LG101 Pictures!!!

I originally wanted in on this knife but was too late. Now I'm kind of glad, as I don't really care for the large full color logo. Might be OK if the logo portion were much smaller, or laser etched / engraved instead of printed / painted, but it just doesn't look very "business like" or "professional gear" to me, not sure why. I had assumed it was going to be black stamping, engraving, or etching for a more subdued look, which I prefer on all of my "tactical" gear. But to each his own, and I'm certain they are still high quality knives at a great price. Now I'm even more excited about the Godfather knife, although I will want to see a photo or mockup before throwing down the cash. Thanks for coordinating all this!

I originally wanted in on this knife but was too late. Now I'm kind of glad, as I don't really care for the large full color logo.

Might be OK if the logo portion were much smaller, or laser etched / engraved instead of printed / painted, but it just doesn't look very "business like" or "professional gear" to me, not sure why. I had assumed it was going to be black stamping, engraving, or etching for a more subdued look, which I prefer on all of my "tactical" gear.

But to each his own, and I'm certain they are still high quality knives at a great price. Now I'm even more excited about the Godfather knife, although I will want to see a photo or mockup before throwing down the cash.

Thanks for coordinating all this!

The logo is not printed or painted on, it is laser anodized. These are commemorative knives celebrating the day automatics are finally allowed to be carried in Tennessee, nowhere were they advertised as Tactical as you put it, I explained these knives as best as I could throughout the build, Pro Tech did the Logo exactly as they were supposed to, I am sorry that you or anyone else does not like it,

Hopefully there will be several more forum knives one thing I can tell you for certain is none of them will be the same they will all be different, some will love them some will not it is just the way these things go
  • Like 1

The logo is not printed or painted on, it is laser anodized. These are commemorative knives celebrating the day automatics are finally allowed to be carried in Tennessee, nowhere were they advertised as Tactical as you put it, I explained these knives as best as I could throughout the build, Pro Tech did the Logo exactly as they were supposed to, I am sorry that you or anyone else does not like it,

Hopefully there will be several more forum knives one thing I can tell you for certain is none of them will be the same they will all be different, some will love them some will not it is just the way these things go

Good to hear about the color laser anodizing! That will indeed be much more durable than paint or color-fill. For those that don't know, the surface of an anodized part contains many small pores which are injected with colored dye and then boiled to seal the pores, locking in the color. Pretty cool.

I certainly did not mean to imply that anyone asserted this knife would be of any certain color or style. I am not a knife collector and am not familiar with the ProTech products, and there were numerous knife threads with hundreds of posts (some of which I missed), so please excuse my ignorance. I only assumed the LG101 was a "tactical knife" because the ProTech site mentions "From Duty on the Front Lines... to the Front Row of Your Collection", and because the LG101 page on their site said it was designed by Les George, a military guy with 10 years of tactical expertise.

If I had been able to get one (or more) of the LG101s, I would have put them in my collection alongside my ARs and other similar gear, so I would have preferred them to be all-black or with subdued (smaller or less bright) color marks, but my opinion is irrelevant on this order since I did not get in on time. Please disregard my comments and carry on with your excellent work.  :hat:

Edited by wileecoyote

Here is one finished,
I think they came out great, the back has "Knife Freedom Day 7/1/2014" and the serial number058d5c00d4b9877830ca52fa58ef63d5_zpsd4e4

Ok everything together looks great, I was a little startled by the handle alone. I am curious about the blade steel, I thought as it says on the Pro-Tech web site it was suppose to be CMP-D2, D2 was mentioned some in our discussions. I understand what CPM (Crucible Powder Metallurgy) means but am curious about the difference between CPM-D2 and CPM-154, and the change in this case.

Joe W.

Ok everything together looks great, I was a little startled by the handle alone. I am curious about the blade steel, I thought as it says on the Pro-Tech web site it was suppose to be CMP-D2, D2 was mentioned some in our discussions. I understand what CPM (Crucible Powder Metallurgy) means but am curious about the difference between CPM-D2 and CPM-154, and the change in this case.
Joe W.

The Blades are supposed to be D2, I have sent your question to Dave, I will let you know what he says Edited by willis68

Joe W.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/529471-154CM-vs-D2

Yup.  The clip is on the other side.  And the great thing about these is that they are a standard emerson style three hole clip.  Which means you have options for customization!  

Do you like skulls or crosses?  Dog paws or lions?  Steel flame has you covered with some badass clips.  

http://steelflame.com/knife-clips/

And I think Les George even has some stamped clips (much cheaper) that have his dagger logo on them.  You could contact him about getting one. 

Tough stuff. Notice it kinda separated the men from the boys. :)

I always wondered why Pro Tech uses 154 CM in 99% of their knifes now it makes perfect sense and I kinda of hope they switched to it on these, we will see what Dave tells me Edited by willis68

I always wondered why Pro Tech uses 154 CM in 99% of their knifes now it makes perfect sense and I kinda of hope they switched to it on these, we will see what Dave tells me

Benchmade is real big on it. Only one of my ZT's use it. All the rest use better steel (S30V, S35VN, ELMAX). I would rather have D2.

Edited by mikegideon

Yup.  The clip is on the other side.  And the great thing about these is that they are a standard emerson style three hole clip.  Which means you have options for customization!  

Do you like skulls or crosses?  Dog paws or lions?  Steel flame has you covered with some badass clips.  

http://steelflame.com/knife-clips/

And I think Les George even has some stamped clips (much cheaper) that have his dagger logo on them.  You could contact him about getting one. 

WOW those are expensive! Pretty cool though.