Carrying With Style

Guest num7striker

Guest num7striker

Well, as a young man that is clearly self conscious and concerned with how the ladies look at him, I am confronted with a potentially disastrous scenario. I will have my HCP soon enough and have been wondering: what will I wear? I am not a levis and t-shirt kind of guy, nothing against those who are! :D

I wear khaki shorts in the summer with either a polo shirt or a more form fitting t-shirt. In the winter I wear jeans and khaki pants, which I think will make it much easier to conceal along with heaver shirts and coats and the like.

Polo makes nice collared shirts that I think would be long enough to carry, but I don't know if they would offer enough width. Has anyone found nice shirts that are good for carrying but not obviously over sized?

Also, I have been reading that a lot of people go an inch or two wider on the waist, well I'm short (5'7) so adding width usually makes me look like a stump. So, what do those metrosexuals out there wear while carrying and maintaining their look? It may sound ridiculous, but I don't like the idea of dumbing down my wardrobe for concealment purposes. I think I am going to have to go ahead and buy my IWB holster and go through my closet and model infront of my mirror.

-Phil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most important thing is a good IWB holster and quality gunbelt. For your wardrobe choices, you need to carry as small a gun as you can. I don't really change my style of dress for carry. I mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt. I carry IWB 99% of the time.

There is a trade off. YOU have to choose how much you are willing to give up. Here are some suggestions. Invest in a good IWB holser. I would suggest a CTAC (this is what I have and love), or a MTAC (this is what many on here have and I will consider it when I buy a new one). To wear an IWB, you will need some space in your waistline, I have about an inch. You need a good sturdy belt, http://www.thebeltman.net/ is a good place for stylish belts, never bought one, but have heard good things about them from guys on here.

Form fitting t-shirts are going to be hard to not print with. polo shirt untucked you can easily conceal with the above mentioned IWB holsters, I like the CTAC and the MTAC (and there are others) because you can tuck your shirt in around the holster (by design) and conceal. My way of dress is similiar to yours, I wear a shirt and tie at work, and either a button down shirt, or polo shirt for more casual settings and t-shirts while just running around on the weekend. Dress pants, jeans, cargo shorts, khaki pants. I wear tshirts most weekends and I carry my XD40 service model 4" barrel, in a CTAC all weekend long. No one ever see's it.

Polo shirts are nice, but out of my price range, I'm more of a Target, Kohl's kinda guy.

I have recently lost some weight in my waste and stomach area and I can wear more form fitting cloths, but if my shirt is tucked in I do pull out the shirt tail a little in order to conceal better. If you want to keep the option of the form fitting shirts, I would suggest buying a secondary handgun like the Keltec or J-frame and front pocket carry for those times.

Winter is definately easier to conceal than summer is. You have a choice to make on how and where you carry. When you get your permit, try on your different styles and see how you print. I would suggest someone else to look and see if they can tell or not. You will think that everyone will see your handgun, but really, most will not.

• Administrator

Your wardrobe requirements are similar to those of most women so it sounds like you will face many of the same challenges that they do. Namely, form fitting shirts vs. carrying off the body in your purse. :D

That being said, I'd seriously recommend you give some thought to a small automatic like the Keltec P3AT or the Ruger LCP... or a small revolver like the Smith & Wesson J-Frame, that you could carry in your front pants pocket.

That or embrace the style of wearing bowling shirts or polos that don't show off your heroin-addict physique. :D

Well, as a young man that is clearly self conscious and concerned with how the ladies look at him...

Ahhhh the age old question... how can I "carry" and remain "hawt" for teh ladies. That indeed was a huge problem in the past but thanks to the fine folks at both Federal and Sig Sauer that problem has been almost completely eliminated.

In 1994 great minds came together to solve one problem, but ended up solving another problem at the same. The invention was the amazing .357 sig cartridge... and to a greater extent it's affect on the Female of our species. If you choose any firearm chambered in .357 sig you'll be able to wear it how ever you like with confidence knowing that the ladies will find you irresistible. In fact I would say you could duck tape an Uncle Mike's holster to your chest under a "wife beater" and the ladies would still swoon over you.

