FB cracks down on illegal gun sales

I'm a member of several local Facebook gun trading pages.  I don't know of a better outlet to catch a deal from time to time.  Of course there is plenty of over priced junk to wade through to find the deals.  I was late on the draw the other day and missed a 10/22 for $125.  These gun trading groups are private groups with moderators, anyone can join and the mods can delete users they see fit, not that it is a fool proof system, but neither is TGO or any other outlet for that matter.  Facebook is not evil if you don't do stupid things with it, it's a good tool.  The people that bad mouth Facebook are most often just like the people that bad mouth guns, they are unfamiliar with it and are ignorant about it so in their minds it must be bad.

• Like 4

The people that bad mouth Facebook are most often just like the people that bad mouth guns, they are unfamiliar with it and are ignorant about it so in their minds it must be bad.

Most excellent post !!!

Guest TankerHC

Oh well, I was wrong on that one. They are deleting every gun post that does not require a background check based on pressure from Anti Gun Groups.. So much for dumb book. Ill be completely deleting my account, for those who think they cannot, yes, you can, under the latest Web Laws they have no choice, takes two weeks, but I will be deleting tonight after I let my family know. 

Considering that other than Political and one Military group as well as my local neighborhood group, from when I was a kid, everything I do on there is firearms related, I no longer have a use for dumb book. 

I'm a bit surprised that anyone would use Facebook to sell or buy a firearm...equally surprised that a company like Facebook wouldn't just delete such posts automatically.  :shrug:

While I feel TGO is the safest place to buy and sell firearms, outside of that, Facebook is no better or worse than any other website where you'd buy and sell. I started a Facebook page for buying and selling, and I'm a member of several more. I've had nothing but good luck so far.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

I'm on a lot of "gun sites" on facebook and I have never seen anyone selling a gun with "no background checks" in the post. What they need to watch if they were really wanting to "curb the illegal sales" is the Swap and Shop type pages in states where private sales requires a background check. But of course Witch Crying about Rights....err I mean Mom Demand Action wouldn't have any fap material over that.

In said groups I've been seeing phrases such as "BGC required per Facebook rules" basically that tells me that people are continuing to do FTF sales, most likely w/o background checks.  Facebook has no way of enforcing this rule. 

• Like 1

From a technical perspective. Facebook knows more about you than you do.

Big data is about understanding complex social networks, the natural hierarchies (leaders/followers) and group dynamics.  The purpose is using it for predictive analysis. 

Facebook is the largest source of Big Data available.  It is nothing more than a big aquarium.

From a technical perspective. Facebook knows more about you than you do.

Big data is about understanding complex social networks, the natural hierarchies (leaders/followers) and group dynamics.  The purpose is using it for predictive analysis. 

Facebook is the largest source of Big Data available.  It is nothing more than a big aquarium.

Which is the main reason that I ain't on it.

I really don't understand the above or how it relates to what I said in the post you are quoting.

How is requiring a BC check "crossing the line"..what line?  In TN if you are crossing state lines you have to go through an FFL; what's the big deal???

the deal is that background checks between individuals are not required.  That is NOT cracking down on an illegal gun sale (as the press is calling the move).  It is cracking down on a legal gun sale.

The reason I have a problem with the background check is the fee.  Yes, that is TN, but there is no need for a fee.   A lot of used guns are sold in the 100-200 range and 10 bucks is 5-10% tax on it with the check.  Then because the check requires a FFL you will pay another $20 fee to the shop you use unless you know someone that can do it as a favor.   So now looking at more than 10% the value of many transactions as a tax.  

Until the checks are 100% free as a service given away to protect people, they are a tax on a right and I am against them.  

If someone is selling *across state lines* without going thru the hoops, that is an illegal sale and I have no problem with FB putting its foot down on it; I encourage them to do so.   Same for any other ACTUALLY ILLEGAL sales, I encourage FB to crack down all it wants on those.   If they block a user from selling locally without a check, that is the line they do not need to cross.  

From the looks of it, FB would probably rather the subject go away (My take on it).  Someone did something bad and got some publicity stirred up.  Now FB is between a rock and a hard place --- no matter WHAT they do, it will make someone mad.  If they only block illegal sales, the idiots against guns will be mad.  If they block all sales, gun owners will be mad.   Either way they could lose users if they do not duck and cover carefully.  

I belong to several groups on FB.  A couple are national ones.  I've found it to be a great place to see some interesting Mil Surplus stuff!  I also belong to some of the local ones.  Some of the items that are offered for sale are very good deals as DS pointed out.  Some are WAY high.  There is one guy selling a Mini-14 with a folding stock, the original stock and several mags for $1470.  And there was another guy that was selling a Hi-Point .45 for $250 and he wasn't budging on the price.  I find those offers amusing!

the deal is that background checks between individuals are not required. That is NOT cracking down on an illegal gun sale (as the press is calling the move). It is cracking down on a legal gun sale.

The reason I have a problem with the background check is the fee. Yes, that is TN, but there is no need for a fee. A lot of used guns are sold in the 100-200 range and 10 bucks is 5-10% tax on it with the check. Then because the check requires a FFL you will pay another $20 fee to the shop you use unless you know someone that can do it as a favor. So now looking at more than 10% the value of many transactions as a tax.

Until the checks are 100% free as a service given away to protect people, they are a tax on a right and I am against them.

If someone is selling *across state lines* without going thru the hoops, that is an illegal sale and I have no problem with FB putting its foot down on it; I encourage them to do so. Same for any other ACTUALLY ILLEGAL sales, I encourage FB to crack down all it wants on those. If they block a user from selling locally without a check, that is the line they do not need to cross.

From the looks of it, FB would probably rather the subject go away (My take on it). Someone did something bad and got some publicity stirred up. Now FB is between a rock and a hard place --- no matter WHAT they do, it will make someone mad. If they only block illegal sales, the idiots against guns will be mad. If they block all sales, gun owners will be mad. Either way they could lose users if they do not duck and cover carefully.

I do understand as well as anyone that background checks are both an infringement on our rights as well as rather useless. However, I do think we should keep in mind that background checks for intrastate face to face sales between private parties are required by some states - since Facebook is not a "Tennessee" site I don't really see this as a problem; really more of a CYA move as much as anything.

After all, FB is not even a firearm related site...if I owned FB I might put the same kind of stipulation on posts where people are trying to buy/sell firearms just to avoid trouble down the road.

Finally, FB putting that stipulation in a post is not an binding agreement on the two private individuals if their state of residence does not require BG checks for private sales then they are still free to do the sale without one.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest TankerHC
No one did anything bad. AP has only been reporting on it for 4 days. Zuckerberg stated the reason. A combination of pressure from Bloomberg, MAIG, Mother's, and several others. All supported by Bloomberg.

Let everyone else support his sponsors. There are 1200 other social networks that don't support Blooming idiot. Not to mention forums and blog sites. Same as changing the channel. I just turned fb off.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2