I got a ticket and missed my court date! Freaking out a little!

Not to make you worry any further, but the issue isn't just a ticket. Failure to appear is a separate offense (sort of like contempt of court). Each judge (not just court) could have a different way of handling it. However, I have certainly seen judges enter bench warrants on this type of thing. I would suggest calling the Decatur Co. sheriff's office tomorrow and see if they can tell you if a warrant was issued. If so, you will need to deal with it (probably have to appear at another court date). I doubt it will be a big deal, but just more of a hassle. However, you certainly need to be proactive.

I don't know any attorneys in Decatur Co., so I am not sure that court would issue a warrant or not. Here in Williamson, it would depend on the judge.
  • Like 1
It is 230 in the morning and I am wide eyed worried. My children are with their grandparents, I leave in the morning to get them. I am so fearful of driving on a suspended license/having a warrant out/anything and getting pulled over with my babies in the vehicle. I logged into tn.gov to pay a reinstatement fee. It says my status is valid. So I paid the $7 to pull my driving record and the ticket is not on there yet. Do either of those things mean anything? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Edited by Ladyhay
I would say you do not have to worry for a few days. Was it a city officer? If so I have never witnessed a city judge in TN issue a warrant for failure to appear but rather revoke a license. A revoked (for FTA) is generally a ticket and call a ride to pick you and your vehicle. The county magistrate issues the warrants when you FTA for their court. I still think that a week is too soon for that to happen though.

One other thing; Several times in the past I have went to court as an officer and the accused party did not show. When the judge and I discussed the person, the offense, and even the time period from which a ticket had been issued; we would hold off on issuing a warrant or revoking a license if there were any doubts. Edited by Patton
  • Like 1

I can't wait to see how this comes out now!!!! Please make sure you contact them on Monday and see just what has taken place and what your going to need to do and hoops you will have to ump through getting the issue resolved............... :up: :up:

• Like 1
[quote name="JohnC" post="1161147" timestamp="1403365433"]Print out your receipt just in case you get pulled over. You can show the officer that and explain. It might help or it might not if they issued a warrant, that depends on the officer and circumstances.[/quote] Good point! I just did that so I have the receipt printed, the "valid" status of my DL from tn.gov, and my driving record which doesn't show the ticket yet. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
If a big black bus shows up in front of your house that says dog and Beth on it....be ready for......
Call court clerk Monday am and make sure your money went through and provide them with the numbers they need ie confirmation of payment..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.
  • Like 1

I would say you do not have to worry for a few days. Was it a city officer? If so I have never witnessed a city judge in TN issue a warrant for failure to appear but rather revoke a license. A revoked (for FTA) is generally a ticket and call a ride to pick you and your vehicle. The county magistrate issues the warrants when you FTA for their court. I still think that a week is too soon for that to happen though.

One other thing; Several times in the past I have went to court as an officer and the accused party did not show. When the judge and I discussed the person, the offense, and even the time period from which a ticket had been issued; we would hold off on issuing a warrant or revoking a license if there were any doubts.

I am not trying to scare the OP, but in my experience with a revoked from a FTA I was not given a stern warning and a chance to call a ride. I was given a ride and a change of clothes. Then I had to call a bondsman. The arresting officer didn't care that I had a revoked from a 55 in 45, all he saw was revoked and hauled my happy little butt off to jail.

• Like 1
My status online says valid and ticket isn't showing on my driving record. Do you think this is still likely that my lic is suspended. If so I will certainly do what I have to to not drive this weekend. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suspect there is some lag in the system, ie big stack of paper work that takes a few days to go through, then a few more to get them entered etc.  That's why your original ticket hasn't shown up yet.  I wouldn't let this ruin your weekend.  They won't have an all points bulletin out for you so don't be paranoid.  Drive correctly and lawfully so as that they won't look at you and you'll be ok.

I would call Monday and talk to them and they will tell you what to do.  I would hazard a guess that this is sort of a common issue.  You won't be the first or the last to do this.

Edited by hardknox00001
  • Like 2

My status online says valid and ticket isn't showing on my driving record.
Do you think this is still likely that my lic is suspended.
If so I will certainly do what I have to to not drive this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you call the sheriff's office? Your driving record isn't the issue at this point. As I mentioned earlier, the failure to appear is a SEPARATE issue. The warrant (if there even is one) is because you did not appear as required and is not really related to the ticket itself. Driving on a suspended license isn't a big deal and probably wouldn't show up until the State (on the court) processes it. On the other hand, a bench warrant is immediate add would be in LEO system much faster. Hopefully, no warrant was issued for the FTA at all. But you need to be trying to find out if there's a warrant out, not the status of your license. Edited by midtennchip
[quote name="midtennchip" post="1161293" timestamp="1403393289"]Did you call the sheriff's office? Your driving record isn't the issue at this point. As I mentioned earlier, the failure to appear is a SEPARATE issue. The warrant (if there even is one) is because you did not appear as required and is not really related to the ticket itself. Driving on a suspended license isn't a big deal and probably wouldn't show up until the State (on the court) processes it. On the other hand, a bench warrant is immediate add would be in LEO system much faster. Hopefully, no warrant was issued for the FTA at all. But you need to be trying to find out if there's a warrant out, not the status of your license.[/quote] Yes I called last night they didn't know anything but referred me to the HWY patrol who said not to worry about it (bc the paperwork would t be processes that quickly) and to call on Mon. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I called last night they didn't know anything but referred me to the HWY patrol who said not to worry about it (bc the paperwork would t be processes that quickly) and to call on Mon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like no bench warrant was issued.
  • Like 1

