Glock maintenance

graycrait

Guest SavageOne

I like Glocks for some of the same reasons as the author. Easy to fix, parts available and inexpensive. I carried Glocks the last 7yrs of my working life, mdl 21 and 22. I spent almost 6 yrs competing in IDPA/USPSA shooting Glocks exclusively, 17/22/34/35. I've broken many trigger return springs, several slide stop springs, and one slide lock. The lock bar it'self, not the spring. Weird, at the "Load and Make Ready" command, I loaded normally, and as I attempted to holster the gun, the slide fell off the frame. Took a lot of ribbing from the 1911 guys.

Generally speaking Glocks are about as reliable as a mechincal object can be. In all fairness most modern pistol platforms are. I'm currently shooting mostly CZs, but I have a Glock range bag packed should I decide to shoot one of the Glocks. In that bag are just about all the internal parts in the event I break something. The same is true for my CZ or 1911 bags. No matter what you shoot, if you shoot it enough, something will break. The Glocks are just so darn easy to field repair. It's nice to have a screwdriver and a punch, but I can get by with only a nail for a tool if need be. Gotta love um!

I'll never shoot 10K rds/yr in any gun except if .22LR ever "comes back" at a price I can afford.  I have handled a lot of Glocks personally and for a job I once had.  Even went to the Glock Armorers course a few years ago.  The only parts I have seen break are the trigger spring hooks, as noted in the link and the slide lock lever.  If both of a shooters hands work I would recommend "sling shotting" the slide on the Glock rather than using the slide stop lever as a slide release lever.  That bit of stamped metal called the slide stop can wear out rather quickly if someone shoots his Glock a lot and uses that lever to release the slide a lot.  I've tried to use the NY spring in place of the standard trigger return spring, but I can't do it if I have a choice, even if I take the coil spring out of the NY device. 

I've had people tell me about a locking block or two or cracking but I have never seen it.  The only reason  2 of my 3 remaining carry pistols are Glocks is due to their reasonable size, weight, are reliable, parts are cheap and plentiful if you need them, it is an easy design to work with and you don't have to coddle them.  I have had the good fortune to have been able to own quite a few good handguns and shoot a heck of lot more.  When I felt I needed to economize and downsize the "accumulation" by separating the "wheat from the chaff" two Glock 9mms remain along with my Keltec 32.  

• Like 1

Like my AR, I have a full spare set of springs and things for my G26/G19. I even have spare barrels....not that I'll ever need them but I have them. Maybe one day I'll find a spare frame as well......everyone should have spare parts for their firearms and know how to change things out. Keeping with Glocks and AR's for me is blindly simple for spare parts and the tools I'd need to fixem with.....easy peasy I tell ya.......

• Like 1

My next purchase was going to be an early production gen3 glock 30, the one without the rail. Has anyone else had problems with the spring breaking on their 30 like this guy's did?

What you're looking for is a Gen 2.5 - yes on finger grooves, no on the rail. A Gen 3 G30 will have a rail.

Springs are cheap and are considered a wear item. I keep several on hand since I run 34/35 size guns and a G19. I don't know of anything with springs that don't wear out the springs.

I read on GlockTalk from an armorer for a police department that issues 40 cals that the locking block pins got bent and broken because they shoehorned a 40 cal into a 9mm gun. He went on to say they told him in the Sig Armorer course that this is why Sig came out with the P229 because using the 40 caliber slides on P228 frames made for a sweet gun but they failed at around 5000 rounds. So they beefed up the frames.