Amendments that will be on the ballot

Randall53

Amend 2:  Would it not be a little better to have Judges have to be approved by the full State Senate and House no matter how they get nominated or picked by the Governor?  The August Primary is the real answer to the "Let the citizens vote for each Judge."  Look at the opportunity missed to rid this State of some very liberal judges, but each one was retained by the voters!  We Tennesseans do not like to vote against an Incumbent.  Even when we know they are not the best choice, nor reflect conservative values at all.  At least a vote for #2 would make some group have to look more closely and possibly make a better choice than that of the Too-Scared-To-Change Tennessee Voter! 

By the way, I did vote but lost on many of my decisions during the Primary this year.  I hold myself accountable to my own beliefs and vote my conscience even when it is unpopular!  I can apply the same above recognition to a State Senator, etc...  Whether you vote for a Democrat or a RINO, you still get all those wonderful liberal choices that apply to all of us conservatives that like to complain!  I have reason...

#1---Yes, #2---Yes, #3---Yes, #4---Yes.  Abortion is Murder; Judges need accountability not votes; Read our Lips; and Alcohol is a no no for Christians (Read the Bible and check the meaning of words in context.), but I won't limit it's sale for anyone who does drink!

I have read this thread 3 times and still draw a blank of what to vote for and all I know now is I need a drink..............jmho

Tell me about it! I have Republican poll workers, friends, these forums and the stupid ballot in front of me and everyone has a different view of what it means and what effect it will have.

These are important amendments we're voting on and probably 90% of the voters (myself included) don't know which way to vote on them?  It's got to be by design!

Not much would be more infuriating than taking the time to vote and find out later you voted for what you're against.

If you have any extra, pass the bottle this way :surrender:

Never surrender. Discussions like this help me more than anything than what I can pick up otherwise.
Every group has an agenda to push, sorting out the details, like we have here, makes it more clear to me and I could care less about the brain dead voting. I did my part.

(Posting through my mobile app works without a hitch, my blank posts above are another issue, definitely need a nuke button added to edit options.) Edited by kieefer
  • Like 1

Every group has an agenda to push, ....

There's a really ironic ad on urging a no vote on the abortion amendment .. they use an example of a woman who chose to keep her baby even though she had just been diagnosed with cancer, as was her "choice".

If you haven't seen it on tube, it's here:

http://knoxblogs.com/humphreyhill/2014/10/01/first-vote-1-tv-commercial-aired/

- OS

Guest Field Boss

Amend 2:  Would it not be a little better to have Judges have to be approved by the full State Senate and House no matter how they get nominated or picked by the Governor?  The August Primary is the real answer to the "Let the citizens vote for each Judge."  Look at the opportunity missed to rid this State of some very liberal judges, but each one was retained by the voters!  We Tennesseans do not like to vote against an Incumbent.  Even when we know they are not the best choice, nor reflect conservative values at all.  At least a vote for #2 would make some group have to look more closely and possibly make a better choice than that of the Too-Scared-To-Change Tennessee Voter! 

By the way, I did vote but lost on many of my decisions during the Primary this year.  I hold myself accountable to my own beliefs and vote my conscience even when it is unpopular!  I can apply the same above recognition to a State Senator, etc...  Whether you vote for a Democrat or a RINO, you still get all those wonderful liberal choices that apply to all of us conservatives that like to complain!  I have reason...

#1---Yes, #2---Yes, #3---Yes, #4---Yes.  Abortion is Murder; Judges need accountability not votes; Read our Lips; and Alcohol is a no no for Christians (Read the Bible and check the meaning of words in context.), but I won't limit it's sale for anyone who does drink!

Isn't it true,  in the Bible,  Jesus turn the water to wine and Christains were drinking wine from time to time and to be an Elder ,not be be a drinker of much ?

Water was never the first choice of drink in ancient civilizations due to sanitation concerns.

- OS

Or in most of the Third-World Sh**holes that our Uncle Sam had me visit.

I do agree with stillstanding669 voting guide.    #1---Yes, #2---Yes, #3---Yes, #4---Yes.

Edited by DMark
  • Like 1

Well, currently we pay a lot more for wine than if I go over the line to GA. And I don't think the 20% will stand very long because it's not equal protection under the law. I am actually surprised it hasn't been challenged yet, but am guessing that the stores are waiting until it's voted okay by people in the counties before they start pushing against that.

exactly.  Once the law is in,  what the voters okayed will change.    Someday we will have Sunday sales too.  

