Worn out AR-15 bolt carrier or ?

[quote name="Luke E." post="1141422" timestamp="1398139854"]I dropped a new cam pin in it and it didn't seem to make any difference. I've kept the carbon cleaned out of the carrier bore where the bolt slides in and before I went out and fooled with it last I soaked it and took the scraping tool to it and it is pretty well spotless. I agree that it shouldn't be worn out after so few a numbers of rounds and part of me keeps thinking that i'll find something silly that is the cause. I'm not making it home tonight so it'll be at least tomorrow night before i'm back around it again. As far as one looking like it's been dragged behind a truck this one will disappoint you because it really doesn't look that bad.[/quote] Yeah, that's why I can't figure why you're having this issue. Wish I could help. Could probably figure it out if I had it in front of me. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Okay guys, I just stripped the firing pin, cam pin and bolt out of the carrier and installed only the stripped carrier with gas key installed. The carrier drags really heavily on its way back and then starts sticking after the 1st 1/4" of the carrier starts over the mag follower. It's is sticking long before the gas key is comes into contact with the tube.
So that completely rules out anything to do with the bolt, bolt fitment in carrier and gas key.
And the carrier is making contact with the mag body (rear of feed lips) not the follower. Edited by Luke E.
[quote name="Luke E." post="1141774" timestamp="1398222040"]Okay guys, I just stripped the firing pin, cam pin and bolt out of the carrier and installed only the stripped carrier with gas key installed. The carrier drags really heavily on its way back and then starts sticking after the 1st 1/4" of the carrier starts over the mag follower. It's is sticking long before the gas key is comes into contact with the tube. So that completely rules out anything to do with the bolt, bolt fitment in carrier and gas key. And the carrier is making contact with the mag body (rear of feed lips) not the follower.[/quote] Well this is a new one. Couldn't be an explanation other than parts being warped; either the upper or the bolt carrier. I've never heard of a bolt carrier getting warped by normal use though. Sure you didn't use it as a pry bar? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well this is a new one. Couldn't be an explanation other than parts being warped; either the upper or the bolt carrier. I've never heard of a bolt carrier getting warped by normal use though. Sure you didn't use it as a pry bar? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL I have been known to sleep walk from time to time but my wife has never mention finding me using the carrier as a pry bar, chisel  or any other implement of destruction. Also I know that the upper isn't the issue since all the other carriers that I have tried in it have functioned just fine. I'm like you and most of the rest on here thinking that there is no way that I've worn out or warped a carrier with only 7,500 rounds or so through it in a semi auto rifle. Weird thing is that it had been working fine and then all the sudden started acting up. Best I can remember I had run 150-200 rounds through it in the 45 minutes-1hr leading up to the start of the failures so it's not like the rifle was blistering hot or anything. 

Well, I'm beginning to think the thing really actually may be abnormally worn somehow. Maybe a glitch with the casting process or something.

I think the only thing you haven't actually done is remove the gas key, if you want to be absolutely empirical about it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, I'm beginning to think the thing really actually may be abnormally worn somehow. Maybe a glitch with the casting process or something.

I think the only thing you haven't actually done is remove the gas key, if you want to be absolutely empirical about it.

- OS

Well I could certainly remove it but since it was just hovering in space when the issue starts I don't see what it could change. I suppose it'd be worth doing before tossing it.

What brand is this BCG? Sorry if I missed that while reading through.
I wonder if the manufacturer would inspect it for you? Tell them what is happening, that you wonder if the carrier is out of tolerance but you can't tell how/where.

I honestly don't remember. It's just a standard mil-spec unit. It's not worth going through to much trouble since a whole new group isn't that costly.
May have to put the crown jewel on eBay! I'm still not clear on what is causing the issue. I feel very certain now that it is the carrier but what exactly is wrong with the carrier I do not know and I'll prolly hold on to it until I figure that out.
I bet someone would be willing to analyze/inspect it for you. Not worth paying for but maybe some place would do it for free (manufacturer likely would but since unsure on who that is...)

I wouldn't just trash it. Edited by jonathon1289

I bet someone would be willing to analyze/inspect it for you. Not worth paying for but maybe some place would do it for free (manufacturer likely would but since unsure on who that is...)

I wouldn't just trash it.

That's what I'm saying... kinda. I'm NOT going to throw it away. First off I'm to much of a pack rat for that and second is that I'll keep trying stuff with it until I figure out what the deal is. I likely won't be fooling with sending it off anywhere though.

Paint the carrier white, put the BCG all back and put it back into the rifle.
Cycle it a few times, see where it is worn the paint off.

I kinda do that with some grease. It was pretty much wiping all traces of grease from the bottom of the carrier where the mag is contacting it. Painting the whole thing white might be a good idea because it would show any weirdness on the top or sides as well like if it was slightly twisted or bowed. Just might try that next. Thanks

while you were asleep the mrs accidently knocked the whole bcg off your bench where it rolled out the front door and landed under the wheel of a garbage truck that was over loaded and creeping up to take your trash out,. after the truck moved, she cleaned it up and brought it back in,spray painted it black and left it right where u put it.

so now, u have no other choice to blame her, throw the old one out and justify buying a JP or titanium setup.make her think it was the most horrific catastrophic event in your life and the only recourse is a new top shelf bcg. threaten her w counseling, therapy, and a long non working life of being on lithium until a new bcg arrives.....

Hope this helps...;)

while you were asleep the mrs accidently knocked the whole bcg off your bench where it rolled out the front door and landed under the wheel of a garbage truck that was over loaded and creeping up to take your trash out,. after the truck moved, she cleaned it up and brought it back in,spray painted it black and left it right where u put it.
so now, u have no other choice to blame her, throw the old one out and justify buying a JP or titanium setup.make her think it was the most horrific catastrophic event in your life and the only recourse is a new top shelf bcg. threaten her w counseling, therapy, and a long non working life of being on lithium until a new bcg arrives.....
Hope this helps...;)

I wish there was a "best of TGO" button available because I would click it on your post DB.
Hahahaha thought you'd like that. Would really like to see this mystery solved for sure. Few years ago one of the kids friends knocked over a rc heli I had, they put it back on the bench unbeknownst to me. Took the machine out to the field. It had a bad vibration, the main shaft was bent. Only one way that coulda happened. After a brief interrogation the kids fessed up I replaced the shaft, smooth as glass...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.