Mini-14, c'mon down!

Sorry, had a Bob Barker moment as I was watching Happy Gilmore recently... Moving on, I just acquired a Mini-14 sitting in a Hogue overmold stock and the ol gal has some cosmetic issues, it was missing the front sight and someone had boogered up the front threads till they were almost smoothed over in some spots. Apparently the mook who had it before I guess put something on there such as one of those one piece front sight/flash-hider deals, ugh... Well my buddy, whom is a machinist and just happens to have a 1/2x28 rethread die, was able to get er back normal. I'm currently in the process of tracking down a factory front sight and have found an after market rear sight to replace the garbage factory rear by Tech-Sight(not sure on their quality, any of you dealt with em?). I would LOVE to find a factory GB stock for it but ouch, at that price I can throw it into a Sage Int'l stock. I figure for being in it at $400, meh, I'm okay with tracking down some parts and possibly a refinish.

Since you're re-threading the barrel anyway, I'd consider cutting a tad off and recrowning, and then threading.  The muzzle crowns on some of those older Minis are just terrible, and have a lot to do with the crappy accuracy rep they have. 

Isnt the mini 14 supposed to be a smaller version of the m14 in .223? I always thought that was the case, but correct me if I am wrong.

Pretty much hence the name. It uses that same rotating bolt and op rod system that the M1 Garand/ M14(M1A) use and I think that the M1 Carbine also uses it BUT the Mini even has the same safety as a M14-M1A. It really is like a miniature M14.

Since you're re-threading the barrel anyway, I'd consider cutting a tad off and recrowning, and then threading.  The muzzle crowns on some of those older Minis are just terrible, and have a lot to do with the crappy accuracy rep they have. 

I would but the barrel is already rethreaded, if accuracy is an issue when I take it out I may just consider that or even possibly a new barrel altogether.

I would but the barrel is already rethreaded, if accuracy is an issue when I take it out I may just consider that or even possibly a new barrel altogether.

Since you mention crummy rear sight, this an older model with pencil barrel? (pre 580 series)

- OS

Since you mention crummy rear sight, this an older model with pencil barrel? (pre 580 series)

- OS

I'm not at all familiar with Mini's so enlighten me as to what you mean pre 580? Is that pre 2005? If so, yes, mine was produced in Feb of 1985. Also, mine is not a Ranch Rifle and is a full on Mini, or at least according to the nice lady at Ruger it is and from what info I've found so far leads to that.

Edited by whitewolf001

I'm not at all familiar with Mini's so enlighten me as to what you mean pre 580? Is that pre 2005? If so, yes, mine was produced in Feb of 1985. Also, mine is not a Ranch Rifle and is a full on Mini, or at least according to the nice lady at Ruger it is and from what info I've found so far leads to that.

580 is serial number prefix, during which they changed barrel design, sights, and whatnot, also all have integral sight bases,  and yeah, it began in 2005.

What most agree is a significantly improved barrel :

m4-Sbarrel.jpg

vs old style pencil barrel:

m4-Bbarrel.jpg

- OS

How inaccurate is the old school barrel?

Naysayers will swear you can't hit the broad side of a barn with either style. :)

The old style is certainly combat accurate, but there's no way you're gonna match precision accuracy with just a decent AR (or often a dirt cheap AR)  with either one without a lot a tweaking, and usually not even then.

Note that I own two 581 series Minis myself, I really really like them, but I acknowledge that one significant limitation.

Dunno if you can find the right threads here, but have been any number of detailed discussions regarding various accuracy improving techniques if you really want to chase that with a Mini.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest semiautots

A few years ago I met a guy that had a Mini-14 for sale.  He showed up with this:

6ec9bbe5-abea-49b6-ba6a-48e73244ea53_zps

Ended up buying it, but it was a long story.

Naysayers will swear you can't hit the broad side of a barn with either style. :)

The old style is certainly combat accurate, but there's no way you're gonna match precision accuracy with just a decent AR (or often a dirt cheap AR)  with either one without a lot a tweaking, and usually not even then.

Note that I own two 581 series Minis myself, I really really like them, but I acknowledge that one significant limitation.

Dunno if you can find the right threads here, but have been any number of detailed discussions regarding various accuracy improving techniques if you really want to chase that with a Mini.

- OS

Really all I'm looking for is a combat weapon, not really to be stupid accurate. If I can land hits on a man sized target within 2-3 inches that's good enough for me, haha.

A few years ago I met a guy that had a Mini-14 for sale.  He showed up with this:

6ec9bbe5-abea-49b6-ba6a-48e73244ea53_zps

Ended up buying it, but it was a long story.

DUDE!!! Is that an AC556?!?!

