Cheap rifle, heavier than .22?

Guest Goopus

You seem to be pretty level headed and are getting  a lot of good feedback. The best advice I have to offer is to do a little shooting first and then decide what would be best for you. As I really enjoy introducing people to firearms, I would be willing to let you shoot some of my rifles to give you some experience. I am not very far from you and would be happy to let you come by and shoot a few. I have a mosin, ar, 30-30 Winchester model 94, 30-06 handi rifle, and probably a few others that I am forgetting. Let me know if you are interested. 

Hey thank you for the offer! I'd like to do that some time. I actually don't really drive that much at the moment or I'd be all over it. That's very nice of you though, thanks!

Everyone should own an AR imo, and there's never been a better time price wise to get into one. You mentioned "home defense if possible", I'm not seeing any options other than the Hipoint carbine mentioned that would double in that role. Trust me when I say you could do much worse than a hipoint carbine

I guess I'll have to look into it then, thank you! An AR would definitely be something I'd be proud to own too. It's a tough choice because you've all presented such good options. I'll have to sit down and pick one soon I guess.

I know you said "cheap rifle", but since you say you're looking for your second gun, I take it you don't have a shotgun.? That seems to fit much of your criteria as well. Just a thought

That's true, I don't have one and never really thought about getting a shotgun but the idea does seem to fit and I'm sure it'd be much easier to find a pretty cheap shotgun that's fun to shoot with friends and acceptable for home defense as well.

It is. We're also helpful. Get over being butthurt - you asked a vague question.

I've been nothing but polite and eager to learn to and from everyone here except you and that other guy and the common theme is you spoke out of line for little to no reason. My 'vague question' has been answered satisfactorily after I elaborated and the issue was over until you brought it up again.

Surprised nobody has recommended a SKS. Ammo can be had for $5-6 per 20. Hunting ammo available too. Plenty good for home defense and has "history". Guns are running $250-300 and 1k of ammo still can be had around $220. 7.62x39 been doing serious work for some time and isn't going anywhere.

Edit: $10 per 100 ain't gonna happen anymore unless bought in bulk online. 9mm is the closest you'll come.

That still sounds very reasonable! The SKS is definitely one of the ones I've already been looking at. Thank you!

Edited by Goopus

Your price range opens up a lot of options in the shotgun world.  One not to be passed up is a Remington 870.  Shot guns are a lot of fun to shoot recreationaly and they are hard to beat for a home defense weapon.  To make it even more versatile you can pick up a 18" barrel for well under $100 an have a really nice HD gun or scatter gun.  Also you can shoot, birdshot, which is cheap, buckshot, or slugs.  you can have a lot of fun playing around with buckshot and slugs.  If you decide to go the rifle route really look into that Hi Point Carbine again, I'd suggest in 9mm because that is the caliber that will have the cheapest ammo.  Not saying that is what you should buy, you decide that.  But it seems like it would fit your needs well.  I know Hi Point gets a bad name but I have yet to talk to anyone that had one that didn't like it for what it was, let's face it a cheap gun that has issues is just a piece of junk, while a high dollar gun that has issues "just needs a little tweaking" or so they say anyways.  Good luck in your search.   

Your price range opens up a lot of options in the shotgun world.  One not to be passed up is a Remington 870.  Shot guns are a lot of fun to shoot recreationaly and they are hard to beat for a home defense weapon.  To make it even more versatile you can pick up a 18" barrel for well under $100 an have a really nice HD gun or scatter gun.  Also you can shoot, birdshot, which is cheap, buckshot, or slugs.  you can have a lot of fun playing around with buckshot and slugs.  If you decide to go the rifle route really look into that Hi Point Carbine again, I'd suggest in 9mm because that is the caliber that will have the cheapest ammo.  Not saying that is what you should buy, you decide that.  But it seems like it would fit your needs well.  I know Hi Point gets a bad name but I have yet to talk to anyone that had one that didn't like it for what it was, let's face it a cheap gun that has issues is just a piece of junk, while a high dollar gun that has issues "just needs a little tweaking" or so they say anyways.  Good luck in your search.   

Thank you very much for the thorough advice. I like the Hi-Point for its history too and 9mm would be a good fit for me I think. A shotgun would be intriguing. I haven't fired those very often but I like their power. I'll look into the 870!

I find this thread comical.  You talk about getting your second gun, but let's be honest, you just jumped into one of the most addicting hobbies out there.  You might as well just make a list and start saving your pennies.  The only thing you really "need" after you get your second gun will be your third gun, then your fourth, then... 

