Question for law enforcement

I am wondering at what point can law enforcement divulge the charges which someone is being held on. They will tell me the bond amount, but say they can't tell me the charges. It seems like this information is always plastered all over the news very quickly, so I'm not sure they can't tell me.
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The investigation may be ongoing so they may not want to tell those not directly involved. I have seen people held for several days without charges while it is determined who is involved and who was just a witness.

With that being said I have never been told a bond amount without finding out the charges at the same time.
If bond has been set,they've been charged. It could be domestic violence.
Go to the jail and or find the magistrate for a straight answer. If it's a minor,u may not get an answer either unless you're the parent or abogado (lawyer)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling. Edited by Dustbuster
She is an adult. From what I understand, there are at least two felony charges related to TennCare fraud. The bond has been set at $50,000. Someone said I could go to the jail, and they'd tell me in person. Hardeman County is a long drive, so I'll have to find out through the grapevine.
They can tell you charges legally but departments can have their own rules regarding information release. I have heard of jails in the past only confirming a person is in the facility and what the bond is. I think it basically stemmed from keeping reporters from getting or making up dumb quotes from jailers.

Also TDR some counties have websites where you can search inmate info/booking info that shows charges and bonds. I know Robertson County does if that is the county you are needing info from. Edited by Pain103

Find a bondsman in the area and ask them, they may know.  They seem to have access to all kinds of inside info.  Or call the court clerk tomorrow.  If it's indeed Tenn care fraud related then the amount allegedly taken will be important as that will determine the level of felony.  Pretty much all econ crimes in Tennessee are graded by the amounts in the theft of property laws.  A 50k bond for a white collar crime is pretty high, so it sounds like a substantial amount at issue, or the accused has a record, or it might just be that they like to set high bonds there.

[quote name="Pain103" post="1147275" timestamp="1399606554"]They can tell you charges legally but departments can have their own rules regarding information release. I have heard of jails in the past only confirming a person is in the facility and what the bond is. I think it basically stemmed from keeping reporters from getting or making up dumb quotes from jailers. Also TDR some counties have websites where you can search inmate info/booking info that shows charges and bonds. I know Robertson County does if that is the county you are needing info from.[/quote] She's in Hardeman County. I did look at their website, and they do have an online booking log. There seems to be a delay of a couple days or so.

Paul, I've got nothing to offer, but I'm thinking about you.  You've had a bunch on your plate for a while.

I do greatly appreciate the thoughts. Thankfully this situation doesn't compare to some of the things I've had to deal with in the recent past. While it hurts to see my daughter suffer because of the poor choices her mother has made, I'm not losing much sleep over this. That side of the family isn't always truthful with her, so I was trying to help her find the answers she is looking for. She'll just have to be a little more patient than she'd like to be.

You would think if bond has been set then she has gone before a judge.  If she could not afford a lawyer at that point the court would appoint her a public defender to handle her case and you should be able to find out from the attorney what the actual charges are?.................... :shrug:

I was able to find out charges, court dates, and other info when my brother got arrested, by looking on the county clerks website. Granted he was arrested in Davidson county. I think I had to have his name and D.O.B. and maybe his social.

Hope this helps!

Yeah, most places will allow you to pay the bond without even getting dressed out. There are set amounts for bonds for the common crimes so the booking clerk may set the bond amount based on the charges. If you do not, or cannot, make bond then you go see a commissioner or judge for a preliminary hearing. The hearing happens very quickly and that is where the suspect pleads guilty or innocent and the court date, if needed, is set. It is also during this time that an attorney is assigned if the person cannot afford one. As far as the attorney is isn't whether you want a public defender but whether you can afford an attorney. Many times I have seen people get refused a public defender, even though they wanted one, because their income was too much. And even if you are assigned a public defender you still have to pay for it eventually, they are rarely free.