Brian Setzer Orchestra

hipower

Anyone go this year?

Wifey and I went again this year.

Tonight's show was just absolutely fantastic.

That man can make sounds come out of a guitar that just amaze me every time I see him.

There's nothing quite like a live performance.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I just got off Amazon and E-bay. Ordered some more Brian Setzer stuff.

Found that it is very difficult to find video of a full concert. Lots of clips on FB, and a few older videos.

Now...what the hell am I doing up at this time of the morning????

Wife is going to club me with her pistol if I wake her going to bed.

Edited by hipower

My wife and I saw him with his Christmas show at the Ryman a few years back.  It was a great performance.  It's too bad the audience was filled with rude and inconsiderate people that took some of the shine off the experience.

Years ago, in an interview in Guitar Player Magazine, Brian referred to my Dad as "one of the founding fathers of rock 'n roll." I proudly showed that to him, and he just smiled and shrugged in his humble way. He always said, "I was just doing my job, not making history."

I had to go look it up. It was in 1983, the September issue.

Edited by Steelharp
  • Like 5
Mikey, I've got to get with you on that last post. I find that there's much more to you than I know, which is very little I admit, every time we talk or you post about music.

That's very sad Murgatroy. The rock-a-billy style is a uniquely American style of music. Even the teens of England adopted it, and seemingly still have a large number of fans for it there.

I pretty much was exposed to only the 50's Grand Ole Opry while a child, but had an older cousin that was a teen in the mid 50's.
I used to sneak back into his room and listen to all the "vile, satanic devil-music, rock'n'roll" that my parents and grandparents hated so much.

That gave me a fondness for 50's music to this day. The fusion of the swing/orchestral bands with the rock-a-billy has been one of the most awesome things musically for me.

Setzer is, at least according to some things I've read on him, pretty much acclaimed to be the driving force behind and "inventor/innovator" of the style.

Short answer is that I like it and him, but I lay claim to liking almost all types of music. But I guess this is where my roots are, so Country and Rock/rockabilly will always take first place.

And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Trans Siberian Orchestra either.

The wifey and I would like to see them live as well. Edited by hipower

Dang! Did not know BSO was touring in nashville! Does he come every year?

He has for the last 3 years at least. I missed the first. But last years show was just freaking awesome!!! Soooo much better than this year.

Not complaining, it was still good. Just saying this was less so.

I was mocked the other night in chat here when I made the confession that I love me some Rock-a-Billy music.

Cry baby :p

I seem to recall it was the lifestyle being mocked , NOT the music. :cool: There's a difference.

Mikey, I've got to get with you on that last post. I find that there's much more to you than I know, which is very little I admit, every time we talk or you post about music.That's very sad Murgatroy. The rock-a-billy style is a uniquely American style of music. Even the teens of England adopted it, and seemingly still have a large number of fans for it there.I pretty much was exposed to only the 50's Grand Ole Opry while a child, but had an older cousin that was a teen in the mid 50's.I used to sneak back into his room and listen to all the "vile, satanic devil-music, rock'n'roll" that my parents and grandparents hated so much.That gave me a fondness for 50's music to this day. The fusion of the swing/orchestral bands with the rock-a-billy has been one of the most awesome things musically for me.Setzer is, at least according to some things I've read on him, pretty much acclaimed to be the driving force behind and "inventor/innovator" of the style.Short answer is that I like it and him, but I lay claim to liking almost all types of music. But I guess this is where my roots are, so Country and Rock/rockabilly will always take first place.And there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Trans Siberian Orchestra either.The wifey and I would like to see them live as well.

If you haven't lately you should spend a day getting caught up on some if the rockabilly of the world sometime HP. Germany, Japan, England, of course the good old USA. There are some neat things happening. Also a thing now called phycobilly that's like a combination of rockabilly and harder rock styles.

Reverend Horton Heat is probably one of the better known these days and a hell of a player in his own right, kind of Setzeresque without being a trubute player if you will.

The Unknown Hinson is probably one of the funniest people I can think of in any music genre and again a hell of a player, but more of a western(like country AND western) slash goth kind of thing going. He looks like grandpa Munster too which is cool. Most of his stuff is NSFW in one way or another and not fit for polite company. He is funny though. Edited by TrickyNicky