Helmet Law

Ugly

Same here, I don't ride anymore, used to though. Helmet laws and seatbelt laws should not be on the books. They are only to generate revenue.

Where I used to work, you had to have a clean driving record for our department and they checked it every year. One guy who was a a great worker, had moved here from another state that didn't have a helmet law and he didn't know TN had one. He got pulled over and got a ticket for it. Then before he could get to the shop to buy a helmet he got pulled over again and they gave him another ticket for it. And technically they are considered moving violations. It was enough to have him transfer out of our department to a much lower paying job.

I am surprised the first officer let him drive off with out a helmet.  Last year a guy I work with got pulled over on his bike for out of date tags and they would not let him leave the scene. Told him to have it towed and his dad came with a trailer and they loaded up the bike.  Drove over to the license place, re tagged it and then drove to work.  The officer waited with him beside the road until his dad showed up with the trailer.  (BTW, this was not a young kid, he is about 35).

Ya Know what an ER Nurse calls some who rides without a helmet

Organ Donor,
after 20yrs of patching people back together, the worst is those that did not have their helmets on. A Lid will always cover my top side, heck I don't even like riding in compact cars

Other states have repealed helmet laws on the premise that they are losing tourism revenue.  I know there are many baby boomer motorcyclists with expendable income.  Many avoid Tennessee and other states with helmet laws.  Hotels, Restaurants all get business from bikers on vacation...maybe they should take that approach in their argument.

http://www.abateofmichigan.org/Michigan%27sHelmetChoiceLaw.htm

Edited by KaNaPaPi
  • Like 1

Unfortunately; Helmet laws are needed to protect people from themselves. I know around this town with all the young people from Fort Campbell acting like total a*** on "crotch rockets", they have to have helmet laws to protect themselves as most can't make informed decisions for themselves. I don't ride anymore, but if I did, I'm wear a helmet and all the protective available to me!!!! These guys that are hitting the rear end of a car at 70mph in a 45 zone isn't going to fair well helmet or not. However, a helmet may help keep your brains where they belong instead of allover everything.

Peace out Brothers...

Dave

• Like 1

I have three modern full face helmets. They do interfere.

I agree about the insurance. As long as it's the same with the car, why am I paying more for other peoples accidents?

Because that's how insurance works. You are put into a pool of people who share similar demographics and either benefit or are punished from the behavior of others like you. That's why, as you get older, your premiums decrease. 

I am surprised the first officer let him drive off with out a helmet.  Last year a guy I work with got pulled over on his bike for out of date tags and they would not let him leave the scene. Told him to have it towed and his dad came with a trailer and they loaded up the bike.  Drove over to the license place, re tagged it and then drove to work.  The officer waited with him beside the road until his dad showed up with the trailer.  (BTW, this was not a young kid, he is about 35).

This seems like an a-hole move. You don't have to have your car towed because the tags are out of date. Why should it be any different for a bike? 

Unfortunately; Helmet laws are needed to protect people from themselves. I know around this town with all the young people from Fort Campbell acting like total a*** on "crotch rockets", they have to have helmet laws to protect themselves as most can't make informed decisions for themselves. I don't ride anymore, but if I did, I'm wear a helmet and all the protective available to me!!!! These guys that are hitting the rear end of a car at 70mph in a 45 zone isn't going to fair well helmet or not. However, a helmet may help keep your brains where they belong instead of allover everything.

Peace out Brothers...

Dave

Yea, gun control laws are there to protect us from ourselves too. I am perfectly fine taking care of myself, thanks. 

• Like 3

Because that's how insurance works. You are put into a pool of people who share similar demographics and either benefit or are punished from the behavior of others like you. That's why, as you get older, your premiums decrease. 

This seems like an a-hole move. You don't have to have your car towed because the tags are out of date. Why should it be any different for a bike? 

Yea, gun control laws are there to protect us from ourselves too. I am perfectly fine taking care of myself, thanks. 

Yes sir, you are very capable of taking care of yourself. Laws are for those who can't, or who refuse to take care of themselves. It doesn't bother me one way or another if we have helmet laws or not. No skin off my noggin. But those that speed in and out of traffic weaving in, between and around cars at a high rate of speed are the ones that should be thankful we have helmet laws. Fort Campbell's bike regs would blow y'alls minds; Long sleeves, long pants, helmets, eye protection, leather boots and an orange or green safety vest or shoulder sash. And a "required" Motorcycle safety course (a waste of time) offered on post prior to getting permitted to ride on post.

Dave

On the car topic... I do question whether cars would be as safe (and expensive) as they currently are without all the regulations.  My guess is no. 

My guess is there's no way to tell but we might be surprised. Government nearly always makes a ham-fisted job of what they're up to.

I wonder if an "under 21" clause would have helped this along. I know everyone's worried about "young Jimmy" and American seems to be constantly infantilizing people so perhaps that would have been enough and allowing that people over 21 are damn sure able to make their own decisions would play better.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1

Well, first off why would the law not apply to TennCare people?

Increased risk = increased insurance.  If half your brain ends up on the highway then medical costs increase as does what the insurance bastards have to pay out.

If half your brains are on the highway, I think the medical costs will be minimal (though probably not nonexistent)

• Like 1

Pretty much, I was a traffic investigator in a state that did not require helmets. I have worked some pretty gruesome car and motorcycle wrecks that also become ugly court cases. It was also a no-fault state; I can not image the craziness with the way insurance is in TN.

While I believe in freedom, You are utilizing local, state, and federally funded roads. When the police have to detour traffic and spend hours upon hours investigating a wreck that has become serious because of the lack of safety equipment like helmets and seatbelts, it becomes a government interest.

