Shipment of already-owned firearm from factory back to owner

superduty

Folks, I searched as best I could, but wasn't able to find what I was looking for-  Maybe one of you knows the answer to this question.

I own a handgun that I am considering shipping back to the factory for some minor repairs.

According to the rules and laws of the State of Tennessee, when the factory ships the firearm back to me after they are finished with it, do they have to ship it to an FFL, 

or can they ship it directly back to my home address?

Thanks-

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tricky....

Is that "IN" one day or one day, like, sometime in the future? 

:)

LOL, the later unfortunetly. They had a quick turn around, but I think it was still about 2 weeks or so. Just enough time to get it out of my head, then it was like a nice surprise when it showed up.

Even if a firearm is replaced with one with a new serial number, legal for manufacturer to ship the new one directly to you.

However,  at least a few won't, such as ATI when they replaced my OMNI AR15 lower, even though they admitted they could legally.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I had a Glock with a problem, Glock paid there and back, never went to a FFL.

Glock sent the shipping box and label, shipped it back when it was done.

It did have to be signed for when it got to the house.

Edited by RED333

Even if a firearm is replaced with one with a new serial number, legal for manufacturer to ship the new one directly to you.

However, at least a few won't, such as ATI when they replaced my OMNI AR15 lower, even though they admitted they could legally.

- OS

A few years ago S&W had to replace the frame on my 642 ( yes Virginia, revolvers do fail) and they would only go back through an FFL (D&T Arms in this case) and D&T made me do a background check too since they said it had a new serial number. I argued but they wouldn't back down.

Prior to that ATI replaced a rifle and it came straight back to me IIRC.

A few years ago S&W had to replace the frame on my 642 ( yes Virginia, revolvers do fail) and they would only go back through an FFL (D&T Arms in this case) and D&T made me do a background check too since they said it had a new serial number. I argued but they wouldn't back down.

Prior to that ATI replaced a rifle and it came straight back to me IIRC.

The deal with the ATI lower was that they would reimburse my FFL fee up to $25 after the fact. Just so happened that the FFL I was using at the time charged exactly that, but of course I would still have lost another $10 with the TICS. This was all about a year ago now I guess.

Even though the new lower was a different design (strengthened in some places, metal thread insert in buffer tub channel, etc), by then I was pretty disenchanted with the whole thing, wound up simply selling the thing to the FFL himself without ever doing 4473. I had only bought it back during the panic because regular lowers were going for outrageous prices when you could even get them at all.

ATI guy told me that yeah, they knew it was legal to send the new one directly to me but their "policy" was to use FFL anymore for lower replacement, couldn't give me the "reasoning" behind that decision, though.

- OS