How do you prefer to sell a firearm?

Guest Ditchdigger

Is there a law that requires the TBI to destroy them? If so, you think they are violating the law and everyone in the TBI is keeping that secret?

They won't have to keep it a secret if ATF/FBI and NSA have hacked in TBI computer system cause they will get it same time TBI does and even if TBI does destroy them doesn't mean ATF/ FBI does not have them. I trust TBI to do what they say. I just don't trust the FAST and FURIOUS guys..................jmho

ok, answered my own question on Feds. Every time a TICS check is run it automatically goes through the NICS system also so the Feds do get the same request the TBI gets.

From TBI Site:

TBI Instant Check System (TICS)

In response to the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, the Tennessee State Legislature incorporated the federal legislation into the Tennessee gun transfer statute with an amendment. The TBI Instant Check System (TICS) began operation on November 1, 1998. This amendment requires that TBI establish and maintain a background check system that meets or exceeds the requirements established by the Brady Act for continuing recipient background checks on all firearm transactions except those specifically excluded by law.

The TICS Unit runs a check including a National Instant Check System (NICS) check on a prospective gun purchaser from a licensed firearm dealer or to redeem a firearm from pawn from a licensed firearm dealer. To meet the federal and state requirements, TICS accesses the following databases:

I always put in my ad that Seller will be required to sign a Bill of Sale. It is not a legal requirement but a lot of things not legally required are still a good idea. I expect you to sign that you are legally permitted to own a gun and I want your name and address. I also put my name and address on the bill of sale. This protects me if you ( or whoever you sell the gun to ) leave it at the scene of a crime. It also protects you if the officer who stops you for speeding next month finds your gun and runs it and finds it to be stolen. I am not turning this info over to the ATF and if you have nothing to prevent you from legally purchasing a gun, I don't think most reasonable people will object to this. I certainly have no problem signing a Bill of sale when purchasing a Firearm from you. If you have a problem signing one for me ( Just Buy Your Gun Someplace Else.)

• Like 1

ok, answered my own question on Feds. Every time a TICS check is run it automatically goes through the NICS system also so the Feds do get the same request the TBI gets.

Of course. It's federal law that FFL firearm sales in all states go through NICS, except the states that are allowed by ATF to use carry permit in lieu of it, and who have also enacted that by state law (which is still NICS based).

TICS is just another unconstitutional add on layer, doing badly what need not be done at all, and charging you for the damn hassle to boot, as NICS checks are free.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I always put in my ad that Seller will be required to sign a Bill of Sale. It is not a legal requirement but a lot of things not legally required are still a good idea. I expect you to sign that you are legally permitted to own a gun and I want your name and address. I also put my name and address on the bill of sale. This protects me if you ( or whoever you sell the gun to ) leave it at the scene of a crime. It also protects you if the officer who stops you for speeding next month finds your gun and runs it and finds it to be stolen. I am not turning this info over to the ATF and if you have nothing to prevent you from legally purchasing a gun, I don't think most reasonable people will object to this. I certainly have no problem signing a Bill of sale when purchasing a Firearm from you. If you have a problem signing one for me ( Just Buy Your Gun Someplace Else.)

Same here.  I have no problem showing ID, filling in a form with my name and address, and signing and dating it, verifying that on whatever day, I purchased the gun (make, model, serial number listed) from the seller (name, address listed) for a specific dollar amount.

If ever sell a gun to someone, those would be the conditions on the sale, stated up front.  If both parties don't agree to that, then there won't be a sale.  If a seller won't provide a bill of sale, showing the gun info, date, sale price, and his or her name, then I won't buy.

I am not trying to pick a fight, but if you show me your ID, do you think I won't remember your name?  I think you are kidding yourself a little. 

remember all you want,  just don't write it down at least not in my presence.  If you want my info say so up front.

I personally will not buy or sell any gun without a bill of sale. Why you may ask, because I want a paper trail if ever needed. I do the same thing with every thing I buy or sell. I also make it clean when I sell or buy bill of sale required, must be a TN resident, can legally purchase a gun and 21 years or older.yes, I know I can sell or buy from someone 18 years or older, but it is just my requirement. Most of the bill of sale thing comes from being in the corporate world for most of my working life " Cover Your Ass". jmho
[quote name="gregintenn" post="1161177" timestamp="1403372512"]Who here has sold a gun and later needed proof of who bought it?[/quote]I thought I was going to need it once. I sold a gun to a guy. He sold it another guy who used it in a gome invasion robbery. I thought for sure I'd get a visit from the police, but I did not. This leads me to believe I do not need proof of a sale ever. I just need to verify they are a Tennessee resident of legal age and not a felon. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee
  • Like 1

I thought I was going to need it once. I sold a gun to a guy. He sold it another guy who used it in a gome invasion robbery. I thought for sure I'd get a visit from the police, but I did not. This leads me to believe I do not need proof of a sale ever. I just need to verify they are a Tennessee resident of legal age and not a felon. Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

This brings me to another question. I read the law to state it is illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to a felon. How much burden, exactly, does that place on me to determine whether or not the buyer is indeed a felon?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in here, but all I remember from my carry class discussions was that you must ask if the buyer is a legal resident of Tn, ask to verify residence and age,  ask if he or she, is legal to purchase in Tn, and not have personal knowledge of anything about the person that would prevent them from buying from an FFL.

That is all I've ever had asked of me at any rate.

Who here has sold a gun and later needed proof of who bought it?

I sold a gun to a gun in Franklin. It was stolen from his house in a burglary. The suspect was caught in possession of the gun. The DA used the victim’s testimony at the guy’s trial to show ownership, and then refused to give the gun back to the victim without proof of ownership. He lost his copy of the BOS I gave him and asked for a copy; I sent him one. I guess if the guy hadn’t had my information he would have been out a $1000 handgun.
  • Like 1

This brings me to another question. I read the law to state it is illegal to knowingly sell a firearm to a felon. How much burden, exactly, does that place on me to determine whether or not the buyer is indeed a felon?

It doesn’t place any burden on you, it’s not against the law to sell to a felon; it’s against the law to sell to someone you know is a felon. The Burden is on state to prove you knew the person was a felon. (Of course hefty legal fees could be involved) Not the same though for age and state of residence; you can check ID for that.

Guest Ditchdigger

I already told you, it would still be "in your name forever" even if you transfer it through FFL as far as who'd they look for first.

I can learn new stuff, after the redness on my forehead goes away, Hope you didn't hurt your trigger finger Oh Shoot.

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Several options. Up front notice of Bill Of Sale signature maybe the way for me to go.

It doesn’t place any burden on you, it’s not against the law to sell to a felon; it’s against the law to sell to someone you know is a felon. The Burden is on state to prove you knew the person was a felon. (Of course hefty legal fees could be involved) Not the same though for age and state of residence; you can check ID for that.

That's how I understand it as well.

Heard a guy on a CB radio selling a 9 mm by one of the truckstops, a bunch of guys asked him about it and he explained: its a snap on combination model and if anyone wanted to see it, look for the guy wearing the ski mask by the dumpster..