Is this a fair price for 22LR and 9mm?

Palmetto State Armory is running a 10% off sale on everything, and they have some 22LR ammo in stock which they have been bundling with other products to promote cross sales. I just purchased a package they had on sale for $89.99 which included one brick (500 rounds) of 22LR CCI standard velocity and two boxes (25 rounds each) of 9mm Hornady Critical Defense FTX 115 gr hollow points. I purchased 3 of these packages altogether (the most their site would allow at the time), with shipping direct to my house. After applying the 10% off coupon code and paying the shipping, the individual ammo costs worked out as follows:

CCI 22 LR: $43.66 per brick, shipped
Hornady 9mm defense: $21.83 per box. shipped
9mmftxand22.jpg
I did a few quick searches but didn't find this ammo in stock anywhere else, so it is hard to compare prices, and of course most local stores have none of this stuff. So I am trying to gauge if this was a good deal, average, or if I overpaid. My personal policy has been to never spend more then $40 per brick of 22LR so that was at the high end of my price range but it seemed ok since this included shipping and I am unlikely to find any in stock cheaper locally, since I don't have time to camp all the LGS or setup a tent in Walmart. And from what I can remember about the Hornady stuff it was top notch and was typically $1 per round plus tax back in the day when LGS actually had any.

So if any of you have actually found and purchased this stuff in the past few months... was this a fair price?

Edited by wileecoyote

the 22 is high.  It should be at most 30 / 500.   However cci is hard to come by, so if you want that brand and that type....

the SD 9mm is fine,  its typical buck-a-round 20/box stuff which has been about that price for a long time.

The .22 is a bit overpriced. That is standard velocity stuff and may have issues in semi-autos. Not bad given the environment we are in, but on the high side for what it is. If it were hi-velocity mini-mags then it would be ok, but not for that.

[quote name="Jonnin" post="1146771" timestamp="1399467442"] SD 9mm is fine, its typical buck-a-round 20/box stuff which has been about that price for a long time.[/quote] Yeah, I figured most of the good defense rounds sell for $1/round, and these are 25 round boxes so actually a better deal for less than $22 shipped.
[quote name="Smith" post="1146801" timestamp="1399473197"]The .22 is a bit overpriced. That is standard velocity stuff and may have issues in semi-autos. Not bad given the environment we are in, but on the high side for what it is. If it were hi-velocity mini-mags then it would be ok, but not for that.[/quote]whenever I would see standard velocity stuff or subsonic rounds they were usually more expensive, such as the Remington Target green box stuff that Walmart used to sell before the craze, which I think was typically around $6-$8 per 100. I never used CCI standard velocity stuff though, so not sure how it compares.
As everyone else says, the LR is a fuzz high, but I bought some too if that tell you anything. Be sure and do some research on the critical defense if you plan on using it in your carry weapon

The last CCI standard velocity I bought was in February of last year for $34.95/brick plus shipping.  That was when the .22 famine was just kicking in (well under way, actually) and everything was going to hell.

Edited by Garufa

I would have gotten in on that as well, but every time I tried to add to the shopping cart, I got kicked out.

So I'd fall into the category of not bad pricing. Not what we all want, but better than none at all.

I won't hold it against PSA. They've had ample opportunity to participate in the pricing madness and from what I've seen have held their prices. If I needed more 22. I'd be on it.

I'm just going to look the other way.  PSA has crazy good prices on a lot of stuff but they've been riding the .22 gravy train for well over a year now.  When they get it in it's minimum $50/brick and now they're bundling the CCI standard in with a bunch of other things as "specials".  They're still charging $50/brick.

• Like 1
[quote name="Garufa" post="1146908" timestamp="1399501401"]I'm just going to look the other way. PSA has crazy good prices on a lot of stuff but they've been riding the .22 gravy train for well over a year now. When they get it in it's minimum $50/brick and now they're bundling the CCI standard in with a bunch of other things as "specials". They're still charging $50/brick.[/quote] Well I haven't watched their prices on 22lr, in fact I didn't even realize they sold it until recently, but I can say for sure that my order outlined above was much less than $50 per brick, it was just $43 per brick and that included shipping, so if you allow $8 for shipping it was really sold for only $35 per brick which I would guess is pretty rare on the current market, especially online vendors.

I'm just going to look the other way.  PSA has crazy good prices on a lot of stuff but they've been riding the .22 gravy train for well over a year now.  When they get it in it's minimum $50/brick and now they're bundling the CCI standard in with a bunch of other things as "specials".  They're still charging $50/brick.

Like Wileycoyote, I haven't been watching too close on 22. I do remember when they lumped the Troy Landry ammo together with the weeble wobble target. As I recall the price was high, but I figured that by throwing in the target they were acknowledging that and trying to soothe the blow.

Anywho, I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the 22. thing.

Wish I had a few million dollars to open a .22 ammo factory. Never thought I'd see the day that the cheapest ammo in the world would become the most expensive (for what it is). Anything over $25 a brick is just wrong. As of lately, I started doing all my "plinking" with my Marlin 1894 and .38 lead semi-wadcutters powder puff reloads.

Cheaper than the new priced .22s. How sad is that? :stunned:

Very, actually. But we all been so accustomed to 2 to 3 cents a round for 22, but never griped about the 35 to 50 a round for everything else we shoot. So I guess, whether we like it or not...adjustments are having to be made in our thinking and habits.