Lead for sale...

the destruction requirement is on most things they sell. Even the big sheet and block lead. A few months ago they had some lead encased in stainless steel. The looked pretty neat. That would have been a pain to demil.

If it's pure lead it will get really expensive trying to get the bhn high enough for most firearms applications. I had a line on a bunch of pure lead and did the math on the costs to mix in various other alloys to bring it up to acceptable hardness and no matter what I tried it didn't make sense. Maybe I missed an option? Perhaps.

[quote name="Luke E." post="1129978" timestamp="1395797949"] If it's pure lead it will get really expensive trying to get the bhn high enough for most firearms applications. I had a line on a bunch of pure lead and did the math on the costs to mix in various other alloys to bring it up to acceptable hardness and no matter what I tried it didn't make sense. Maybe I missed an option? Perhaps.[/quote] I'm just getting started casting, but I think if you powder coat the lead bullets they do just fine with no leading in the bore.
  • Like 3

I'm just getting started casting, but I think if you powder coat the lead bullets they do just fine with no leading in the bore.

That could very well be the case. I have done a lot of casting but have just started with the powder coating. I should have some extra time after I get through April to work at it more. I'd want to do some testing with pure lead and powder coat before I bought thousands of pounds of it.
I'm serious and would gladly purchase up to 3000 lbs. as noted. I'd even be willing to help with pickup costs, which would need to be factored into the price as gas to make the round trip won't be cheap, and we would likely have to rent or borrow a few trailers that can handle the weight.

I'm serious and would gladly purchase up to 3000 lbs. as noted. I'd even be willing to help with pickup costs, which would need to be factored into the price as gas to make the round trip won't be cheap, and we would likely have to rent or borrow a few trailers that can handle the weight.

Gas? A few trailers? That's 60,400 lbs... you need diesel and a couple of dump trucks.
[quote name="BrasilNuts" post="1130433" timestamp="1395884923"]Gas? A few trailers? That's 60,400 lbs... you need diesel and a couple of dump trucks.[/quote] No, dump trucks or similar construction vehicles would get terrible mileage and be cost prohibitive for the distance involved. You could do it with a few trucks towing max capacity trailers, my vehicle alone could tow 12,000 lbs. easily, done it many times. But the most cost effective transport would likely be freight carrier and the cost would need to be factored into the bid. I don't see enough serious interest on this site so not worth debating or planning further, but would have been cool.

No, dump trucks or similar construction vehicles would get terrible mileage and be cost prohibitive for the distance involved. You could do it with a few trucks towing max capacity trailers, my vehicle alone could tow 12,000 lbs. easily, done it many times. But the most cost effective transport would likely be freight carrier and the cost would need to be factored into the bid. I don't see enough serious interest on this site so not worth debating or planning further, but would have been cool.

You'd definitely have to have a buddy with a semi. 4-8 pickup trucks and trailers depending on what truck and trailer is used and that in and of itself is cost prohibitive I would think. Sure would be nice to have 60,000 pounds worth of lead stockpile though huh!

You'd definitely have to have a buddy with a semi. 4-8 pickup trucks and trailers depending on what truck and trailer is used and that in and of itself is cost prohibitive I would think. Sure would be nice to have 60,000 pounds worth of lead stockpile though huh!

I have a semi. Where is it located?

I don't think the mutilation requirement would be tough. You could probably just take a long section of rebar and drive it through the center of each pallet with a sledge hammer. They just want you to do something that shows you won't be using the product in the same manner it was originally designed for. The real issue is that nobody here is likely to cough up the cash to place a bid that high, especially not with the short time left. Would be nice though, I could easily sell 6,000 lbs of it between my own order and a few friends. Edited by wileecoyote

I don't think the mutilation requirement would be tough. You could probably just take a long section of rebar and drive it through the center of each pallet with a sledge hammer. They just want you to do something that shows you won't be using the product in the same manner it was originally designed for. The real issue is that nobody here is likely to cough up the cash to place a bid that high, especially not with the short time left. Would be nice though, I could easily sell 6,000 lbs of it between my own order and a few friends.

I agree. If it wasn't such a gigantic amount, we could probably make it happen. In the future, if we come across a good buy, I would entertain the idea of picking it up, with help on fuel of course.

Edited by GoneBallistic