Good luck with your search, I'm not even going to suggest a gun. If I had to pick my "second gun," I have no idea what I would choose.  Hell, I have a hard time choosing my umpteenth gun.  Have fun with it and be safe. 

• Like 1

I know you asked about a 2nd rifle but I'm going to go with 10-ring on this one. After a good utility .22 I think a 12 gauge shotgun is one of the most versatile guns out there. I'm a fan of the 870 but would not be embarrassed to own a Mossberg 500. If recoil is an issue there are low recoil rounds until you get used to it. You can shoot fairly cheap shells when just out having fun.

A shotgun like the 870 can be used for pretty much any form of hunting, personal defense - especially in a house, fun stuff like clay targets in the back yard (assuming you don't live in the city) and just shooting cans and stuff. It is kind of the swiss army knife of guns in my opinion.

An AR would be a close 3rd to me. I was late to the AR world but really have had a blast with them...

However, I still think a good pump shotgun should be in everyone's house. Before you decide on buying anything keep hanging around here and make some friends. Gun folks can be crotchety at times but I've never known any life long gun guys that didn't like taking new folks under their wing to let them shoot a bit. Make a few friends and when you get asked to go shooting with them ask what kind of ammo they prefer and show up with a box for yourself.

Good luck and have fun, Mark

I was trying to help, not offend.  You don't have to know anything at all but we have to know what you really want to help..

$500 gets a lot of gun, cheap for a rifle often means 200 and under.  You can get ... almost any sort of rifle with that, really, if used is ok.  

History and home defense...  sks is sounding really good.   I have trouble recommending a bolt action for defense.  Lever actions can be learned and shot rapidly, bolts while walking around are difficult.  Rifle inside the home ... be sure what you get fits around corners; mosin and deer rifles like the rem might be a tight fit.  Even the sk in some homes might be a struggle, others, not bad, depends.  An AK or AR works too, same idea.   Dunno what a historical means here, the history/war guns would be full auto and not an option here.

I was trying to help, not offend.  You don't have to know anything at all but we have to know what you really want to help..

$500 gets a lot of gun, cheap for a rifle often means 200 and under.  You can get ... almost any sort of rifle with that, really, if used is ok.  

History and home defense...  sks is sounding really good.   I have trouble recommending a bolt action for defense.  Lever actions can be learned and shot rapidly, bolts while walking around are difficult.  Rifle inside the home ... be sure what you get fits around corners; mosin and deer rifles like the rem might be a tight fit.  Even the sk in some homes might be a struggle, others, not bad, depends.  An AK or AR works too, same idea.   Dunno what a historical means here, the history/war guns would be full auto and not an option here.

Depends on which war you are referring to ...

I know you asked about a 2nd rifle but I'm going to go with 10-ring on this one. After a good utility .22 I think a 12 gauge shotgun is one of the most versatile guns out there. I'm a fan of the 870 but would not be embarrassed to own a Mossberg 500. If recoil is an issue there are low recoil rounds until you get used to it. You can shoot fairly cheap shells when just out having fun.

A shotgun like the 870 can be used for pretty much any form of hunting, personal defense - especially in a house, fun stuff like clay targets in the back yard (assuming you don't live in the city) and just shooting cans and stuff. It is kind of the swiss army knife of guns in my opinion.

An AR would be a close 3rd to me. I was late to the AR world but really have had a blast with them...

However, I still think a good pump shotgun should be in everyone's house. Before you decide on buying anything keep hanging around here and make some friends. Gun folks can be crotchety at times but I've never known any life long gun guys that didn't like taking new folks under their wing to let them shoot a bit. Make a few friends and when you get asked to go shooting with them ask what kind of ammo they prefer and show up with a box for yourself.

Good luck and have fun, Mark

Solid advice! Thank you.

Just save up a few more shekels and get a new $500-600 AR or AK and be done with that part sooner rather than later. Seriously.

- OS

I might do that although the Hi-Point, 870 and AR are all looking good to me at this point. Thanks man!

I find this thread comical.  You talk about getting your second gun, but let's be honest, you just jumped into one of the most addicting hobbies out there.  You might as well just make a list and start saving your pennies.  The only thing you really "need" after you get your second gun will be your third gun, then your fourth, then... 

Good luck with your search, I'm not even going to suggest a gun. If I had to pick my "second gun," I have no idea what I would choose.  Hell, I have a hard time choosing my umpteenth gun.  Have fun with it and be safe. 

Haha you're right man, no matter what I buy most of the suggestions in this thread will go on a list as the third or fourth or fifth gun and so on lol. I am already addicted for sure!

I just have to ask what you have heard concerning the history of the Hi Point?