Also to properly compare wine prices state to state you have to look further than retail pricing.  Taxes are built into it all.  All sin taxes are not alike from state to state.

Amend #4.  Wow, never thought my Christian convictions concerning wine in the Bible would be offensive to anyone!  However, I will give you a link and let you know that the Dec 4th, 11th, 18th, and Jan 8th messages in audio are very much the way that I see things now in my life.  This has not always been so, but every mistake, bad "???" I have had in my life has had a bottle or glass of alcohol associated with it!

Please feel free to listen, as it will not cost you anything but your time to get a very good idea as to "What the Bible says about drinking."

"http://www.southhavenbaptist.org/shbc/sermon_media?currpage=5&sa_action="

Again, I will be voting for anyone that wants to purchase wine, etc... from the local grocery store to do so.  I am not your conscience, but let God guide you and you might see things differently.    I think my belief deals more with fermentation always being used to identify sin too.

I plan to vote on Friday.  I'm still deciding who gets my Senate vote and I need to do more research on my General Assembly candidates since this is my first statewide election in my current residence. 

As far as the ballot measures go...

#1:  No, for several reasons. 

• There are no exemptions for rape, incest, life of the mother in the proposed amendment, thus no guarantee they would be in any laws passed
  • I truly feel this is a woman's decision, not a man's
  • I don't like lowering the standard of privacy found in the TN State Constitution, even in this one specific subject

#2: Yes.  I want to keep judges as far away from money in politics as possible.

#3:  Yes.  TN has proven the ability to run the state well enough without an income tax, and if one is going to be levied after this long without one, it should be up to the people to approve it.

#4:  Yes.  Like I said earlier, this should be a legislative fix, but it should happen so I'll vote yes.

The Wine Conundrum:  Leaning yes by 60/40 on free market economic fundamentals, but still deciding on this one because of local business concerns.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

For moi:

#1: Will not vote

Abortion itself is perhaps the only major issue about which I still remain pretty much exactly ambivalent. Also, the amendment can't ban it, but will just cause a passel of restrictive bills against clinics and mothers, likely each of which will have to go through the courts, causing money, time, and indecision until most of them are struck down. A lawyer's delight only. But will let everyone else decide.

#2: Yes.

-  Voting no will not cause election of judges unless legislature enacts legislation to cause that

-  Gov put the last two in with no oversight whatsoever, and that will continue if amendment doesn't pass, at least without new legislation -- at least this will cause legislative approval

-  If it's good enough for the Founding Fathers to do it this way, good enough for me, plus the amendment goes one step further even, requiring approval by both houses, and the retention elections continue

#3: Yes.

For sure. May not make any diff in long run as far as actual bucks taken from wallet, but at least each new tax will have to be debated and passed individually

#4: Yes.

Gambling laws are stupid. As long as the game ain't rigged, it should be allowed, even in my basement. And actually, I don't really see much diff between new amendment and what was already allowed anyway.

Local city and county referendums on wine: Yes on both

General principle of free enterprise. Same sin tax no matter who sells it. States where you can buy most of your sins in one place don't seem any the worse for it. Let chips fall where they may. Why not open up liquor sales too? (because of underhanded wheeling and dealing with money to be made in handing out the few licenses, I'd wager).

Five City Charter referendums on pensions: No on all.

Tried to research, still unclear. Can't vote for any change that I as a relatively well educated citizen can't understand.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

Amend 1:  As for how the lawyer folks described it to me the other day:  The TN Constitution at one time banned abortions period.  The Roe Vs Wade US Supreme Court decision struck all the bans down for everyone in the nation.  This gave the ability for folks to get one anywhere.  The Legislature has passed restrictions in the past to have a delay or wait time and to make the doctors tell these young women the pros and cons of their possible decision to get or not to get an abortion.  Up unto now the TN Supreme Court has struck down those restrictions with legal wording that is pointing in the direction of it being a legal right to have an abortion.  This is the sticker!  If it is a right, rather than a choice, the State may well have to start paying for them with our hard earned tax dollars---Like Minnesota:  "http://www.lifenews.com/2014/05/05/minnesota-court-forces-taxpayers-to-keep-funding-abortions/"

At least with a Yes vote the Legislature could impose some restrictions.  Until Roe Vs Wade is overturned there will always be the ability to get an abortion anywhere in the U.S.  Do you really like the facts that so many women come to TN to get one?  No restrictions, on-demand, cash in hand, no licensing and checking to see if the facilities are sterile?  Somehow this needs to be fixed.  Amend 1 is a starting point!  Don't be fulled by Planned Parenthood commercials.  Whether you believe or not, God will judge each individual for what we do here.