I am not trying to scare the OP, but in my experience with a revoked from a FTA I was not given a stern warning and a chance to call a ride. I was given a ride and a change of clothes. Then I had to call a bondsman. The arresting officer didn't care that I had a revoked from a 55 in 45, all he saw was revoked and hauled my happy little butt off to jail.

Since it was the HWY Patrol what I was sharing is irrelevant now. It is an officers discretion to arrest or not. Even for the most minor TCA codes a ticket is issued in leu of arrest anyway. What I was saying as a city officer was our city judge could not issue a warrant for FTA and could only send paperwork into the state to revoke a license.
  • Like 1

Since it was the HWY Patrol what I was sharing is irrelevant now. It is an officers discretion to arrest or not. Even for the most minor TCA codes a ticket is issued in leu of arrest anyway. What I was saying as a city officer was our city judge could not issue a warrant for FTA and could only send paperwork into the state to revoke a license.

I fully understand that it is up to the discretion of the officer. I have a feeling that a woman with children in the car would be in a lot better situation to go on her own way than a young kid in a hot rod.

I am just saying that my personal experience when my license was suspended (we keep saying revoked, but they are two different levels of removal of privilege) was that I got hauled in for Driving While Suspended. I was also 19 years old driving a fire engine red Mustang.

So there were multiple factors.

I personally believe that if on the rare chance that the OP was pulled over today, and she explained her situation, she would be told to take care of it Monday and have a good weekend.

Of course the solution in the future would be to abide by the speed limit, use your indicators and come to a complete stop, even before a right hand turn. But I have my own personal reasons for being a stickler for the rules of the road.

[quote name="Patton" post="1161332" timestamp="1403397496"]Since it was the HWY Patrol what I was sharing is irrelevant now. It is an officers discretion to arrest or not. Even for the most minor TCA codes a ticket is issued in leu of arrest anyway. What I was saying as a city officer was our city judge could not issue a warrant for FTA and could only send paperwork into the state to revoke a license.[/quote] Thanks Patton. I read your earlier your reply and it helped me settle a bit. :) I reached out to a family friend who is a circuit judge in the next county, she was very kind and said not to worry. She said they usually give a full thirty days before anything although some officers set court much earlier. It's to get traffic school lined up. She said I may have to pay a late fee, but maybe not since it was technically an hour and 45 minutes over the 30 day window. So I am home for the weekend not tempting and fate and will call Monday. Thank you ALL so much! Lesson LEARNED! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Didn't read through all of the responses.

*Nutshell
Most counties compact and send in the citation as not complied with when you miss and do nothing about it. You will get suspended eventually, Nashville is slooow. A failure to appear is issued less and less these days. Sooner or later if you get suspended you'll end up back at the courthouse you didnt pay your ticket at. Pay it so that place sends in complied to Nashville, pay state reinstatement fee and you are back on the road.

*Dont frett.
Go to the courthouse and tell them you missed. Ask if you can go to driving school, if the judge isn't around to approve that. You may just have to pay it. Locally it takes the clerk doing driving offences about a week to "send in" the ticket. So don't worry about it.
  • Like 1
They just emailed me the notice that payment was accepted so YES, I am breathing. :) And about to go pick up my first semi-automatic. :) never bought myself a gun so with all of this I wasn't even going to bother until I knew it was settled. Thank you all for the hand holding!! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
Guest Lowbuster
I got pulled over in november of 13. I went to change my tags over to morristown and had not put my sticker on yet. I was driving and got pulled over. The officer says, "you were driving right and have not done anything wrong, but your tags say Grainger but tags are registered to morristown address. " I asked how he knew and he's said that they are told to punch in tags as they drive and check for anything. He said it looked like my tags were stolen. Well whatdayaknow but my wife put insurance information in her wallet and I didn't have proof of financial responsibility. He wrote me a warning and says to be in court on day x. I had to go before judge due to the situation. Well me and three others show up and wait about an hour and a officer asks us if we need help. After showing him tickets, he says court was yesterday so I got hit with failure to appear. I've checked after clearing it up I hope, and all is well.the officer dated tickets wrong.
All this just because I did nothing but wait until I got home to put my stickers on.
By the way, should officers be able to drive down the road and work on computers when its illegal to text and drive.

Put your stickers on at the court house if you move.....