Truck broken into at Center Hill lake

Guest Phizzle99GST

Guest Phizzle99GST

was out fishing with a couple buddies... We had all the valuables on the kayaks with us except an old Garmin GPS which was out of sight. We put in Center Hill at the end of Indian Creek Rd near Smithville. There were 5 teens/early 20s maybe kids there swimming at the time - not sure if it was them that did it or not. Got in the water about 3:30PM and out by 7:15-7:20PM. My buddy went to get the truck and seen the driver side window smashed, rock on the floorboards and when I got in it -  sure enough the GPS was gone along with a cheap pocket knife. Got a police report done. We'll see how much I have to pay for a new window or deductible now. Sucks that all our addresses were in the GPS.

Anyone have any experience fishing/parking there? I know its close to Toad Rd.- Ive been down that road once and it seemed trashy as hell, which made me hesitant to try and put in at the end of Indian Creek Rd. Crime scene tape around a trailer and folks that drive like idiots and give you the finger for passing through.

Edited by Phizzle99GST

That is why I quit fishing Center Hill Lake unless I can launch at Hurricane Marina. Those folks there are great and they watch your vehicles for you. The only other place I might launch is Sligo boat ramp up in the river near the marina. Sorry you got hit buddy and sorry they took your GPS with the addresses for sure......Hope you get a chance to ............. :bat: :bat:

• Like 1

I had a similar incident on Tellico lake last year.  I am tempted to get me one of those hunting game cameras for inside my truck, only if I can hide it well enough.  I think public boat docks are bad places for many reasons. 

. Sucks that all our addresses were in the GPS.

Tip for your next GPS, don't put your address in it, but rather program the home address to a near by place like the police station and or hospital.  I forget which one is on my wife's but I told her it will get her close and she better now how to get home from there.

• Like 3
Guest Lowbuster

Tip for your next GPS, don't put your address in it, but rather program the home address to a near by place like the police station and or hospital.  I forget which one is on my wife's but I told her it will get her close and she better now how to get home from there.

Great idea, will change mine today.

Or a better idea is to use the code lock built into almost all GPS's. That way all they really get is a light brick of plastic and circuit board. 

• Like 2

I put in at Indian Creek one time. I did not like how isolated it was and that only one other boat had put in there. I didn't feel good about it and never went back. Now I drive a little further and don't worry about it. I could see this very thing happening there.

Guest Phizzle99GST

Yea, it was stupid of me to even leave it in the truck. We never use it. Probably wont get another one. If they show at my home i'll be waiting. If they sell hopefully their wise enough to delete the addresses and if they dont hopefully the buyer is not the same type of person as the thief.

Another buddy of mine said he and his dad used to go fishing in that spot years ago and catch a lot of bass. So I figured I'd give it a try. I love remote areas when it comes to fishing. But I'm quickly learning that's not the way to go around here. Not to mention firearms are prohibited in that area.

Has anyone been to floating mill or ragland bottom rec areas? Ive been to floating mill twice and ragland once. The 2nd time I went to floating mill it was just with the wife and kids for a picnic during the week and 2 males (maybe in their 20s) in an old pickup drove around the parking lot and our van was the only vehicle there. They appeared to be looking for an opportunity but noticed us. Still I didn't know if they were armed or not. We would have been defenseless.

Guest Phizzle99GST

I thought about putting a 'vehicle under federal surveillance' warning document or sticker on it.... but chances are the thieves can't read lol

I knew there was a reason I kept the orginal GPS box, I was able to locate the serial number on it and notify the DeKalb Count sherriff dep. Not expecting to get it back but it gives them something to go on if they come across it somehow.

It's a little hard to get used to doing but it's always best to leave your doors unlocked, unless you have a car alarm AND are within earshot of it.

Thieves will get into you car whether the doors are locked or not. At least leaving them unlocked will save the cost and clean-up time of broken windows.

Here's to hoping they will pawn that GPS and get caught!!

• Like 2