• Like 1

One more point about Amend 1 and voting or not voting.  If 50% + 1 vote of the Governor's election total votes is not reached by this amendment, then it fails.  Anyone that does not vote is automatically counted as a "No" vote.  Finding reasons not to vote, or just not marking the vote one way or the other is still a "No" vote.  You don't have to vote for the Governor to still vote for this amendment, or anything else on the ballot.  You have a choice.

• Like 2

...Finding reasons not to vote, or just not marking the vote one way or the other is still a "No" vote.  ...

What a specious argument. Like saying if you don't drink soda, it's a choice for Pepsi instead of Coke.  If you don't vote, you don't vote -- you're simply not part of the equation.

You should be happy enough that I'm not negating your vote, eh?

edit: I wuz wrong. Second time this decade. ;)

...  Whether you believe or not, God will judge each individual for what we do here.

If there is one, I'm nowhere near vain enough to claim knowing its mind.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

What a specious argument. Like saying if you don't drink soda, it's a choice for Pepsi instead of Coke. If you don't vote, you don't vote -- you're simply not part of the equation.

You should be happy enough that I'm not negating your vote, eh?

If there is one, I'm nowhere near vain enough to claim knowing its mind.

- OS

A non-vote is tabulated by the counter as a no vote. It is not registered as a "non-vote". Thus a non vote is automatically a no vote. He wasn't making a subjective equivalence statement. It was an objective statement of procedure.
  • Like 2

The way I figure it, if you don't vote for a candidate or issue, it's the equivalent of a vote for the opposition---The vote that would have canceled yours puts them one ahead.

As far as God judging how you vote, if I read my Bible right this is not the deal breaker for God's favor.  Not belonging to Him in the first place puts you in enough jeopardy.

Edited by gun sane

A non-vote is tabulated by the counter as a no vote. It is not registered as a "non-vote". Thus a non vote is automatically a no vote. He wasn't making a subjective equivalence statement. It was an objective statement of procedure.

Where do y'all get that from? AFAIK, they simply tabulate the actual yes/no votes? Certainly willing to learn if different.

If I don't vote for US Senator, does Lamar or Gordon get a vote?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Where do y'all get that from? AFAIK, they simply tabulate the actual yes/no votes? Certainly willing to learn if different.

If I don't vote for US Senator, does Lamar or Gordon get a vote?

- OS

Amendments are different. The yes votes have to win and be 50% + 1 of the total votes for governor for the amendment to pass. So if 100,000 people vote for governor but only 80,000 vote on an amendment, it still takes 50,0001 yes votes to be approved. 

Don't try to make sense of this - some politicians obviously came up with this plan!

Amendments are different. The yes votes have to win and be 50% + 1 of the total votes for governor for the amendment to pass. So if 100,000 people vote for governor but only 80,000 vote on an amendment, it still takes 50,0001 yes votes to be approved. 

Don't try to make sense of this - some politicians obviously came up with this plan!

I think you all are talking about this from TN constitution:

"Article XI Sec. 3 TN Constitution
..And if the people shall approve and ratify such amendment or amendments by a majority of all the citizens of the State voting for Governor, voting in their favor, such amendment or amendments shall become a part of this Constitution..."

But I thought "voting for Governor" has been interpreted as "those who show at polls in Gubernatorial election year", not whether they actually cast a vote in that race?

Can't find anything conclusive about it.

So, if I vote for every thing else, but don't cast a vote in the Governor's race, then my "non vote" for an amendment would be same as if I hadn't come to polls at all,  but if I do vote in the Governor category, then it's mathematically a "no"?

Are our voting booths/software really set up for that level of discrimination?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yep, that's it. Like I said, it doesn't make much sense (at least to me). The state interprets "voting for Governor" as actually casting a ballot in the Gubernatorial race.

I think the intent is to keep from passing an amendment that most people don't care enough about to vote. Using 50% of the votes cast for governor at least gives some minimum amount of support.

Edited by bubbadavis