Edited by whitewolf001

I've always heard terrible things about their accuracy, but it can't be that bad...is it?

No, not terrible. Just not real good, compared to average AR or other .223 rifles.

Put it in context, even with improved barrel you won't likely be doing 1.5" groups at 50 yards or 3" at 100 steadied down with scope, unless it's just luck, maybe worse, depending.  I can pretty consistently hit somewhere on an 8" pie plate at 200.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
I'd like to have a mini, I don't think I'd bother messing with it too much though. Since accuracy isn't your top concern I'd say it might be fun for nostalgia sake if nothing else. It would have been better with a paratrooper stock though, then you can pretend to be in the A-Team.

Worth it.

Pretty much hence the name. It uses that same rotating bolt and op rod system that the M1 Garand/ M14(M1A) use and I think that the M1 Carbine also uses it BUT the Mini even has the same safety as a M14-M1A. It really is like a miniature M14.

The Op Rod is not really the same as the Garand. The Garand works more like a gas piston. Where the end of the op rod slides in cylinder.

The Mini-14 just uses gas to press the slide/bolt back. The Mini-14 works more like and AR than a Garand as far as the gas system goes.

I'm by no means calling you out for being "wrong". Ruger just dropped a few parts and took a few short cuts in this area.

If you ever take the stock of the Ruger and pull the bolt handle you'll see that there is a great big "void" where where is just dumps gas

once the slide/bolt rod slides back maybe 1/4".

[quote name="MacGyver" post="1136484" timestamp="1397094277"]I'll preface this by saying that I've always been fond of the Minis in all of their variants. But, if I already had $400 in one, I don't think I'd be itching to spend a whole lot more money on it.[/quote]

I'd like to have a mini, I don't think I'd bother messing with it too much though. Since accuracy isn't your top concern I'd say it might be fun for nostalgia sake if nothing else. It would have been better with a paratrooper stock though, then you can pretend to be in the A-Team. Worth it.
Good points made there...Pretty much at this point, I think its going to be my go gun as my AR project keeps getting pushed to the back burner. I'm gonna get it operational with the sights, finish it in a camo pattern, and throw my aim point onto it, also get some mags. I need to start getting all my projects done before I take on another including what's supposed to be my ARAK21 project, lol. -_- Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

Anyone know if they make a NON promag thirty rounder? Sent from the future using a flux capacitor.

Sure, Ruger factory mags come in 5, 20, 30. Ain't cheap though. Prefer the 20's myself, both in Mini and AR really, just seem to balance better, less obtrusive, all that. Always have some 30's though, just for that next firefight and all. :)

Haven't seen any good sales on them in a while, CDNN generally has them,. has all three in stock now matter of fact:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?brand=2118&caliber=39

And yeah, there ain't nuthin but the factory ones you can totally rely on.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

Sure, Ruger factory mags come in 5, 20, 30. Ain't cheap though. Prefer the 20's myself, both in Mini and AR really, just seem to balance better, less obtrusive, all that. Always have some 30's though, just for that next firefight and all. :)

Haven't seen any good sales on them in a while, CDNN generally has them,. has all three in stock now matter of fact:

http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines.html?brand=2118&caliber=39

And yeah, there ain't nuthin but the factory ones you can totally rely on.

- OS

Okay, I'm confused.  I have some interest in maybe finding a Mini at some point so I clicked on the link just to see the mag prices.  On that page, they list 20 and 30 round 'factory' magazines and then they list, at a much cheaper price, 20 and 30 round magazines designated as 'O.E.'  I thought that 'O.E.' meant 'original equipment' and could be basically used interchangeably with 'factory'.  So does 'O.E.' mean something different, here?

Edited by JAB

Okay, I'm confused.  I have some interest in maybe finding a Mini at some point so I clicked on the link just to see the mag prices.  On that page, they list 20 and 30 round 'factory' magazines and then they list, at a much cheaper price, 20 and 30 round magazines designated as 'O.E.'  I thought that 'O.E.' meant 'original equipment' and could be basically used interchangeably with 'factory'.  So does 'O.E.' mean something different, here?

Says the manufacturer is "Original Equipment".  That's about as clear as mud.  I hope there's not really a brand of mag going by that name, but at that price it can't be Ruger.

Edited by Garufa

Says the manufacturer is "Original Equipment".  That's about as clear as mud.  I hope there's not really a brand of mag going by that name, but at that price it can't be Ruger.

Aw, man, I also hope that some company isn't doing something sneaky like that.  It would be akin to a band calling themselves 'Free Beer' so that their flyers could read, "Come out to ___ this Friday night for Free Beer!  (Actually, I think there was such a band on the local scene when I was going to U.T.)

Edited by JAB