Re-starting your moniter??

K191145

I have an older HP with Windows Vista, a while back I had to send it to the computer doc to heal it from many viruses and spyware. Sometimes long before that and it still happens now sometimes the site im looking at will have jerky movements and so will my mouse, even solitare when i'm not online. I usually delete all temp files, run CC Cleaner and re-start my computer. That usually seems to work but not every time. Just a while ago I did all that and re-started my computer and it didn't work, still jerky movements,(sorry for all the high tech jargon), then just on a whim I turned off my moniter and back on and that fixed it. I'm assuming there's memory chips and operating circuits and such in my moniter but I never hear about or no one has ever told me to re-start my moniter to fix a problem, just my computer.

So I guess what i'm asking is what would re-starting your moniter does and what causes those jerky movements of my mouse and videos ect.?

Beats me why restarting the monitor cures your problem, BUT --- monitors do go bad.  I used an Acer monitor for about 6 years and it eventually failed.  It developed a shadow on all text that made it unreadable and gave me a headache.

Yours may be failing.  I'd try swapping in another monitor, if you have one.

Beats me why restarting the monitor cures your problem, BUT --- monitors do go bad.  I used an Acer monitor for about 6 years and it eventually failed.  It developed a shadow on all text that made it unreadable and gave me a headache.

Yours may be failing.  I'd try swapping in another monitor, if you have one.

Wellll, I do have an older one but it's been sitting in a shed exposed to dust and tempature swings. Might try some family members.

Where are you? I am on tapatalk and can't see location. I have a 17" hd picture tube monitor that my dad left at the house when I moved in. I can't bring myself to throw away a monitor that cost that much money 10 years ago. About $2000. You are welcome to it if you are close.

Where are you? I am on tapatalk and can't see location. I have a 17" hd picture tube monitor that my dad left at the house when I moved in. I can't bring myself to throw away a monitor that cost that much money 10 years ago. About $2000. You are welcome to it if you are close.

I think i'm at least 150 miles from you, i'm not to far from Nashville. I believe you're close to Sommerville TN. Many years ago I used to skydive at West Tn. Skydiving not too far away from Sommerville.

I'm going to try what Guarfu said and see how that works tomorrow.

Edited by K191145

I have an older HP with Windows Vista, a while back I had to send it to the computer doc to heal it from many viruses and spyware. Sometimes long before that and it still happens now sometimes the site im looking at will have jerky movements and so will my mouse, even solitare when i'm not online. I usually delete all temp files, run CC Cleaner and re-start my computer. That usually seems to work but not every time. Just a while ago I did all that and re-started my computer and it didn't work, still jerky movements,(sorry for all the high tech jargon), then just on a whim I turned off my moniter and back on and that fixed it. I'm assuming there's memory chips and operating circuits and such in my moniter but I never hear about or no one has ever told me to re-start my moniter to fix a problem, just my computer.

So I guess what i'm asking is what would re-starting your moniter does and what causes those jerky movements of my mouse and videos ect.?

Your mouse can go wonky for a variety of reasons.  Is it wireless?  Does the cable go near the monitor cable?   Did you happen to plug in any usb devices when it happened (a well know bug in windows is mistaking usb devices for a usb mouse when it isnt... there is a registry hax to fix the issue if needed).   Some wireless mice communicate via a very short range radio signal.  And if you ever had an am radio near electronics, you know that such signals can be produced as noise from devices sometimes. 

exotic, but some monitors have a mouse cable for a touch screen.  Presumably you don't have this, but if you do, it could have gone wrong there as well.

not sure degauss would help.  Normally that was used to remove magnetic rings in the display, you get partial rings that look like )))  on the display in the corners.  I dunno if modern flatscreens have this issue,  ive not seen it since CRT days.

Edited by Jonnin

Never heard of anything like this. I mean, I suppose it's possible that the monitor isn't refreshing correctly. The image is constantly being redrawn....so i suppose that's possible.... What kind of monitor is it?

It's an HP w1907 flat screen, about 7 years old.  It seems to be doing fine today, it will just happem at random.

It's an HP w1907 flat screen, about 7 years old.  It seems to be doing fine today, it will just happem at random.

I have to agree with Jonnin, i would suspect the mouse first. What kind of mouse is it? Wired or Wireless? Is it plugged into the PC directly or via the monitor?

[quote name="K191145" post="1176122" timestamp="1407302654"]I think i'm at least 150 miles from you, i'm not to far from Nashville. I believe you're close to Sommerville TN. Many years ago I used to skydive at West Tn. Skydiving not too far away from Sommerville. I'm going to try what Guarfu said and see how that works tomorrow.[/quote] I am about 35 miles west of Somerville. If anyone else wants this monitor let me know.

I have to agree with Jonnin, i would suspect the mouse first. What kind of mouse is it? Wired or Wireless? Is it plugged into the PC directly or via the monitor?

It's wired into the computer. It's not an old wheel mouse, it has the laser light.

well I would check the cable, get it away from the monitor cable and monitor as best you can, see if it helps.

Something else I haven't thought of or forgot about, I rarely use my printer and keep it turned off until I want to print something, long ago I noticed that my computer would act up, pages loading slower, games freezing up for a second when I used my printer(sometimes) and would have to turn it off and re-start my computer then it worked fine. I have an HP Photosmart all in one scanner/printer. Thing is it doesn't effect my computer all the time.

i'm using it on a regular mouse pad now, before I used it on the desk but it was making marks on it.

Is it one of those rigid mouse pads or cloth? Sometimes with those plastic surface mouse pads the texture on it can cause the mouse to freak out because the laser/IR is sitting on a peak. You'd know because the mouse cursor will flash or jiggle back and forth.

Going back to your original post, you mention the site you're visiting will have jerky movements. Can you expand on that?

Honestly at this point, it could be any number of things. Some type of interference, mouse is going dead, computer is low on resources... you name it.

***edit*** an easy test is to try something else besides the mouse pad and possibly plug in a different mouse.

Edited by NoBanStan

How is the mouse causing jerky video as described in the OP Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Perception is everything. He says the video is jumpy and so is the mouse. I'm presuming this is mouse lag because troubleshooting a mouse first is easy to do for normal users.

From there we're getting into performance/drivers, etc. 

I troubleshoot easy to hard. No sense in tearing apart the engine when you never bothered to check the fuel gauge.

[quote name="NoBanStan" post="1176874" timestamp="1407471306"]Perception is everything. He says the video is jumpy and so is the mouse. I'm presuming this is mouse lag because troubleshooting a mouse first is easy to do for normal users. From there we're getting into performance/drivers, etc. I troubleshoot easy to hard. No sense in tearing apart the engine when you never bothered to check the fuel gauge.[/quote] I get that. I used to start with did you turn the box on, No, not the screen, the box.... In this case though, given the age of the PC I would bet on a faulty monitor or video card. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The high voltage rectifier, or something like that, in the older CRT styles can cause this. You can get an LCD fairly cheap anymore, you can upgrade to that if you determine the monitor is the issue. If I were closer I would probably have a spare CRT

The high voltage rectifier, or something like that, in the older CRT styles can cause this. You can get an LCD fairly cheap anymore, you can upgrade to that if you determine the monitor is the issue. If I were closer I would probably have a spare CRT

He has an HP LCD