Sam Adams Brewing gets hard over Gay Agenda

R_Bert

and backs out of the Boston St. Pats parade because AMVETS won't allow banners (not paraders) supporting LGBT.

I wonder if these companies literally have a budget line item "politically correct losses"?

I would think that they would want both sides to drink beer.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/15/Sam-Adams-Beer-Withdraws-From-St-Patrick-Day-Parade-Over-Gay-Marchers-Ban#disqus_thread

4 - 6% of the population are homosexual.  They have a political impact far beyond that.  (It's almost as if their political sponsors - the left - have an interest in destroying the nuclear family).  If a brewery wants to offend 95% to score points with 5%, well, their choice.  Not a brilliant one.

• Like 4

4 - 6% of the population are homosexual.  They have a political impact far beyond that.  (It's almost as if their political sponsors - the left - have an interest in destroying the nuclear family).  If a brewery wants to offend 95% to score points with 5%, well, their choice.  Not a brilliant one.

False dichotomy. I'm part of your theoretical 95%, but I'm not offended at all. It's their company and their money. If they want to stop spending it with an organization after a difference of opinion that's their choice. No different than my choice not to spend money at an establishment that won't allow CCW.
I wish we lived in a time where businesses weren't pressured to take a stand on an issue, then judged on which side of the issue they chose to stand on. I wish they could just sell stuff and people could be happy with that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 8

and backs out of the Boston St. Pats parade because AMVETS won't allow banners (not paraders) supporting LGBT.

I wonder if these companies literally have a budget line item "politically correct losses"?

I would think that they would want both sides to drink beer.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/15/Sam-Adams-Beer-Withdraws-From-St-Patrick-Day-Parade-Over-Gay-Marchers-Ban#disqus_thread

If a company (corporation, privately owned business, whatever) wants to "take a stand" against the homosexual lifestyle; I'm okay with that; it's their business.  If they want to take a stand FOR the homosexual lifestyle I'm okay with that too for the same reason.

Sam Adams likely just made a business decision to not participate in a St Patrick's day parade because the parade organizers don't want a pro-homosexual banner in their parade.  Every time a business makes a decision about...well...just about anything; they are going to anger some of their customers...it's up to the business to decide who they want to anger, not anger or anger the least.

I've no quarrel with Sam Adams before this nor do I have one now...I'm not much of a bear drinker but I've had a few Sam Adams and liked it and will likely do so in the future.

I think Sam Adams could give a rat's behind about gay rights. They just don't want to be involved in the wave of negative media that is about to be thrown at this "intolerant" event. I don't blame Sam Adams for succumbing to bully tactics; they're just a business and they exist to make money. I bet, regardless of their political or religious views, the employees of Sam Adams want the company to stay as far away from this as possible. I don't expect Sam Adams to take a stand. I expect them to operate a successful business model. Despite what anyone thinks, they have far more to lose by staying with this event than backing away from it. I'm not saying I agree that the circumstances are fair, it's just the reality of it. The left control the media and they will permanently destroy Sam Adams. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Sam Adams could give a rat's behind about gay rights. They just don't want to be involved in the wave of negative media that is about to be thrown at this "intolerant" event. I don't blame Sam Adams for succumbing to bully tactics; they're just a business and they exist to make money. I bet, regardless of their political or religious views, the employees of Sam Adams want the company to stay as far away from this as possible. I don't expect Sam Adams to take a stand. I expect them to operate a successful business model. Despite what anyone thinks, they have far more to lose by staying with this event than backing away from it. I'm not saying I agree that the circumstances are fair, it's just the reality of it. The left control the media and they will permanently destroy Sam Adams. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yet they just did. And as you describe, the media will make sure everyone knows.

If they weren't activist before, they are now.  Sucked into the vortex of MSM.

Edited by R_Bert

I wish we lived in a time where businesses weren't pressured to take a stand on an issue, then judged on which side of the issue they chose to stand on. I wish they could just sell stuff and people could be happy with that. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Of all the businesses out there I think the one that most of us hate the most is pretty good at not taking a stance, and that is Wal-mart. 

