R_Bert's TGO Build

is (at last)  mostly done & ready for testing (who knows if it will actually run... but finished QA & function testing tonight)

Needs optics installed, and adjusting of gas block.

Oh yeah... got to install the Giessele National Match DMR trigger post testing,

[url=http://s585.photobucket.com/user/HR_TR_2009/media/CIMG2398_zps43a37f39.jpg.html]CIMG2398_zps43a37f39.jpg[/URL]

[url=http://s585.photobucket.com/user/HR_TR_2009/media/CIMG2400_zpsc1d10301.jpg.html]CIMG2400_zpsc1d10301.jpg[/URL]

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 7

What grip is that? Larue? I've seen those quite a bit here lately. How do you like it so far compared the the feel of any of the Magpul grips and the Hogue?

That is a Blackhawk Ergo Grip.

Honestly, the only other grip I have ever handled on the range is a standard AR grip. So, I really can't compare (other then I like mine better).

• Like 1

I've been told that I'm an oddball, for many reasons, but I like the grips with finger grooves on almost everything.

Which is to say I like those.

They are much easier on arthritic hands. Which is my thing.

I've been told that I'm an oddball, for many reasons, but I like the grips with finger grooves on almost everything.

Which is to say I like those.

I have one AR with the Hogue grip and it has finger grooves, which like you say most don't like. I like it alot. All of the others have Magpul grips on them, the pistol lower has the K+ ( I think) the more vertical grip. Read a lot of people said the more vertical grip would be more comfortable on a pistol AR. But, I still think the Hogue is my favorite, but I like the looks of the grip on R_Bert's so I may give one of them a shot on my next build.

R_Bert I really like that handguard as well!

Edited by rugerla1

I have one AR with the Hogue grip and it has finger grooves, which like you say most don't like. I like it alot. All of the others have Magpul grips on them, the pistol lower has the K+ ( I think) the more vertical grip. Read a lot of people said the more vertical grip would be more comfortable on a pistol AR. But, I still think the Hogue is my favorite, but I like the looks of the grip on R_Bert's so I may give one of them a shot on my next build.

R_Bert I really like that handguard as well!

Hand-guard is a UTG (boo-hiss) PRO Super Slim  MTU019SS (15").  I really like the barrel nut & wrench (that they supply).

Edited by R_Bert

Hand-guard is a UTG (boo-hiss) PRO Super Slim  MTU019SS (15").  I really like the barrel nut & wrench (that they supply).

Really? That is unusual, I haven't seen very much from UTG that I've like in the past. I'll have to go back and look again.

Especially if they supply tools with the guard.
  • Like 1
The UTG pro is super sweet IMO. I have one on my TGO set as well and the lines really blend well from the milled upper to the handguard. They are worth more than they're selling for IMO. That reminds me, I need to take pics and share them with you all yet...

Great build R-Bert looks like it will be a fine shooter! :up:
  • Like 1

Really? That is unusual, I haven't seen very much from UTG that I've like in the past. I'll have to go back and look again.

A lot of UTG stuff has really come up to snuff in the last years. I've got some decent cases, QD riser stuff, AK side mount rails, high rise scope rings, dunno what all on various guns, all been fine.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it plays.

Finally got around to testing the TGO .204 and adjusted the gas block today.  Actually, I ran it down two notches, then put it back where I had estimated to begin with (# 4 of 15).  Really runs sweet, and I really like that SLR Rifleworks gas block.

This one has about 1/10th the recoil of my .204 Howa bolt gun. 

But in typical Bert fashion, I switched from factory ammo to some of my reloads.....  and promptly hung one in the chamber BIG TIME.

Fixed now, but daaaang.  That chamber is tight tolerance.  The Howa is very finicky, but I'll have to run a small-base sizing die on this one.

looks good, i like the ace and utg guard, how much does it weigh?

13.4 oz. for the 15" model hand-guard, 9 oz for the Ace hand-guard. Empty, the gun is ~7 lbs. I think it will be about 8.5lbs by the time I put the rings, scope, and rounds in it. (I'll weigh it more accurately when done).  It handles well with the short stock, but is not light (which is fine.. almost no recoil.)

The hand-guard is back on sale for $109

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-4-15-rifle-15in-super-slim-float-handguard.html

13.4 oz. for the 15" model hand-guard, 9 oz for the Ace hand-guard. Empty, the gun is ~7 lbs. I think it will be about 8.5lbs by the time I put the rings, scope, and rounds in it. (I'll weigh it more accurately when done).  It handles well with the short stock, but is not light (which is fine.. almost no recoil.)

The hand-guard is back on sale for $109

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leapers-utg-pro-4-15-rifle-15in-super-slim-float-handguard.html

Thanks, just ordered one!!

• Like 1

That looks really well done. I like the stock but need to show my ignorance. Is it fixed? I have seen them before, but yours really caught my attention. I think it is the over all asthetics of the rifle itself.

Well done.

Thank you for the nice complements.

Yes, It is an Ace ARFX E Skeleton Stock, fixed, 7" Entry version.  http://riflestocks.com/store/product94.html (I got it on Black Friday sale).

Edited by R_Bert