My first AR

DaveS

I fired it out back when I got it. It shoots really smooth and cycles faster than I can blink. Out of the box it shot just a tad high. My SIL whom has built several under the advice of Dolomite, checked it out and said the bolt seemed a little tight, but my be due to being new. I do not like the plastic Pmag magazines as I'm a old school M-16 kind of guy and like the metal mags. I ordered optics for it yesterday, and as soon as I get some "glass" on it, I'll share some target info with you.

Dave

Why? P-Mags are combat proven and capable. I personally know several guys who served who preferred them over USGI. Larry Vickers put it a pretty good way though, plastic mags are meant for the here and now as plastic over time deteriorates. Metal mags will last just about as long as you, if not more so. For a prep mindset, I can understand but I can't see any other reasoning than that.

Why? P-Mags are combat proven and capable. I personally know several guys who served who preferred them over USGI. Larry Vickers put it a pretty good way though, plastic mags are meant for the here and now as plastic over time deteriorates. Metal mags will last just about as long as you, if not more so. For a prep mindset, I can understand but I can't see any other reasoning than that.

My neighbor is active duty SF and I talked to him a bit ago, and he said they S*** canned the metal mags, and the guys bought their own plastic mags. I guess I'm just old fashioned is all. These Pmags will grow on me I suppose.

Dave

I fired it out back when I got it. It shoots really smooth and cycles faster than I can blink. Out of the box it shot just a tad high. ..

Who knows where it's zeroed, but you'll have to figure that out. .223/5.56 behaves far from .22LR or .30-30 or handgun rounds,  for example, ie, not a constant drop after 50 yards or whatever.

Roughly:

If you zero full power 5.56 loads at 25 meters, shot will be a significantly high most of the way to 300 where it meets zero again.

If zeroed at 50 yards (my preference) will be couple inches low to the 50, then about 2 inches high most of the way to about 220 yards when comes back down to zero, holdover against low after that. Very little spread that way for "combat" accuracy if you ain't fightin' it out in a flat desert somewhere. ;)

If you're trying to shoot best precision target groups, you'll have to fine tune for exact distance like with any other shootin iron, and of course every ammo load is different anyway you figure things.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Who knows where it's zeroed, but you'll have to figure that out. .223/5.56 behaves far from .22LR or .30-30 or handgun rounds,  for example, ie, not a constant drop after 50 yards or whatever.

Roughly:

If you zero full power 5.56 loads at 25 meters, shot will be a significantly high most of the way to 300 where it meets zero again.

If zeroed at 50 yards (my preference) will be couple inches low to the 50, then about 2 inches high most of the way to about 220 yards when comes back down to zero, holdover against low after that. Very little spread that way for "combat" accuracy if you ain't fightin' it out in a flat desert somewhere. ;)

If you're trying to shoot best precision target groups, you'll have to fine tune for exact distance like with any other shootin iron, and of course every ammo load is different anyway you figure things.

- OS

I seem to remember back in my Army Daze, having a "25 yard battle sight zero". I'll zero it at 50 and be happy with it. I'll do some varmint hunting with it and keep it around for defensive purposes.

Thanks for the info OS!

Dave

• Like 1

Congrats the ruger 556 is an awesome rifle.
Welcome to the house for wayward ar 15 owners. Were all divorced, stockholders in Magpul and pray at the lake city church located at 556 add on road. We're always late on child support when a new accessory comes out. The black soot from your rifle won't hurt the bedsheets, it will wash out.
Welcome aboard!

That's why I never got married or had kids.  I like having disposable income to spend on gun stuff among other perks.  :D

I fired it out back when I got it. It shoots really smooth and cycles faster than I can blink. Out of the box it shot just a tad high. My SIL whom has built several under the advice of Dolomite, checked it out and said the bolt seemed a little tight, but may be due to being new. I do not like the plastic Pmag magazines as I'm a old school M-16 kind of guy and like the metal mags. I ordered optics for it yesterday, and as soon as I get some "glass" on it, I'll share some target info with you.

Dave

If you want, you can PM me your address and I'll send you a few old school mags.  I'm phasing them out one at a time with P-Mags and can send some your way.  Consider it a welcome to the AR club present.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 2

If you want, you can PM me your address and I'll send you a few old school mags.  I'm phasing them out one at a time with P-Mags and can send some your way.  Consider it a welcome to the AR club present.

Yep. I have some USGI mags, but never use them. Pretty much all PMAGs, and Lancers for the calibers that PMAGS don't like. I will use GI mags in my A2, because it's all milspec.

Cracker will come around. He's just a little slow since he got blown up.  :rofl:

• Like 2

Yep. I have some USGI mags, but never use them. Pretty much all PMAGs, and Lancers for the calibers that PMAGS don't like. I will use GI mags in my A2, because it's all milspec.

