Helmet Law

Ugly

I lived in Ky for 30+ years ... we didn't have helmet laws. There were many years of riding lidless in my younger days. I liked it. My hindsight as a 60-year-old rider today is that I wish the government would've said I had to wear a helmet back then because I was too stupid not to do it on my own accord. Maybe you guys are smarter. 

I lost a friend to a bike wreck while I was in Ky. Massive head trauma. The docs said he would have survived if he had a helmet (he ran off the road at less then 40 mph). Which in reality, is where a helmet makes a difference in my opinion. Wreck your bike at 70 mph+, or get T-boned by a soccer mom, it really don't matter what you're wearing.

I understand the government/freedom thing, but we need some laws in our society to function, and a helmet law just isn't so hard for me to swallow. Just don't mess with my guns!  :usa:

I moved onto street bikes from dirt bike racing as a kid. Seemed natural to wear it on the street too. I go one step further and wear a neck brace, even on the street.

I do think it should be a choice, we have enough gov in our lives already.
  • Like 1
I'm an avid motorcyclist, I've ridden through a lot of states, and I've seen a lot of crashes. I've had people die in front of me multiple times. I've seen brain matter smeared across the asphalt (result of the noon DOT approved "brain bucket"). Because of the things I've seen I always wear a helmet and always will. It's something I feel strongly about. I'm not as ATGATT as I should be but a helmet is not negotiable with me.

A couple of my thoughts on the matter.

If you don't think you need a helmet then you are probably right.

$50 helmets are great for $50 heads.

Freedumb isn't free.

I do support the right to choose though, as was stated previously it's a little chlorine for the gene pool, almost like making stupid people wear a sign that says "I'm stupid" no need to ask that guy any questions...

Interject. Interject.

Indeed.    I'd be happy to hear from someone more informed on the topic that I am.

Regarding insurance... I'd be willing to sign a waiver that would release my insurance company of responsibility should I be injured while riding a motorcycle on public roads while not wearing a helmet. 

The problem with insurance is the majority of accidents are caused by Inattentive automobile drivers. This is really my point. If the powers that be would focus their efforts on training and reminding all drivers to be aware and share the road, there would be less accidents. Heck, how many car drivers don't even bother to use turn signals or drive with consideration to other drivers
Instead, we have folks (just like the ones that want gun laws) imposing a law to mandate helmets and think they have saved lives. This is mommy bloomburg type stuff. After all, it's for the children!
  • Like 2
I'm not sure if it's TN law but I would imagine wearing a helmet in a car is illegal, reason being is it can block your view. A full face blocks most of your peripheral vision. It was illegal in another states I've lived in.

I too have lost friends and have some that are permanently damaged, helmets can certainly protect the melon just as they can help snap your neck from the added weight and momentum.

I've also put bikes down, twice in the road and numerous times in the dirt. I've learned from them, since then I probably have at least 200k miles under my belt on two wheels. I've gotten more injury from the weight and size of the helmet
Not to mention dehydration. Of course I've participated in numerous training courses and have learned something new each time.

Safety prevention sounds good but also tends to have consequences.

Those of you that have seen heads split open have most likely seen more people injured in car accidents. Both are horrible and unnecessary. I've been in one accident in a car, fell asleep behind the wheel. 100% my fault and luckily didn't hurt anyone else (or me). I pay attention and am patient. The way I see it, there are no accidents, none, they are all caused by someone's neglect.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just advocating for freedom of choice.

Ride safe and look out for the other guy! Edited by Still Ugly
  • Like 2

I am against the helmet laws, but I wear one and will no matter the law.  I don not like someone telling me what I can wear and not wear.  I feel the same way about seat belts.  I wear one just don't like the government telling to do so.

My thoughts exactly. 

• Like 1

I lived in Ky for 30+ years ... we didn't have helmet laws. There were many years of riding lidless in my younger days. I liked it. My hindsight as a 60-year-old rider today is that I wish the government would've said I had to wear a helmet back then because I was too stupid not to do it on my own accord. Maybe you guys are smarter. 

I lost a friend to a bike wreck while I was in Ky. Massive head trauma. The docs said he would have survived if he had a helmet (he ran off the road at less then 40 mph). Which in reality, is where a helmet makes a difference in my opinion. Wreck your bike at 70 mph+, or get T-boned by a soccer mom, it really don't matter what you're wearing.

I understand the government/freedom thing, but we need some laws in our society to function, and a helmet law just isn't so hard for me to swallow. Just don't mess with my guns!  :usa:

So lack of a helmet law is akin to chaos? ;)

• Like 1

Insurance premiums are based on the likelihood of the insurance companies being required
to pay out and how much they are likely to pay. Riding without a helmet increases both of those in case of an accident. Although Still Ugly states that riders who don't wear helmets tend to wear better gear, very few people die from road rash. I'd have to see stats from an independent source to know what the actual affect is on deaths and accidents.

