NRA Convention: Advice, Tips

Pete123

Not going to the show until tomorrow or Sunday?

Here are tips I have:

Note: your cell phone won't work in the facility - you have to go to a window or outside.

1. Be there as early as possible.  As the day went on it was much more crowded and reps in the booths were tired and less helpful.

2. This is a great opportunity to get great info from the horses mouth of your favorite vendors.

You can print a map at the following link:

http://s15.a2zinc.net/clients/NRA/nraam2015/public/eventmap.aspx?ID=461&sortMenu=101000&shmode=E

Pick out the vendors most important to you and go to them first.  Have questions ready.

For example:

A Sig expert spent a lot of time helping me pick out what will be my first AR

A Sig expert shared pistol handling techniques for left handers - very helpful

A Springfield expert shared options for me with a glare problem I'm having with tritium sights.  I told him I didn't want to replace the sights and that it was only a problem at the indoor shooting range.  He told me about an aerosol spray that is effectively spray on chalk.  That is exactly the type of solution I was looking for.

3.  I walked by all booths to see what I might be surprised by.  I wound up getting a laser training pistol for home practice.  I got great input on a scope to use.  

4. All the gun companies have shooting experts there.  This would be a great time to get input on any trouble areas you have.

5. There wasn't much swag.  Everyone had catalogs, so I stocked up on those.

6. The defensive shooting seminar with Rob Pincus was very good. He had a second seminar on home defense, though I missed it.

7.  The NRA has a seminar on how not to be a victim.  "Refuse to be a victim".  It had excellent content, but was so boring I couldn't take it.  They give you a manual on the way in at no cost, you may want one.

8.  Most vendors have special pricing non-firearms on items at the show.

9. Parking, about $20.  You can buy food and drink in the show.  Trust me when I tell you that my cheap ass choaked on the prices.

• Like 1
13) Parking at LP field was completely full by 12:15, so fat lot of good that did us. We went straight up McGavock I think it was, about 3 blocks and parked for $11.

14) Bring a bookbag.

15) Get your free gun cleaning mat at the Hogue booth.

16) Stop by the Xtreme bullets booth for some free samples of plated bullets. Don't need or want any? Grab me a baggie of .40 165gr please. If I get enough of you to do that I won't have to buy any more this year!

17) Play with the cool airgun setup at the CMC booth, then buy a sweet drop-in trigger for $130. That's below dealer cost pretty much anywhere.

10.  Wear comfortable shoes.

My fitbit pedometer measured 10,000 steps at 4.68 miles.  I didn't walk any more than I needed.  Probably not the day to show off those fancy cowboy boots if you are heavy, over age 45 or both.

• Like 2

As several have said...WEAR COMFORTABLE SHOES!! It is a must. Especially for old guys, like me, with foot and leg issues.

And yes that raised mat in the booths got me several times. Almost did several face plants. That would have been both painful and embarrassing for me.

Ok, Im' old , and in not great shape. Unless round is a great shape.

But regardless, I got to MCC at 7:45 hoping to catch a space inside for closer parking. Found one easily and was well pleased. I wanted a place to stash anyting I took as sample and reference materials, as well as the freebies; which seemed to be bags this time.

So I had the opportunity to walk back to my vehicle several times to unload what I'd accumulated. Also to get water and a few snacks I'd brought.

A suggestion for you guys going tomorrow, Saturday. Get there early. Bring a few snacks, and bring large amounts of water. Repeat...bring water.

Aside from the cost inside MCC, you will need it to keep hydrated. That place was miserable today, and the vendors said to expect it to be hotter and much more crowded Saturday.

Yes it cost me 10 more to park there, but for me it was worth it. Especially since I really didn't know for sure I'd get the chance to go.

And if you do get hungry in there, the Turkey sandwich was delicious.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
I stopped by the Comp Tac booth early in the morning and Randi Rogers ( pro shooter) was working. She showed me some belts and holsters and we talked for a good while. I went back around 4pm to get a belt and a young man went to get me the belt and Randi was working the cash register ! That showed me she was willing to work and do what was needed and doesn't have a big ego.