What AK-47 7.62x39 magazine do you use and why?

I am in need of a few AK-47 7.62x39 magazines and would like to here everyone's experiences with different manufactures and why you use the ones you do. Pluses and minuses with other brands as well. Thanks in advance for the help.

I use metal yugo mil surplus bolt hold open mags in the AK I shoot the most and standard metal mil surplus in my other AK47. The bolt hold open mags only work in certain AK's. I run primarily Tapco polymer mags in my AK74 because 74 mags are more expensive. I have run some AK47 tapco mags and they have all run well. I have never had a problem with any of my tapco mags.If I were starting from scratch, I would probably just go with the new magpul AK magazines. I have no first hand experience with them though. 

I prefer surplus steel. They are pretty much indestructible, and they work for me every time. The prices on them are starting to come down again, so I'd pick a few up while you still can.

I have a few Tapco mags that I picked up cheap for range use. They work, but I have serious concerns about whether the lugs will wear out from repeated use since they are plastic and do not have steel reinforcement. One of the magazines I bought was severely out of spec, and Tapco replaced it for free under their lifetime warranty - so they do have that going for them.

Anything, but American made mags. You won't save money going with US mags and they have proven to be hit and miss on reliability, fit, and durability. Com-bloc mags are like AK's ... they just work.

The Magpuls are interesting but I'll wait till they come out with the Gen2's that have the metal reinforcement tabs like the Bulgarian Circle 10's, the pinnacle of the AK mag world. Toth Tool is also coming out with a Circle 10 quality mag that promises to be interesting depending on cost. I would also stay away from the KCI (Korean Mags). Outside of Tapco's, they are the only mags I've had feed issues out of.

• Like 2

I had no idea that Magpul even made AK mags. I really like their products and may try them. I wonder when the gen2 will be available and the pricing on them?

The price on Tapco seems like a real winner even cheaper than mill surplus mags.

Pricing on the Bulgarian circle 10 mags seem really high. Wonder if the are worth it or not?

The Yugo surplus mags do seem to very affordable as well.

Thanks for the help so far keep it coming

I had no idea that Magpul even made AK mags. I really like their products and may try them. I wonder when the gen2 will be available and the pricing on them?

The price on Tapco seems like a real winner even cheaper than mill surplus mags.

Pricing on the Bulgarian circle 10 mags seem really high. Wonder if the are worth it or not?

The Yugo surplus mags do seem to very affordable as well.

Thanks for the help so far keep it coming

Price is the only thing Tapco has going for it, but if you watch you can find mil-surp for near the same price.

Are the Circle 10's worth it? Debatable. They are by far the nicest, best AK mags made but they don't run any better than steel surplus mags and the cost has become prohibitive. If I had unlimited funds I'd have nothing but Circle 10's, but being that I can get 3 or 4 surplus mags for the same price I don't have many Circle 10's.

There are also some Bulgarian poly mags that have steel reinforced lugs and feed lips that CDNN is selling and I have a few that work really well. Just have to be careful as there as Bulgarian "commercial" mags that look identical but lack the metal reinforcement.

Anything, but American made mags. You won't save money going with US mags and they have proven to be hit and miss on reliability, fit, and durability. Com-bloc mags are like AK's ... they just work.

The Magpuls are interesting but I'll wait till they come out with the Gen2's that have the metal reinforcement tabs like the Bulgarian Circle 10's, the pinnacle of the AK mag world. Toth Tool is also coming out with a Circle 10 quality mag that promises to be interesting depending on cost. I would also stay away from the KCI (Korean Mags). Outside of Tapco's, they are the only mags I've had feed issues out of.

Com-bloc steel mags. I've bought some from several different sources and they have all been functionally reliable. A bitch to clean though. The greasiest mags I've ever ad.
My go to AK mags are circle 10. Metal reinforced where it counts and lighter weight. Excellent mags. Hopefully magpul will beat them when they come out with their metal reinforced version. I also like the smooth spined mil spec metal mags but they are hard to find.
This is a good deal, swim. I've bought three 10 packs and all have been functional. A few required me to punch out some light dents to allow the follower to move freely, but this is the best going on for surplus mags. APEX is an exceptional vendor as well.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_122/products_id/2271%5B/quote%5D

Edit: forgot to mention, my buddy bought a 10 pack and got a steel Finnish Valmet mag with the lanyard loop! Those are very uncommon here! Edited by austin7.62
  • Like 1

Com-bloc steel mags. I've bought some from several different sources and they have all been functionally reliable. A bitch to clean though. The greasiest mags I've ever ad.

Wait till you finally get a M92 PAP Krink. Took a steel brush and 3/4 a can of brake cleaner PER mag to clean em and there were five...

Edited by whitewolf001

Wait till you finally get a M92 PAP Krink. Took a steel brush and 3/4 a can of brake cleaner PER mag to clean em and there were five...

You are not making my desire for the PAP any easier. I really, really hate cleaning and degreasing mags.