I see this no differently that I saw the Starbucks request (even though a lot of gun owners raked Starbucks over the coals for their decision).

Starbucks just wants to sell coffee; not be in the middle of the 2A/Open Carry issue.

Sam Adams just wants to sell bear; not be in the middle of the "homosexual rights" mess

If I owned Starbucks or Sam Adams I'd probably have made the same decisions.

[quote name="R_Bert" post="1125358" timestamp="1394979159"]Yet they just did. And as you describe, the media will make sure [i]everyone [/i]knows. If they weren't activist before, they are now. Sucked into the vortex of MSM.[/quote] Yeah, that seems to be the case. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They took the less damaging of two choices. The media is hailing them as heroes for taking a stand. If they hadnt made this "stand" and stuck with the status quo (sponsoring the same event that they always have) they would have been raked over the coals. I just can't bring myself to fault them for making a smart business decision. That, and I couldn't care less if Sam Adams became a champion of gay marriage or if they said all gays deserve the Old Testament treatment. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a company (corporation, privately owned business, whatever) wants to "take a stand" against the homosexual lifestyle; I'm okay with that; it's their business.  If they want to take a stand FOR the homosexual lifestyle I'm okay with that too for the same reason.

And THAT is why we're in this mess.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Lp

Sam Adams most definitely took a stand, by opting out of the parade because they won't openly advertise LGBT. This surprised me, as the safer option would have been to stay in the parade and just not comment on the issue either way. It's not like the parade is about any particular issue, pro or con, it's about St. Patrick and that's it. There won't be any PRO or ANTI LGBT displays in the parade so staying in would have been the safest choice. It's ok with me if Sam Adams owners care deeply enough about LGBT to take a stand supporting the issue, but it is a side I don't agree with so I'm unlikely to drink their beer again, and it was my preferred beer until now. In fact I just tried to order a Sam Adams last night and opted for water to protest the establishment I ate at for not carrying Sams. I happily support companies which are truly neutral or that don't actively support extreme positions, but once they feel it necessary to openly take a stand on certain issues then I only support them when they are aligned with my own beliefs. By taking a stand that is what they want you to do, every stand they take is deliberate and calculated from a marketing perspective with financial impact in mind, so they should not be surprised by the outcome of some folks backing away from them now. Edited by wileecoyote
[quote name="Mike.357" post="1125391" timestamp="1394983329"]kind of funny, speaking in general, that the percent of homosexuals is seen as insignificant for the attention they garner. But the percent of HCP holders in TN is seen as significant.[/quote] 4-6% of the threads. Actually, we're right along the national average. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Someone 'splain to me how St Patricks Day parade and banners for/against LGBT are connected? This is what drives me nuts about any group - pushing their particular issue into ANYTHING, whether its related or not. Its a clever strategy, but seriously .... Its a parade dedicated to a day that in modern secular times like this is an excuse to drink to excess.
  • Like 1
[quote name="Hershmeister" post="1125398" timestamp="1394985012"]but seriously .... Its a parade dedicated to a day that in modern secular times like this is an excuse to drink to excess.[/quote] This is the part that makes the ridiculous even more ridiculous. Our country is stupid sometimes. It makes me sit back and wonder "what the hell"? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someone 'splain to me how St Patricks Day parade and banners for/against LGBT are connected? This is what drives me nuts about any group - pushing their particular issue into ANYTHING, whether its related or not. Its a clever strategy, but seriously .... Its a parade dedicated to a day that in modern secular times like this is an excuse to drink to excess.

Soon enough, the Disney Electric Light Parade will have banners.

And THAT is why we're in this mess.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

Lp

What "mess" is that?

Are people or businesses free to express themselves or not express themselves ("take a stand" or "not take a stand") only if they hold the same opinion on an issue as "us"?

Do such concepts as liberty and freedom only apply to the those holding the "right opinion"?

That's kind of what it sounds like around here sometimes.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Like 1