stop.

I am so glad my kids are grown and gone......I would have to home school today.

No way I would want my kids taught by these imbeciles..

Edited by TresOsos

Here's the email I sent to each of them individually - 

Mr. XYZ,

I recently was disappointed to read of the case of David Duren-Sanner and the schools intransigence in misapplying the zero tolerance criteria to his father's knife found in his father's vehicle that young Mr. Duren-Sanner had driven to school.  

I simply ask that you support this young man in the board hearing on Wednesday and return him to school.

Thank you,

"HSO"  (father of a TN HS student).

Ok, so who else had to google "intransigence"?   :lol:

But seriously... yes that's stupid.  Dad should do a better job cleaning out the car. 

Guest TresOsos

Ok, so who else had to google "intransigence"?   :lol:

But seriously... yes that's stupid.  Dad should do a better job cleaning out the car. 

That's right, blame this zero tolerance stupidity on the dad.

Guest tangojuliet

Typical school stupidity.  I wonder how I and many other guys went through high school with evil knives in our vehicles and in our pockets.

I'm surprised the schools today even let kids have a pencil and pen, since those are pointed objects! 

well i graduated highschool in 2011 ( i know im a young buck) and trust me we carried blades all the time we just never too em out unless we had too like for agriculture class or something the teacher needed something done 

Don't forget the sandwich shaped like a gun. Stupid is stupid. I go back far enough to remember deer strapped to the hood in a school parking lot. Straight from the field to school for some people. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......
Guest TresOsos

well we cant have responsibility of ones action in the modern age

Yes we can have personal responsibility and unfortunately we also have zero tolerance stupitity, by a bunch of liberal, progressive bedwetters.

Yes we can have personal responsibility and unfortunately we also have zero tolerance stupitity, by a bunch of liberal, progressive bedwetters.

You seriously think a kid should not be able to have a knife and it's the dad's fault?

No wonder we are screwed.

A knife is a tool like any other tool and can be used for good or bad.  What is the difference between a knife, a tire iron, or a flashlight?  All can be used to hurt someone and all can be used to fix things.  99% of the time such objects are used as tools. 

So are the rescue knives with the glass breakers also considered 'weapons' by the all knowing public school educators?

It seems like the schools are more concerned with turning young men into sissies and making the public afraid of ordinary objects than actually teaching school.  Do these schools not have Home Ec or shop anymore? 

• Like 2
Guest TresOsos

You seriously think a kid should not be able to have a knife and it's the dad's fault?

No wonder we are screwed.

I think you mistook my position, I think its fine the kid has a knife and its none of the schools damn business.

I think this is a totally stupid over reaction by pantywaste bedwetting school administrators.

This similar to the fight we as adults face every day. The law abiding citizens (good students) are constantly under fire, hopefully rendered helpless by these liberal bit&#es, while the criminals (young criminals) will have whatever they want with nobody complaining about it because it's racist! The difference is, kids should not have to deal with supposedly grown adults (teachers and people running the school) force their views on them.

• Like 1
Guest Lowbuster

I went to pick up my daughter today at school and a lady's SUV was leaking antifreeze. I got out of my jeep and asked if she needed help, I returned to my jeep when I was yelled at by police at the school. The officer asked if I had a gun on me, and I said no. I guess with my work jacket pulled down, my flashlight and multi tool looked like a firearm. Officer said just checking and returned to patrol car. That's the last time I get out to help.
There should be some tolerances to where we don't have to worry about picking up our children.

1FD147CC-5852-4656-958E-75F0CC05AF0B_zps

We have people getting all worked up about something that may or may not happen in Connecticut. While here in own state we have this happening. If you have a group of adults that call themselves “The School Board” and they have met in a room and decided that this is okay…. You have a serious problem with your school board.

Zero tolerance is for people that are not capable of doing their jobs.

I think you mistook my position, I think its fine the kid has a knife and its none of the schools damn business.

I think this is a totally stupid over reaction by pantywaste bedwetting school administrators.

My bad. Sorry about that.

At our local high school, kids carry knives and no one cares.

Edited by sigmtnman
Guest TresOsos

When I was in school we could have shotguns and rifles in our cars and nobody cared.

We even had a rifle team and a 50 foot rifle range in the ROTC building.

Back then a teacher or principal would not dare think of searching or even asking to search a car without contacting parents first.

This is just an example of the rights we have given up, without really realizing it.

But then again I did not worry about what the school was going to do if I did something stupid or disrespectful, I worried

about what my dad was going to do.

Edited by TresOsos

... And I agree completely.

However, I'm quite sure the Dad knew about the policy. Let your kid borrow your car? Make darn sure there's nothing in it that might get him in trouble. It's certainly not the boy's fault. If there's any blame to be assigned, it's with Dad. Stupid rule or not.

And yes, I too carried a pocket knife all through school. Teachers would occasionally ask to borrow it because they knew it was sharp.
Guest TresOsos

... And I agree completely.

However, I'm quite sure the Dad knew about the policy. Let your kid borrow your car? Make darn sure there's nothing in it that might get him in trouble. It's certainly not the boy's fault. If there's any blame to be assigned, it's with Dad. Stupid rule or not.

And yes, I too carried a pocket knife all through school. Teachers would occasionally ask to borrow it because they knew it was sharp.

Agreed and if it was my kid, I'd be down there telling them if you got a problem its with me and not the kid.

Fact is zero tolerance is an assinine policy to begin with.

I had a similar incident happen when my son was a senior at Northwest High in Clarksville. He and I went deer hunting on a Sunday and he harvested a deer. In handling the deer he had gotten some blood on his jacket. Sunday evening, it got put in the washer but not the dryer. Monday morning as he was getting ready to head out to school, he asked if he could borrow my jacket as his wasn't dry enough to wear. I said yes. Later that morning I received a call from the school to come and get him as he had been suspended for three days for having an unfired rifle shell in the jacket pocket. When I unloaded the round out of my rifle the day prior, I just put it in my pocket. Totally my fault, and was an over site on my part. I fought and fought with the school board over his suspension. It was too no avail! I have put three kids, and four grandkids through school here, and I can say in all honestly, that the Clarksville Montgomery County School System has go to be one of the worst in the country! Their "Zero Tolerance" policy needs more than a little fine tuning!!!!

PS: While he was suspended from school, he hunted everyday and harvested a very nice 8 point buck. When he went back to school he made sure he showed that buck's picture to the teacher who got him suspended and thanked him for the time off! I have taught my children to respect persons of authority, but as a Dad, you have to overlook some things, sometimes!

DaveS

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 5