It was a classless weak comment about the use of the Hi-Point in the Columbine shootings. My buddy owns a Tec-9 and it's always kinda weird shooting it because of the history and I suppose that's what I meant about the Hi-Point, it would stick out to me for that reason.

Did not know that a Hi Point was used at Columbine.  Doesn't bother me a bit, among other guns I own Glocks, a 1911, and a couple of Mosins.  No telling how many lives have been taken by those models, not to mention the Mosins that I own could have been used to take lives.  It's just a tool though.  Personally I don't get wrapped up in that stuff.

Since you are in Cookeville go down to Bend of the River and talk to Charlie, provided the facility is still open and Charlie is still there.  I haven't been there in years but that is my favorite range of all time, not the fanciest by any means but if you buddy up with Charlie he will do anything in the world to help you.  Back when I lived up there I used to shoot skeet at Bend of the River, it was stress relief.  I was the only one in my skeet group that showed up one cold and snowy morning and Charlie went out and ran the shooting houses for me so I could get my skeet round in.  He also taught me how to zero a scope using about 2 bullets and gave me a wealth of other knowledge.  He's just a retired guy that own a range and has the heart of a teacher.

Did not know that a Hi Point was used at Columbine.  Doesn't bother me a bit, among other guns I own Glocks, a 1911, and a couple of Mosins.  No telling how many lives have been taken by those models, not to mention the Mosins that I own could have been used to take lives.  It's just a tool though.  Personally I don't get wrapped up in that stuff.

Since you are in Cookeville go down to Bend of the River and talk to Charlie, provided the facility is still open and Charlie is still there.  I haven't been there in years but that is my favorite range of all time, not the fanciest by any means but if you buddy up with Charlie he will do anything in the world to help you.  Back when I lived up there I used to shoot skeet at Bend of the River, it was stress relief.  I was the only one in my skeet group that showed up one cold and snowy morning and Charlie went out and ran the shooting houses for me so I could get my skeet round in.  He also taught me how to zero a scope using about 2 bullets and gave me a wealth of other knowledge.  He's just a retired guy that own a range and has the heart of a teacher.

Thanks man, it looks like it is still open and it looks like Charlie's still there so I will definitely put that down as my go-to range!

There's a whole list of guns I would like to have but I have had a hankering for a lever gun in .38/.357. I believe .38 is still inexpensive for target, plinking and small varments, I bet you get the maximum out of .357's out of it, I have heard that taking a deer at a close range is not out of the question with a .357 lever gun. Also if you have a good .357 revolver you have ammo for both. Just don't know how much the gun itself would cost.

Edit: DAAANG, I just looked on Gun Broker and Marlins and Winchesters in .38/.357 are pricey, I thought they might be no more than $400ish but most are asking $900 to $1500 for them. May have to wait for a while on one of those.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

There's a whole list of guns I would like to have but I have had a hankering for a lever gun in .38/.357. I believe .38 is still inexpensive for target, plinking and small varments, I bet you get the maximum out of .357's out of it, I have heard that taking a deer at a close range is not out of the question with a .357 lever gun. Also if you have a good .357 revolver you have ammo for both. Just don't know how much the gun itself would cost.

Edit: DAAANG, I just looked on Gun Broker and Marlins and Winchesters in .38/.357 are pricey, I thought they might be no more than $400ish but most are asking $900 to $1500 for them. May have to wait for a while on one of those.

Wow, they are pricey.

Rossi makes a less expensive one around $500ish
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56502/Rossi+357+Magnum+Lever+Action+w16%22+Round+Blue+BarrelWalnut
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/56487/Rossi+357+Mag+Lever+Action+w24%22+Octagon+Blue+BarrelWalnut

Yep, demand has overridden MSRP by far on those .357 lever guns for many years now.

By sheer luck, I scored my Marlin at a WalMart for $485 about 4 years ago.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Yep, demand has overridden MSRP by far on those .357 lever guns for many years now.

By sheer luck, I scored my Marlin at a WalMart for $485 about 4 years ago.

- OS

I'm still thinking about when I bought my Marlin 336,30-30 back in the day for $230. I knew prices are more on lever guns but didn't imagine that much. Also didn't realize the .38/.357 calibers were that sought after to make them that expensive. What about the .44special/.44magnum lever gun?

I'm hoping Rossi's are better quality than they were back when they were imported by Interarms, that's the last time I bought a Rossi. They wern't in the cheapo class but they definatly wern't in the S&W class either as far as their revolvers go. They did however have one of the best trigger actions I have ever experienced on a D.A. revolver, better than a S&W 66 I once owned and much better than my Ruger SP101. I have heard some decent reviews on some of their newer firearms.