Cheap rifle, heavier than .22?

Guest Goopus

I like the .357 and .44 as i can use ammo in pistol or rifle.

I totally agree.  Just saying the topic is about being frugal ... you can get a used 30-30 lever for like $250 or something,  and with 44 running close to a dollar every shot...   

I'm still thinking about when I bought my Marlin 336,30-30 back in the day for $230.....

Marlin 336 W (non-walnut) remains quite inexpensive and available, still sells new well under MSRP at $375 or less at Wally, Academy, etc. Even the .44 isn't gouged too badly for the most part. But the .357 is far and away more in demand than any other lever gun caliber, has been for a long time now.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Marlin 336 W (non-walnut) remains quite inexpensive and available, still sells new well under MSRP at $375 or less at Wally, Academy, etc. Even the .44 isn't gouged too badly for the most part. But the .357 is far and away more in demand than any other lever gun caliber, has been for a long time now.

- OS

You would think Marlin, Winchester, and some others would make or start making more if there's a market for them. I know a 158 grain bullet from a .357 revolver 4" barrel can produce about 1300 to 1400 fps out the muzzel, wonder what the velocity of the same bullet comming out an 18" or 20" barrell and what the perfect barrell length is. I would load the heavier bullets in a lever carbine, at short range it should be a pretty effective gun. Then you could have a nice GP-100 on your side loaded with the same ammo.  :)

That's it, Ruger needs to make a lever gun, you know it would be a robust gun of excellant quality.

• Like 1
Guest Goopus

Get an AR while their cheap , you have to have one anyways so get it over with. :)

Looking forward to your what do I get for my third gun thread ..... :)

Haha thanks man, I'm still not sure on the second one yet but I'm not buying it yet anyways so I got time. I'll buy whichever it ends up being as a birthday present to myself in April or something.

That's it, Ruger needs to make a lever gun, you know it would be a robust gun of excellant quality.

Ruger made a lever gun before in .44mag. The 96/44. It was so fugly nobody bought it. A lever action carbine is one of those things that really needs to be traditional to be successful.
  • Like 1

Ruger made a lever gun before in .44mag. The 96/44. It was so fugly nobody bought it. A lever action carbine is one of those things that really needs to be traditional to be successful.

Yea I saw that, I wouldn't buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest a H&R Handy Rifle in .223. It is a single shot. I believe when I bought mine new it was around $200. .223 is fairly cheap when bought in bulk and is the next step up from a .22 even though it is much more powerful.

Btw, looks like H&R has, or will be, ending production of all single shot rifles and shotguns. Supposedly the barrel program actually ended some time ago, even though website shows nothing about any of this.

- OS

• Like 1

Btw, looks like H&R has, or will be, ending production of all single shot rifles and shotguns. Supposedly the barrel program actually ended some time ago, even though website shows nothing about any of this.

- OS

What on earth are they going to make then?  .32 Long pocket rockets?

What on earth are they going to make then?  .32 Long pocket rockets?

Probably nothing, just keep being the conduit for the Pardner Pump models if that's still advantageous I guess. Maybe they can spin it off to someone else or something, who knows.

Btw, there is no official announcement of this, but so far seems valid from various info you can ferret out.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I think a Mosin 1891/30 makes a good home defense rifle. You can hide in the closet in a back bedroom and skewer the invader when they come in the front door. Or pig-stick the guy in your neighbor's house from your kitchen window. :)

Seriously though, cheap to buy and cheap to shoot can be two different things. .223 and 7.62x39 ammo are about the cheapest centerfire cartridges around without getting into something obscure and/or hard to find. It's possible (when the ATF doesn't use the b-a-n word) to find steel-cased in those calibers for around 20 cents each if you can buy in bulk. .308 is going to be closer to 50 cents and 30-30 is north of 60 cents.

Personally, I think the SKS prices are crazy right now and have been for a while. You can get an AK fir just a few bucks more, but then again, you can get an AR for about the price of an AK these days. AR prices are scraping the bottom. If you can swing one, now's a good time to do it. I've seen the Smith&Wesson M&P Sport AR-15 as low as about $525 lately.