3-Year-Old Shoots Dad, and Pregnant Mom

Ron_TN

Just when you think you heard it all.

A 3-year-old boy shot his father and pregnant mother inside a New Mexico motel room, police said Sunday. Both parents are recovering. The Albuquerque Police Department said in a statement that it appears the toddler managed to take a handgun out of his mother's purse and fire one shot in the America's Best Value Inn on Saturday afternoon.

The bullet hit the father in the buttock, exited the man's hip and then struck the toddler's mother in the shoulder, according to police. The mother, who is eight months pregnant, is hospitalized in stable condition and the father has been treated and released, police added.

Justin Reynolds said he and his girlfriend, Monique Villescas, were getting ready to order pizza when he heard a gun go off. "The next minute I realized my girlfriend was bleeding," he told NBC News station KOB. "Then I sat down and realized I was shot too." Reynolds said he immediately called 911 and grabbed towels to try to stop Villescas' bleeding.

"I just took action right away," he told KOB. "I was more worried about my girlfriend than myself and anything else that was going on. And my son because I didn't know if he had shot himself or not. He was shocked and crying. It was traumatizing." Reynolds added that he was grateful his Villescas' two-year-old daughter - who had been sitting her to her mother at the time - was not injured.

The Albuquerque Police Department said both children have been placed on a 48-hour hold. The case will be forwarded to the district attorney's office and the parents could face negligence charges, the force added

Edited by Ron_TN

What is up with women carrying their guns in their purses? That is the worst place to carry a firearm because that is what the bad guy wants, the purse. And I suspect they are carrying them without a holster, or something to cover the trigger, which is almost equally stupid.

The left seems to be picking up on these events and it will be used for the next "for the children" legislation.

I was watching Nancy Grace the other day as she talked about the 5 year old who killed his 9 month old brother using their grandfather's handgun. She said that every time something like this happens EVERY person who owns a gun should be forced to pay. Then another commenter, who seemed to be a real dingbat, said the 5 year old should be punished to the full extent the law allows.

• Like 1

What is up with women carrying their guns in their purses? That is the worst place to carry a firearm because that is what the bad guy wants, the purse. And I suspect they are carrying them without a holster, or something to cover the trigger, which is almost equally stupid.

The left seems to be picking up on these events and it will be used for the next "for the children" legislation.

I was watching Nancy Grace the other day as she talked about the 5 year old who killed his 9 month old brother using their grandfather's handgun. She said that every time something like this happens EVERY person who owns a gun should be forced to pay. Then another commenter, who seemed to be a real dingbat, said the 5 year old should be punished to the full extent the law allows.

Every person does pay when something like this happens. These are reckless preventable incidents that lead to death. Legislation comes about because some gun owners are too stupid to treat a deadly weapon with respect. You see it on here all the time, gun owners saying that a gun can’t fire without pulling the trigger; nothing is farther from the truth. But if you are following the safety rules it won’t shoot someone if it does.

Allowing a small child access to a loaded weapon is reckless. In this case the reckless parties got shot; but it usually doesn’t happen that way.

The left seems to be picking up on these events and it will be used for the next "for the children" legislation.

Shouldn't the parents be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law? I am sure there are dozens of federal, state and local laws on the books which address minors and access to firearms.

Yes, mom and dad got shot, but if they obeyed many of the "gun safety laws" it's through their negligence that they got shot.

Cool, now I'm using liberal logic which requires no thought or mental prowess!

Every person does pay when something like this happens. These are reckless preventable incidents that lead to death. Legislation comes about because some gun owners are too stupid to treat a deadly weapon with respect. You see it on here all the time, gun owners saying that a gun can’t fire without pulling the trigger; nothing is farther from the truth. But if you are following the safety rules it won’t shoot someone if it does.

Allowing a small child access to a loaded weapon is reckless. In this case the reckless parties got shot; but it usually doesn’t happen that way.

Agreed: gun safety rules are redundant by design so if you follow them all, they tend to prevent incidents.   But there is absolutely no safety that can be taught to a kid under a certain age (varies a little from kid to kid, but under 6 is exponentially risky as age decreases).   The only safety is prevent access to it.

I have never seen a modern, functioning, unmodified,  and properly cared for gun go off when the trigger was not pulled.   Ever.   And the number of actual incidents where it "just went off" can probably be counted on one hand over the course of a year, including antiques that have known defects that allow drop-fire or other mishaps.  The majority of "it just went off" derps are caused by a trigger pull and the idiot is lying about it to the cops.

Agreed: gun safety rules are redundant by design so if you follow them all, they tend to prevent incidents.   But there is absolutely no safety that can be taught to a kid under a certain age (varies a little from kid to kid, but under 6 is exponentially risky as age decreases).   The only safety is prevent access to it.

I have never seen a modern, functioning, unmodified,  and properly cared for gun go off when the trigger was not pulled.   Ever.   And the number of actual incidents where it "just went off" can probably be counted on one hand over the course of a year, including antiques that have known defects that allow drop-fire or other mishaps.  The majority of "it just went off" derps are caused by a trigger pull and the idiot is lying about it to the cops.

If you have never seen a gun go off without pulling the trigger; you have never seen a slam fire. Grabbing a gun when it is dropped or something hitting or getting caught in the trigger also happens. You can blame that on the handler; but it’s not an intentional trigger pull. They are mechanical devices and all mechanical devices can fail. If the muzzle isn’t pointed at a person while handling; the weapon can fire without killing someone.

Many of the shootings are people who consider themselves well trained, but have become complacent and don’t think a gun can fire unless they intentionally pull the trigger. Couple that with Bubba doing an “action job” or installing components he is clueless about and you can has a recipe for disaster.

the few slam fires I have seen were questionable...  was finger on trigger when slide let go?   Im not sure I have seen one from slide alone.  I wont say its impossible, but no, I have not seen one that I am 100% sure was triggerless.   I am not one of those who has to see it in person to believe it happens, but its not common.  Ive seen countless thousands of slide racks.

The rest of those don't count for functioning, modern, unmodified, and no trigger pulled. 

Edited by Jonnin

the few slam fires I have seen were questionable...  was finger on trigger when slide let go?   Im not sure I have seen one from slide alone.  I wont say its impossible, but no, I have not seen one that I am 100% sure was triggerless.   I am not one of those who has to see it in person to believe it happens, but its not common.  Ive seen countless thousands of slide racks.

The rest of those don't count for functioning, modern, unmodified, and no trigger pulled. 

I have had one slam fire with no trigger in the trigger guard. It was a Saiga shotgun and I was dropping rounds in the chamber one at a time. I dropped the bolt and boom. Then I researched and there are warning about doing that exact thing. So I would also say the operators might want to learn about their gun because I had no clue until I had the slam fire. Luckily it was pointed in a safe direction but it did scare the crap out of me.

• Like 1

I do not know  if i can  even feel sorry for the people who get shot anymore.. you put a gun in the purse with small kids around..what do you expect? Kids are kids..

These people need to be punished for being so stupid

They were punished.  First by being shot.   Then later child services will see if they are fit to have kids.  A bit later they might lose their carry permits or something for a period.   After all the stuff settles they will either sell all their guns and never fool with it again ( a pity, but, maybe for the best) or they will never, ever forget that day.

They were punished.  First by being shot.   Then later child services will see if they are fit to have kids.  A bit later they might lose their carry permits or something for a period.   After all the stuff settles they will either sell all their guns and never fool with it again ( a pity, but, maybe for the best) or they will never, ever forget that day.

Good..I hope they take the kids away permanently...That's punishment...