Obama-scare

NextExit

Just came back from the People's Republic (NY).  While driving thru PA, I heard a commercial for Obamacare.  I think they're using scare tactics to get more people enrolled.  I'm paraphrasing, but basically it said "You need to get in on open enrollment.  You cannot afford to go without insurance.  Do you want to lay in the hospital bed wondering if you have enough money?  One stay at the hospital can ruin you financially.  You could lose your home, your life savings and still pay the IRS a penalty.  Get enrolled now.  It IS affordable,  Call and let us help you make the right decision."  God, I'm scared.  I don't even live in PA and I was ready to call. :rolleyes:

While I am not a fan of the government being an competitor in the marketplace (or at least over-reaching to steer the market),... the commercial you heard just sounds like common marketing shtuff that we hear everyday for healthcare related products and services.

Everybody is counting dollars and trying to better the bottom line.  HHS is no different - they own the marketplace now and are still having a hard time hitting their numbers.  ouch.

I hope someone can and will point of the part of the Affordable Care Act that is affordable. I had a friend in SC that cursed Health insurance companies like they were dogs. he complained at his rates all the time and said he couldn't wait for Obama to get elected because he would fix things. Well like I said I had a friend. He no longer speaks to me as of about 4 months ago. I wrote him and asked him if he was able to get signed up on the ACA since his previous insurance company had dropped him from their plan. I cannot post his reply and what he called me but he sent me his quote on th ACA program. On his old plan he was paying $480.00 a month of him and wife and had a $500.00 deductible. His ACA plan cost him 540.00 per month for him and his wife and his deductible is $3500.00. i tried to warn him what was coming long before it happened and he didn't believe me. Now he won't even speak to me.

So with that said can someone please show me what part of the Affordable Care Act. I know some folks are getting monthly premiums under $100.00 but what good are they when they are followed up by a 4 or 5,000.00 deductible that you must pay before the plan kicks in and then in most case only pays 60% of the bills leaving you to pay the rest.................. :shrug: :shrug: 

A friend of mine is a business owner with maybe ten employees. He and his employees are on gov. Health Ins. /ACA.
He was complaining that costs went up on them by at least 20% this year, he's dreading what's going to happen next year.

The Gov. cant do anything efficient or cost effective.
The ACA is anything but affordable. It's just more liberalism on steroids.

It's affordable if you live in one of the 16(?) staes with state run exchanges and have a low paying part time job.  I think you get subsidized by the 1% :grouchy:

I think in time they'll determine this doesn't go far enough.  What about vision and dental insurance?  How about life insurance? (I'm sure there would be a cap on that and the government would take half)  And death insurance... we're all gonna die and funerals aren't cheap.  I have little faith the Republicans are gonna fix this but I'm holding out until the penalties are more than the premiums.  Only then will I :surrender:

• Like 1

You can still get good, affordable health insurance. You just have to find the insurance that does not meet ACA standards. I know my wife found insurance that was less than $100 a month with a low deductible and it paid 80% with no caps. Also had reasonable copays for office visits as well as CHEAP ER visits. When I was talking to the agent she said that my wife would have to pay the penalty for not having ACA compliant insurance. But because my wife does not work, she helps me, she would not have to pay the penalty because she has no income and does not file tax returns.

You just need to weigh the costs. If the non compliant insurance plus the "fee" is less I would jump on it. Heck, even if it were not cheaper I would because most non ACA compliant insurance seems a lot better. It is basically the same insurance as before the ACA became law.

I have yet to find a policy that is ACA compliant that pays more than 50% and is affordable. I knew when they made health insurance mandatory it would become more expensive like car insurance did when it became mandatory.

Just came back from the People's Republic (NY).  While driving thru PA, I heard a commercial for Obamacare.  I think they're using scare tactics to get more people enrolled.  I'm paraphrasing, but basically it said "You need to get in on open enrollment.  You cannot afford to go without insurance.  Do you want to lay in the hospital bed wondering if you have enough money?  One stay at the hospital can ruin you financially.  You could lose your home, your life savings and still pay the IRS a penalty.  Get enrolled now.  It IS affordable,  Call and let us help you make the right decision."  God, I'm scared.  I don't even live in PA and I was ready to call. :rolleyes:

That commercial is on the air here in Nashville.