It's cheaper for the insurance if you die in the crash vs becoming a vegetable. Premiums should go down.

I wore all my gear when I road no matter what time of year but I also agreet that it should be a choice for adults. Seat belt laws and PFD boating laws are the same.

PDF and seat belt are not the same in Tennessee. In Tennessee if you don't click it you get a ticket. With PFD's Your only required to have one in the boat for each person but they are not required to wear them. Thing about that PFD law is except on Holidays there is no TWRA boats out on most lakes to enforce it to begin with...........jmho

Indeed. I'd be happy to hear from someone more informed on the topic that I am.

Regarding insurance... I'd be willing to sign a waiver that would release my insurance company of responsibility should I be injured while riding a motorcycle on public roads while not wearing a helmet.

Would you also sign a waiver that the government or any other person or business would receive full reimbursement from your injuries?

I think that's the rub. It is going to cost someone somewhere down the line. Maybe not for you specifically, but most bikers are not independent wealthy. Edited by zybysco

Yes, fear of costs by the use of terror tactics make this a conversation. 

Local 8 reports;

Triple-A was part of a study that shows with a no helmet law, traumatic brain injuries and deaths increase after crashes. Milani says, "If the helmets do come off and the bill is passed, the state residents and private insurance companies can see price go up 100 percent."

So by their math, if 10% of the 167k motorcyclists are in accidents, they would need to affect 280 automobile drivers (of the 4.5 million) to cause an increase of 100%.

It's all a farce, there are 31 states where one can ride without a helmet, chaos isn't the norm.

How many uninsured thugs are getting shot, stabbed or having babies or drug od's and who is paying that tab? I've got a feeling it's more.

Control is the reason, otherwise it wouldn't be a left leaning agenda using fuzzy (to put it lightly) math. 

I'm awaiting response from the AAA rep and the (rather good looking) journalist, of course I'm not holding my breath. 
Edited by Still Ugly
  • Like 1

Would you also sign a waiver that the government or any other person or business would receive full reimbursement from your injuries?

I think that's the rub. It is going to cost someone somewhere down the line. Maybe not for you specifically, but most bikers are not independent wealthy.

I'm confused... why would the government, person, or business receive reimbursement?  Reimbursement for what?  If you're referring to medical costs associated with injuries sustained, my assumption is I have enough put back to afford a funeral pyre. 

The whole full face helmets decrease peripheral vision thing doesn't hold water, just try one on.  The full faces made in the 70's and 80's may not have had as big as a field of vision but a well fitted modern helmet will not decrease your peripheral vision at all. 

• Like 1

The whole full face helmets decrease peripheral vision thing doesn't hold water, just try one on. The full faces made in the 70's and 80's may not have had as big as a field of vision but a well fitted modern helmet will not decrease your peripheral vision at all.

Thats true but lack of vision is the reason for laws against wearing one in a car. Makes sense don't it
  • Like 2
I like the pay more for insurance plan. Tell your carrier you do not wear head protection while riding even though common sense tells me if your head hits the road or an object in a motorcycle accident you are better protected with a legitimate helmet.
When you're in a coma on life support, why should the group pay more in premium to cover you?
Smokers pay more, weight and health impact privately purchased insurance, why not a a non helmet premium adjustment?
It's higher risk, why should your risk be shared by helmet wearing riders who are lower risk?
  • Like 1

The whole full face helmets decrease peripheral vision thing doesn't hold water, just try one on. The full faces made in the 70's and 80's may not have had as big as a field of vision but a well fitted modern helmet will not decrease your peripheral vision at all.

I have three modern full face helmets. They do interfere.

I agree about the insurance. As long as it's the same with the car, why am I paying more for other peoples accidents?
  • Like 1

I have three modern full face helmets. They do interfere.

I agree about the insurance. As long as it's the same with the car, why am I paying more for other peoples accidents?

Mine does not interfere in the least, I can not see any helmet when looking to the side.  I have worn helmets that I can not say that about though.

What angers me most about this topic is the mindset. The reason it's like that is because of a liberal blackmail from 1969 and the nation has been fed false stats ever since.

Motorcycles are a small part of society. A fraction, probably a fraction of a percentage against the leeches on society as well as the illegal population we fund.

Sickening.

Thanks for listening though :)
  • Like 2

I'm confused... why would the government, person, or business receive reimbursement?  Reimbursement for what?  If you're referring to medical costs associated with injuries sustained, my assumption is I have enough put back to afford a funeral pyre. 

I guess that is my point.  You assume you have enough to pay for a funeral pyre.  That would also leave the medical bills to be paid for all the heroic effort they used to try to save you.  I understand the freedom side of it, but it does sound like it could increase the burden on taxpayers.  No numbers have been cited here, and I don't care that much to look them up.  Besides, the EPA would fine your funeral pyre so much, there is no way you would have enough stashed away for that.