What ever happened to the Remington 9mm

Ray Z

I see; I guess the gun industry operates differently than most other industries. As I said I guess it could happen. Maybe they should do like the junk coming from overseas; if you can sell it cheap enough no one expects it to be quality. biggrin.gif

I doubt the gun industry is any different than anything else anymore. I've had 3 engineering jobs in 3 different industries and seen it happen in all 3.
  • Like 1

I doubt the gun industry is any different than anything else anymore.

I don't think they are.  Many people assume that gun manufacturers are in the business to enable our 2nd amendment rights or some similar cause.  They are in the business to make money.  Period.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

If the R51 works, this time around and the reviews are good over many thousands of rounds I want one.     

Me too. I wanted the original but didn't want to be an early adopter. Very glad I have at least a little bit of wisdom inside me.

• Like 1
September issue of Guns Magazine arrived a couple days ago, got to read it this morning. Love their glowing review of the R51...

I hope Remington fixes all the problems. I would be really interested in one of these pistols as a backup, or maybe for my wife if I can ever talk her into getting a permit.
  • Like 1
[quote name="rockman6" post="1173780" timestamp="1406735935"]I heard that it was picky on ammo and the company is working to fix that issue.[/quote] My friend if that's all you've heard you've missed out. More like nothing worked, so the company is trying to make it work

SHORT ANSWER...The R51 is flatlined. Dead until further notice. Big Green surrendered and asked for a voluntary return of all units.

Remington R51 Pistol Product Update

Earlier this year, we launched the innovative R51 subcompact pistol to critical acclaim. During testing, numerous experts found the pistol to function flawlessly. In fact, they found it to have lower felt recoil, lower muzzle rise and better accuracy and concealability than other products in its class.

However, after initial commercial sales, our loyal customers notified us that R51some R51 pistols had performance issues. We immediately ceased production to re-test the product. While we determined the pistols were safe, certain units did not meet Remington’s performance criteria. The performance problems resulted from complications during our transition from prototype to mass production. These problems have been identified and solutions are being implemented, with an expected production restart in October.

Anyone who purchased an R51 may return it and receive a new R51 pistol, along with two additional magazines and a custom Pelican case, by calling Remington at (800) 243-9700.

The new R51 will be of the same exceptional quality as our test pistols, which performed flawlessly.

We appreciate your patience and support.

Doesn't sound dead.
Have you heard something else?

DaveTN, sorry I can't locate the source material that I got the posted comment from. It was a commentary that I ran into just by accident when bouncing from link to link over the weekend.

Possible that I mis-interpreted it, but I understood it to be that all production had ceased, and that not only was the offer of a replacement from stock made, but a refund was coming if wanted. 

It is possible that the production stoppage would be until changes and further test was done though.

You know how it is...I heard/read it on the internet. So it must be true.

I haven't been too impressed with Remington since it was sold off to the Cerebus Investment Company. I purchased a nice laminate stock M700 in 270 and could not get it to group worth anything with three different high end scopes, open sights, and multiple brands/weights of ammo. My chepo Ruger American shot circles around it without even trying hard. 

I had a 70's era built 700 in 270 years ago and it shot like a dream, I don't know what changed in their quality. I do know if you search gunbroker and other auction sites for "green box remington" or "dupont remington" they typically sell for a lot more than the newer ones.

I have pretty much gave up on big green, only shooting their ammo now. If you look at the big picture of offers, Ruger probably coves more bases in offerings of good high quality firearms than any other maker. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw one of these disasters and the Knoxville gun show today.  Brand new in box, don't recall the price and did not ask the dealer a thing about it.  Not the first time I've seen something on a dealer table that is under full recall...think Caracals last year.  Regardless, I was not impressed.