Question about CCP

Guest Mommyto3

Guest Mommyto3
I just purchased my first handgun. It's a S & W M&P Shield 9mm. I've only ever fired rifles and shotguns. So I was wondering if I will have a hard time passing the test to receive my CCP? Also I've heard from a few people that it's easier to use a .22 on the test. Do you agree? I'm new to all this and just trying to make sure I have a few more opinions. THX so much for your help!!!
Guest Ceolas

Call a friend and get in some range time...

Or just hit the range and get familiar with the new handgun.

Concealed shooting test is really hard to fail, so I wouldn't worry about it. You would basically have to shoot the instructor to not pass.

In Tennessee, it's called a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). With it, you can carry openly or concealed. 

I had very little handgun practice before obtaining my HCP, and I had no trouble passing, Both the written and range tests were extremely easy. Not sure how anyone manages to fail.

I am also in Springfield. I have a free range pass for Guns & Leather. If you'd like, you can have the free range pass to use for some practice before taking the course. if you do not have anyone who's familiar with firearms to go with you, I'll be more than happy to go with you.

As far as the .22 goes, if that's what you are comfortable with shooting, feel free to use it. Much less recoil than anything else. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the 9mm, though.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
  • Like 1
Guest Mommyto3
That's where I purchased my gun. I also have a free range pass. I might have to take you up on the offer to go give me a few pointers. THX

That's where I purchased my gun. I also have a free range pass. I might have to take you up on the offer to go give me a few pointers. THX

You're still welcome to this free pass. A couple range trips and you'll feel much more confident. Just shoot me a message if/when you decide to take me up on the offer.

Guest Mommyto3

In Tennessee, it's called a HCP (Handgun Carry Permit). With it, you can carry openly or concealed.

I had very little handgun practice before obtaining my HCP, and I had no trouble passing, Both the written and range tests were extremely easy. Not sure how anyone manages to fail.

I am also in Springfield. I have a free range pass for Guns & Leather. If you'd like, you can have the free range pass to use for some practice before taking the course. if you do not have anyone who's familiar with firearms to go with you, I'll be more than happy to go with you.

As far as the .22 goes, if that's what you are comfortable with shooting, feel free to use it. Much less recoil than anything else. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the 9mm, though.

Guest Mommyto3
THX so much for all your help and advice!!! I really do appreciate it!!! I guess I'll just stick with the M&P 9mm for the test.
The M&P9 is a great pistol. I've got a fancy shmancy VTAC model that I love. I won't say they're more accurate than other guns with similar build styles, but I shoot them better. Great choice for your weapon.
  • Like 1

Most HCP instructors will let you use any handgun you're comfortable with, but my advice would be to get some practice & use the handgun that you plan to carry. That's what I did & it made me feel more confident about being able to safely carry it. (One guy in my class used a .22 for his test because he didn't think he could hit the target with the .45 he was planning to carry for SD because it was too powerful. WTF?!) Every range class is a little different, but the shooting tests are usually pretty simple. My shooting test started with 10 rounds each at 5 yards, 7 yards, 9 yards, & then 19 rnds at 15 yards.

The M&P Shield is one of the smoothest handling guns that I have ever shot. If you can't "suffer" through 50 rounds with it and get a passing score I don't know that a 22lr would help you that much. The Shields a very soft shooters.
Just take your time. A small gun like that, even 9mm, will buck a bit... but you're better off getting accustomed to how the gun you will carry handles. The tests are super easy especially if you've fired a fun before at all, so don't worry, the shooting part is not a race. Just look for the front sight each time you pull the trigger. My guess is that you'll do better than most in the class with you... my late wife took her test with a full bore .45 1911 and out shot everybody (including the person next to her with the .22). Relax behind the trigger, focus on the target, see your front sight and squeeze without closing your eyes, like you learned with the rifles and shotguns. You got this.

I would suggest you practice with and take the test with your carry gun. Test is easy to pass if you have practiced with the firearm you will use.

Know how to load/unload and safe the pistol, I have a free pass also if you need it.

Guest Mommyto3
I'm going to the range either tomorrow or Sat and then at least one more time before the test. The rounds and distances are 9ft - 20 rounds, 15ft - 20 rounds & 21ft - 10 rounds. I've decided to stick with the M&P Sheild 9mm during target practice and the test its self! That's what I bought it for :))!!! Does anyone have a recommendation on self defence ammonation? I have a couple hundred rounds for target practice. I'm such a perfectionist and hold myself to a high standard!!! One of my worst quailitys because I'm scared of failure!!! I sincerely appreciate all of your advice and kind words!!! I also look forward to learning more from all of you!!! Thanks so very much!!!

Your new gun will probably need a few rounds fired through it to break in  and become comfortable with.  Load a magazine to capacity over night before using it the first time.  Read the instruction manual for the pistol.  Don't use the more expensive self defennse ammunition until you've become familar with your gun.  A few boxes of target ammunition will be sufficent for practice and qualification in class.  You shouldn't have any problem with the HCP class.

The debate of which self defense round to choose is as old as the 9mm vs .45 debate. There are several to choose from, and most will offer the stopping power you're looking for.

In no certain order, here are some of the more popular options:

Hornady Critical Defense

Winchester Ranger

Speer Gold Dot

Remington Golden Saber

Federal HST
Federal Hydra-Shok

Corbon DPX - My choice

There are more, but that's some of the more popular that I could come up with in a hurry.

After you've made your choice, you'll want to buy a box or two (yes, it will be a bit expensive) and make sure they function properly in your firearm. You want a round that will feed and eject properly. Most of them should be just fine, but it's not unheard of for a firearm to be a little picky where ammo is concerned. I can't say I've heard/read too many issues with the Shield.

My daughter's 9 mm Shield feeds the Federal HST's without problems. YMMV. If I recall correctly the Federal HST is the updated version of their Hydra-Shok round and the letters stand for Hydra-Shok Two. Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk