22 LR AMMO AVAIL

It will never stop until people stop paying .10-.12-.15 cents a round from the scalpers. And by scalpers I don't just mean the early morning Walmart crowd. People have to quit buying high priced .22 just because they see it sitting on a self and feel, "they better get it before somebody else does". The salesman at Cabelas, in Ringgold on Tue. said they had over 3 pallets of it in the back warehouse. Only bringing it out a case at a time and selling it 1 brick per customer. They had Fed. Rem.  CCI and a couple other brands, 50/box up to 500/brick. 325 Federal Automatch $18.99 / brick. CCI was higher per round and they had 100/packs and 50/boxes of different types. Even had some sub-sonic. I bought a brick of Automatch for a friend, I didn't need any for my self.

• Like 1
It won't happen, but if people would simply stop buying it for a month from anyone, the price would drop like a lead ball. Like I said though, it'll never happen. I haven't bought any in several months and won't buy it at current prices. Edited by Randall53

I buy it whenever it's 5 cents a round.  That means it's usually bulk pack.  WalMart has been selling a few boxes at over 10 cents a round, including the Winchester Super X Hypervelocity. 

WalMart keeps raising the price.  The Winchester 333's are now $14.97 where they were just $11.97. 

I haven't bought any in several months and won't buy it at current prices.

I gave up on it. Went airgun instead. Sold off rifle and ammo that I had.

Weird thing is, offered the ammo pre- SH prices and many turned their noses up at it. Oh well. Don`t care now.

It won't happen, but if people would simply stop buying it for a month from anyone, the price would drop like a lead ball. Like I said though, it'll never happen. I haven't bought any in several months and won't buy it at current prices.

I looked at several online sites today for .22 lr but I will not pay the prices they want.  I'll sell my guns that use .22 before I pay the current prices.

Well, i figure that prices go up.  I mean, I remember when gas was 89 cents a gallon.  Well, it ain't that price, anymore and isn't likely to ever be that price, again.  Just look at what a beef roast or a gallon of milk costs today compared to, say, five years ago.  The sad truth is that .22LR ammo was never going to stay at 5 cents per round forever.  I doubt that .22LR prices would have gone up quite so much as they have without the scare and the 'shortage' and I also refuse to pay scalper prices (such as the guy at the HWY 11 flea market this past weekend who was asking $40 for a bulk box of Remington Thunderbolts.)  However, I also don't think that prices would be the same, now, as they were three years ago even without the scare/shortage.  I mean, all ammo (and pretty much everything else) has increased in price in that time and some of it has increased quite a lot.  The increase in the price of basic WWB or Remington UMC.44 Mag ammo from just over $30 to nearly $50 per 50 rounds or the increase in decent, brass cased 9mm range ammo from just under $10 to $15 or more per box in the last, few years hurts me a lot more than paying a dollar or two more for a box of 50 .22 rounds.

Personally, I enjoy shooting my .22s too much to sell them off and go the air gun route.  I mean, I have air guns and I do shoot/target practice with them, sometimes, but the 'pffftt' sound they make simply does not give me the same satisfaction as something that goes 'bang', even the rather modest 'bang' of a .22.  I have cut way back on my shooting - which previously included a lot of .22 shooting - but sometimes the 'jones' is just too much to resist.  So, I'll pay as much as $5 for a box of fifty rounds, occasionally. to be able to enjoy shooting my .22s without dipping into my all too meager stash (well, actually to replace ammo I shoot from my all too meager stash.)  That is still cheaper than any other factory ammo I can think of - and right around the price of a fast food burger, fries and a drink.  I can't say I'd be totally happy if .22 supplies returned to normal and the $5 per box of 50 price was permanent but if I knew I could walk into any store and buy a box right off the shelf at that price at any time then I'd be a lot happier than I am with the current situation in which .22 is still difficult to find at any price with profiteers selling it for $8, $10 or $12 a box (which I won't pay.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

$5 a box of 50 is .10 /per round and OK by you. But $40 for a brick of 500 .08/per round is scalping?

As far as I see it they are both scalping.

I didn't say I would feel great about it.  I am just saying that I would prefer $5 per box for ammo I knew I could walk in and buy any time I wanted it to the current situation where stores are generally sold out and scalpers are pricing the same ammo at $8 or more per box.  I don't buy enough at a time to make it worth ordering ammo online or to make it worth the aggravation to constantly shop around only to find that this or that online dealer had that same ammo for a little bit less - until they sold out twenty minutes ago..

Further, the comparison in your quote is not an apples to apples comparison.  I am not talking Remington Thunderbolts at $5 per box of 50 vs. Remington Thunderbolts at $40 for a bulk pack.  I wouldn't pay $5 per 50 for Remington Thunderbolts.  Personally, I think that CCI (for which I have paid $5 per box of 50) is better ammo than Remington Thunderbolts and worth a few cents more per round.  Some folks apparently refuse to shoot Thunderbolts at any price.  I do not but I wouldn't pay that much for them. 