Cracker will come around. He's just a little slow since he got blown up.  :rofl:

I don't know what I'd do without you Mike.....

Dave

Nice , they are like beers , the more you taste the more you buy. Is that a Ruger sticker on the barrel ? I hope you removed it before you dumped your first mag ! :)

Yes, I did. It was actually a plastic sleeve.

Dave

Dave i'd be interested to get a full report on it once you break it in well. I plan on getting myself one for Christmas and while building one sounds fun if I can get a good one at that price I'd rather do that.

I'll write up something later today. I'm going to shoot again after bit, so I'll have more to say then. Stay tuned!

Dave

Thanks Dave. Hopefully I can get my hands on one in a store.

I didn't get to shoot yesterday, will try again today. Brother LukeE gave me some info on Facebook and I was tracking down some tools for the AR. I found an Armorer's tool kit at Academy and picked one up. I got my single point sling adaptor attached and I really like it. I am having problems finding rings for the tactical scope I bought for it. I guess I'll carry the scope to the LGS and try different one's for proper fit. Everything I'm being sold fits the scope too loose. I can't have that nonsense! So, we shall try again today.

I can say that "out of the box" it appeared to shoot low. That may be due to my eyes. I moved the rear peep forward as far as it would go which obviously helped as I'm blowing coke cans to pieces right now. Other than moving the rear sight forward on the rail, I've not touched the sights.

My eyes are not good anymore so I need it scoped to hunt with. I bought a tactical (compact) rifle scope and it came with mounts. However, when mounted, I can't get my face down on the stock low enough to see through the scope, so I'm having to Raise the scope on the rail. Hence fore the problem. Every set of "high rise" mounts I get, the rings doesn't fit the scope. I have scoped more rifles than I can remember, but this is about to drive me nuts! I'll give it another shot today.

Wish me luck!

Dave

I didn't get to shoot yesterday, will try again today. Brother LukeE gave me some info on Facebook and I was tracking down some tools for the AR. I found an Armorer's tool kit at Academy and picked one up. I got my single point sling adaptor attached and I really like it. I am having problems finding rings for the tactical scope I bought for it. I guess I'll carry the scope to the LGS and try different one's for proper fit. Everything I'm being sold fits the scope too loose. I can't have that nonsense! So, we shall try again today.

I can say that "out of the box" it appeared to shoot low. That may be due to my eyes. I moved the rear peep forward as far as it would go which obviously helped as I'm blowing coke cans to pieces right now. Other than moving the rear sight forward on the rail, I've not touched the sights.

My eyes are not good anymore so I need it scoped to hunt with. I bought a tactical (compact) rifle scope and it came with mounts. However, when mounted, I can't get my face down on the stock low enough to see through the scope, so I'm having to Raise the scope on the rail. Hence fore the problem. Every set of "high rise" mounts I get, the rings doesn't fit the scope. I have scoped more rifles than I can remember, but this is about to drive me nuts! I'll give it another shot today.

Wish me luck!

Dave

I'd say you have a unique problem!  :pleased:  Most folks can't get the scope low enough when getting a good cheek weld. I decided to go ahead and "build" one from PSA parts but I'm still interested to see how this one turns out. I think most everyone else is too. Good luck!

• Like 1

Wish me luck!

Dave

Here's the thing... Since there's no drop in the stock like a regular rifle, the center of the optic (height) winds up 2.5 inches above the bore. So, unlike a standard rifle, you don't just mount the scope as low as you can get it. The Burris PEPR is the right height.

With the iron sights, to adjust elevation with the height of the front sight post, and windage on the rear sight. 

• Like 1

Everything I'm being sold fits the scope too loose.

If we're talking conventional scopes, you must be getting 30mm rings instead of 1 inch, which your scope seems to be.

....I moved the rear peep forward as far as it would go which obviously helped as I'm blowing coke cans to pieces right now. Other than moving the rear sight forward on the rail, I've not touched the sights.

Generally the wrong way to go .. longer the sight radius the easier on the shooter. You simply need to adjust your iron sights correctly, as Gideon says: front sight is for elevation, turn it lower (clockwise) to raise point of impact. AR sight tool easiest way.  Rear sight is for left/right windage. Again, I would suggest 50 yard zero as best all around option -- that will indeed make your closer shots a bit low, but easy to compensate for that distance, and from 50 to 225 yards or so is much closer than a 25 yard zero:

AR15zerochart.jpg

As far as height with conventional scopes, dunno what's going on there. Higher rise are generally what's needed, and they will be necessary to get your scope to clear folded down rear sight also. As Gideon also mentioned, the P.E.P.R. is a good choice. On the other hand, I have one rifle with cheap UTG high rings that do nicely also. In both cases, I use quick detach models, which have been fine.

PEPR mount:

PEPR.jpg

UTG high rings (they do just barely clear Magpul rear sight):

scopemount.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot