[Push Reel Mowers] Which one to buy?

We still have a couple of the hand grass trimmers and an old push-type edger (another instrument of the Devil). All I can tell you is I hope if you're pushing a reel-type mower that #1 you have no gopher holes #2 you have no twigs in your lawn and #3 you don't wear dentures because if you encounter #1 or #2 you will break #3. Can't tell you how many times I knocked myself silly with handle hitting jaw while abruptly ceasing to turn blades at trotting speed. If you have Bermuda grass (what I liken to crab grass with butch wax) you'd best be a wizard at sharpening mower blades because the tough stuff dulls blades very quickly. You also need an oiler (old fashioned oil can) and lots of lube. It's impossible to put too much oil in a mower. You get the idea. There are easier and less dangerous ways to get a workout. Chopping wood is easier and 10x more fun.

Funny though, Mom was worried and vocal about me risking putting an eye out with a BB gun but never expressed concern I might bite my tongue off. Maybe that held more promise for the Mom of teenager than threat.

Edited by Vistar
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderators
So I was going to see my parents Saturday and there was a yard sale a few houses down. I spotted a push reel mower sitting there so I stopped by.

Was asking $25 and I asked if he would take $10. Yep. Probably would have taken $5.

Very satisfied with the purchase. We tried it out and like it so far. Will it replace my other mower? Probably not. But it will be nice to have and the wife thinks it is the most awesome yard sale purchase ever.
  • Moderators

She'll change her mind after using it once.  Then it'll be the most awesome yard decoration ever.

Nope. She was out in the lawn at 7:00 Saturday evening after working all day messing with it. She finished the whole front yard with it.

I got one used for about $20, it looked almost new, which should of been my first clue.  I used it maybe two or three times for some spots my rider just wont get to, but even though my weedeater kills my back every time I use it I will stick with it vs the reel mower.  It cuts, but it does have its issues; first, many times it knocks the grass down instead of cutting it and it won't cut right up against anything, wall, swing set etc.  It also doesn't keep spinning for long, which is needed to pull the grass into the blades.  I think you would be better off using a regular motorized push mower, which is also good exercise but does a better job.

I got one used for about $20, it looked almost new, which should of been my first clue.  I used it maybe two or three times for some spots my rider just wont get to, but even though my weedeater kills my back every time I use it I will stick with it vs the reel mower.  It cuts, but it does have its issues; first, many times it knocks the grass down instead of cutting it and it won't cut right up against anything, wall, swing set etc.  It also doesn't keep spinning for long, which is needed to pull the grass into the blades.  I think you would be better off using a regular motorized push mower, which is also good exercise but does a better job.

You pretty well covered it for me, Omega. A trimmer kills my back, but these terror machines will wear you out and still not get the job done.

They are only good for 2 things: To punish an unruly teenager and to cut postage stamp yards in the big city.