The people who are pricing Remington Thunderbolt bulk packs at $40 are the same people who are pricing 50 round boxes of various 'nothing special' .22LR ammo at $7 or $8 dollars per box.  I have even seen a couple of them with a $12 price tag on the same ammo that is currently selling for $4 or $5 per box in stores (when they have it.)  That, to me, is scalping.

I guess I just have a different perspective and that is fine - I know everyone won't necessarily agree with my opinion.  As I said, before, my perspective is influenced by seeing how much other ammo as well as non-gun related products have increased in price or availability in just the last, few years rather than putting my, "I remember when $5 would feed two people at Taco Bell." or my, "I remember when Krystal burgers were 25 cents a piece," blinders on and looking only at the price increases on .22 ammo.  I think of it this way - the price difference between 9mm range ammo or .38 Special range ammo now compared to four or five years ago would buy me a box of that $5 .22 ammo with change left over.  The price difference between .44 Mag ammo or .357 Mag ammo three years ago compared to now would almost buy me two boxes of that same .22 ammo.  When I bought a CZ 82 in 9mm Makarov during the last ammo 'shortage' I could get Monarch fmj ammo for right at $10 per box.  I haven't seen Monarch in 9mm Mak on an Academy shelf in a year or two and the next cheapest 9mm Mak ammo I can find is twenty-some-odd dollars per box.  Again, I could buy 100 rounds of that $5 per 50 .22 ammo just with the price difference.  Heck, gas has gone up nearly thirty cents a gallon in less than a month and I have to buy that crap even if just so I can get back and forth to work.  So, in light of all that, paying a buck or two more per box of what is still the cheapest factory ammo around doesn't rankle me nearly as much.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

My daughter-in-law and her husband drove in from TX this week.  He brought me over 2500 rounds of .22 that he picked up during the last few weeks in Dallas.  Hopefully the weather will be good midweek

Edited by tnhawk

Went to Walmart early this morning, needed some stuff for the smoker. Saw 2 guys at the gun counter waiting for ammo to get unpacked. They got a case of 2000 M-22 LR.  1000per box  and 2 bricks of 500 per box. Each guy took a 1000 round box. One guy offered to split his box with me, the other said he waited all year to score 22lr so his kids could shoot, but also offered to split the box with me. I have to believe they were both shooters. I said "no thanks", and picked up a couple boxes of 9mm. Just good to see that the scalpers seem to be on the decline here.

Edited by crossfire
  • 3 weeks later...

Academy @ Wolfchase in Memphis/Bartlett has 12-15 wooden boxes of the Winchester Special Edition 22 Long Rifle.  500 in the box I believe.  $32.99 + Tax gets it to $36.04.   

Edited by Luap

Gander Mountain in Hixson had .22lr in stock yesterday 6/15/2015. Some CCI along with Remington, I'm not sure what the price was. I'm just letting anyone in the area that needs some .22lr know where I saw some. They were behind the gun counter. GM is way over priced, but they have a great selection of guns and it doesn't cost anything to look. :2cents:

Edited by crossfire
  • 2 weeks later...

The "new" price for .22's is going up, just as Ron_Tn alluded about the so called gas shortage in 1973. It sure was mighty suspicious that when gas went to $1.00+ there was all the gas you wanted, prior to that the service stations had lines and their tanks were so low you got trash and water a lot of times. When the manufacturers finally realize that we as consumers will pay a pretty penny to shoot our guns then they will put on some new machines, double the price and bam all the ammo you can buy, which will be 1/2 as much as you could buy prior to all this craziness. I said this many years ago that a gun without sufficient ammo was not even a good club, a baseball bat or golf club is much better when you are out of ammo. My $0.02

Just picked up a couple boxes of CCI Quiet-22 at Alcoa Walmarts. They had quite a bit left. Velocity listed on the box says 710 fps. And they are quiet out of a 16" rifle barrel.

Price is 3.27/box, limit of 3.

Also saw someone wearing a Gore/Lieberman 2000 t-shirt. So that was a bonus.
  • 2 weeks later...

Regal Range, .22LR galore. Big stacks of 100 count Remington, Winchester, CCI, smaller 50 count boxes also for $5 and change, 100 count boxes no more than $11 and change. Bought a 100 ct. bx. of Winchester for $10.20 tax included. 

Most .22 i've seen since the big panic.

• Like 1

Dicks in cool springs has Rem 22 JHP 525 brks fer $29 and the limit is 1. Plenty on the shelf too.

The same old guys are still at Wally World getting their ammo as it comes in .

Mike

Is the issue at Wal-Mart that the employees are not putting the ammo on the shelf and holding it for friends?

• 1 month later...

Academy Sports in Mt. Juliet received a big load of .22 LR today.  Pricing from $2.50 to $4.00 per box for regular.  2 box limit.

I paid a little more than usual and got the Remington's @ $8.00 for 100 because you can get two boxes of those.

My best thinking would be that you can get ammo into the early afternoon tomorrow - had a good bit of it.

Gander Mnt. - only has match at $10 / box

Walmart in Mt Juliet didn't have any and said they only get it once per month.