On the other hand.... any other caliber will severely limit your options with the ladezzz. I hope I was of some help. :D

*The .357 Sig's affect on women is well documented on the web, is plenty good enough for me.

I had this problem as well when I started carrying. I don't wear baggy clothes, but there is a way around it. An open cover shirt goes a long way, especially if you carry IWB. A t-shirt or polo type that is not TOO tight will also cover a gun IWB.

Now, if you want to carry a large frame gun, then you may have to change your wardrobe. I know alot of people who have a "winter gun" and a "summer gun".

Guest num7striker
Your wardrobe requirements are similar to those of most women so it sounds like you will face many of the same challenges that they do. Namely, form fitting shirts vs. carrying off the body in your purse. :(

That being said, I'd seriously recommend you give some thought to a small automatic like the Keltec P3AT or the Ruger LCP... or a small revolver like the Smith & Wesson J-Frame, that you could carry in your front pants pocket.

That or embrace the style of wearing bowling shirts or polos that don't show off your heroin-addict physique. :D

I only do heroin on Thursdays! And I only carry my purse when I'm out with the girls.. okay, that didn't sound right at all.. anyways. I think maybe I'm over thinking the whole issue, I don't exactly wear indiestyle t-shirts that look like they are sized for children, but I also don't wear cargo pants and overly baggy things either. I think my best bet will be to try some different holsters and see how things go. I just don't want to have to wear super baggy clothes all of the time.

Guest Halfpint

Chiming in a little late, but I've found that 4:00 carry with an untucked button-down shirt works fine--still looks fashionable, it's comfortable, and I can conceal either a USP Compact or 4" 1911 and a spare mag or two very well. (5'4, 155, athletic build)

I'm fortunate enough to be between shirt sizes (S/M) at Express--no comments from the peanut gallery...--and even the small shirts conceal either of my carry guns well.

When I just HAVE to concentrate on dressing for the ladies (well, one lady, now :() I can still conceal a PM-9 or J-frame Smith at 4:00 under a tighter-fitting polo. It's all about what you're concealing and where/how.

Just my :D

Sounds like a J-frame in the pocket might be for you...

But, as a man who likewise has an overpowering sexual aura which would be a waste to hide, I've found through trial and error that it's entirely possible to hide a very large gun in some inconspicuous places... even while carrying a pistol :D

The secret is a low-riding IWB holster at 5 o'clock, with alot of cant. Carried a full-size 1911 this way for a long time, with jeans and rather form-fitting shirts.

I'm fortunate enough to be between shirt sizes (S/M) at Express--no comments from the peanut gallery...--

Don't feel bad bubba...I cheered when I finally started fitting in a large and filling out the chest and sleeves. Thank you U.S Army and apartment complex gym!

I've found that not all Small, Medium, or Large shirts are created equal. 5.11 polos swallow me in a large.

Guest num7striker

In all honesty, pocket carry is just not for me and I doubt it ever will be. I also don't currently have the money to spend on another handgun.

Guest betobeto

LOL, This has got to be one of the most limp risted posts ever:tinfoil::D I cant stop laughing..... Get one of your girl friends to tell you what looks good. Don't ask a whole bunch of guys for clothes tips. But since you asked, keep em all the same and get a gun that you can use with a good ankle holster then you will have no problems unless you have shorts on.

Its all about the gun and holster choice not brand of clothing

Guest TinkerBell

id have to agree... if u have a gf ask her wat looks good or do wat my guy does when he get new clothes... hell ask my opinion on a shirt and i immediately know to look and see if he can conceal well in it. u can still dress well and conceal. no need to dress down to do so...

Guest num7striker
LOL, This has got to be one of the most limp risted posts ever:tinfoil::D I cant stop laughing..... Get one of your girl friends to tell you what looks good. Don't ask a whole bunch of guys for clothes tips. But since you asked, keep em all the same and get a gun that you can use with a good ankle holster then you will have no problems unless you have shorts on.

Its all about the gun and holster choice not brand of clothing

I don't think this could be any further from the truth. Different brands of clothing fit differently. I was asking the GUYS because the GUYS are the ones wearing the clothing. I'm not looking for style tips, I'm asking what you all tend to wear while carrying.

I sense a bit of insecurity in this post.