Sure, let's keep on down that road http://greatergreaterwashington.org/post/18301/maryland-considering-mandatory-helmets-for-drivers/ :)

You should totally have the freedom to not wear a helmet or seatbelt for that matter.  Emergency responders should have freedom to say "Mehh, you shoulda wore a helmet." when your brains are oozing out your ear.  The door swings both ways, as it should.  People need to quit trying to make it a one way door.  

The typical emergency responder's moral compass would never let him/her sit idle because of someone's lapse of judgment, BUT, ALL lawsuits should be thrown out in toto when you make that choice.  AND, it should cover all the bases.  Didn't wear a seat belt, got ejected out the front of the car and now a quadriplegic?  Don't file for disability, you're on your own for being stupid. Same with a helmet, didn't wear one and now you're a slobbering vegetable?  Nope, no help for you. .....but at least you didn't get a ticket for not wearing it!  LOL!

Edited by Caster
  • Like 2

I no longer have a dog in this fight. I gave up the bike two years ago. I had over 45 years in the saddle. I believe in the saying " Let those who ride decide".  Your best bet for fighting for bikers rights is ABATE.  They are the NRA for biker rights. When I was young and stupid I had to have the wind in my hair and as I got older I strapped on the skid lid. But I always wanted it to be my choice!

The bike and the lids are gone, but I just can't get rid of the leathers. Too many memories of days gone bye, I sure miss it.

Bye the way, I'm all for removing all warning labels and let nature take it's course. :cheers:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 2

When I ran a commercial tile company, we enforced wearing brain buckets, not because of the actions of my men, it's all the other idiots out there.

Ounce of prevention.

Don't own a bike but my best bud rode for 20 years, like crossfire, gave it up about 2 years ago.

He lives out of state, but every time I would see a crushed bike and ambulance on scene, I would call him to make sure he was keeping an eye out for everyone NOT paying attention.

That's what I worry about for you riders - I drive 4000+ miles a month and the stories I could tell would sound like tall tails of the one that got away. Driver's are so isolated and distracted within their vehicles, something "as small as" a motorcycle is not noticed until the last minute or it's too late.

Why choose to increase your risk of severe brain damage and long-term physical and mental injury?

If you are the guy we see with a $500 racing helmet, tank top, cut off shorts and flip flops - I'm proud of you for protecting your brain, man, but I not really sure your brain is worth protecting - it obviously doesn't understand skin contacting asphalt or concrete at a leisurely 30mph is recipe for road rash ala mode...

Wear / use the right equipment for the task at hand whatever it may be?

That's what I worry about for you riders - I drive 4000+ miles a month and the stories I could tell would sound like tall tails of the one that got away. Driver's are so isolated and distracted within their vehicles, something "as small as" a motorcycle is not noticed until the last minute or it's too late.

We're well aware of those risks and have the same worries but if you have to ride, you have to ride and you just can't explain it to a non-biker.

I left riding for about 15 years and had frequent weird motorcycle dreams until I picked it up again (which I always knew I would).

If you're not free to do something stupid, you're not free at all. However, you can't expect your neighbors to accept that you do stupid things and not try to change your behavior.

If you insist on riding without a helmet then, law be damned, do it. Be an outlaw!

Just don't insist that everyone agree with you.
  • Like 1

If you're not free to do something stupid, you're not free at all. However, you can't expect your neighbors to accept that you do stupid things and not try to change your behavior.

If you insist on riding without a helmet then, law be damned, do it. Be an outlaw!

Just don't insist that everyone agree with you.

While this makes sense, especially when the leaders of this constitutional republic flagrantly violate the law. It'll lead to (I assume) fines, moving violation penalties.

So it's ok for the majority to force their way upon the minority for the coveted rainbow unicorn?
  • Like 1

While this makes sense, especially when the leaders of this constitutional republic flagrantly violate the law. It'll lead to (I assume) fines, moving violation penalties.

So it's ok for the majority to force their way upon the minority for the coveted rainbow unicorn?

I didn't say anything about anybody forcing anybody to do anything.  Do as you please- I'm not responsible for you.

• Like 1

I didn't say anything about anybody forcing anybody to do anything. Do as you please- I'm not responsible for you.

And that's what's wrong. How many rights and freedoms have we debated when those rights and freedoms override common sense.

"It only affects me / what I do has no bearing on you." Not in my case if I risked my safety for my freedom. My wife and family become responsible for ALL the additional burdens that come from a catastrophic event if I survive or die. My zillion dollar insurance expense will be shared by the group, so I know I will cause premium increases because I know how insurance works. My wife will probably figure out to get a poa and get a me a disability check since I've worked all my life, so I'll tap into everyone's pocket for a few pennies because my rights and freedom outweighed an ounce of preventative common sense.

Sacrifice a little on the experience knowing how smart you are.
So you don't mind limiting someone else's freedom for a little safety common sense?

Sounds like a gun control argument if you ask me. I'm also sure there are more shooting victims due to crime than motorcyclists cracking open their heads but yet we have this debate that helmets save people money.

The ACA is going to save us 2500 a year too!

Really. If you're worried about someone riding without a helmet increasing your insurance premiums, petition your insurance company to put you in a pool which excludes motorcyclist who don't wear helmets (or even motorcyclists altogether if you'd prefer). It's already what's being done for smokers.

Of course, the idea is to spread risk around a bit but it's only reasonable that riskier activities incur higher premiums (or even cause forgoing insurance completely).