My First 1911

A couple of observations from a not-professional:

1)  CZ 75's are simply more accurate and slip right into the hand.  Your hand is where it's gonna be.

2)  If you can handle a CZ with small hands a 1911 should be no problem.  The grip is a lot thinner but the front end maybe a bit heavier.  You shouldn't hold a pistol too tight but maybe you aren't holding it tight enough? Don't worry about where you rest your thumb(s).  They should both be pointed straight forward.....just not against the slide.

• Like 3

Thanks.  I just ordered a Wilson GI guide rod and plug.  I think it'll make a big difference...

Congrats on a fine pistol! A few holsters, spare magazines and a new set of grips and you'll realize you've become a 1911 addict.
  • Like 1
I think you bought a fine gun and one that is the best for the money in today's market.

Hopefully, som of this will be helpful:

1. Sounds like you may have scratched the gun putting the slide stop back in. My Loaded is my second 1911 and I scratched it. I'm trying to not let it bother me. This Springfield loaded is much tighter than my other one and the slide stop is hard to put in.

I suspect that most 1911's that are shot frequently have been scratched by the slide stop.

2. There may be something wrong with the grip safety. Springfield customer service is awesome. If needed, they will email you a FedEx label and you'll get your gun back shortly. No challenge at all.

3. Nothing feels good in the hand like a Browning Hi Power or similar gun like your CZ. It may be that other grips would be better for you. I suspect you hand is big enough. Hogue, Packmyer or other grips may help you grip the gun better. Like you, I really appreciate the ones that came on it.....and the grips that come on some of Sringfield's more expensive 1911's are pretty badass looking and have better gripping.

4. You mentioned sore hands. I run my mouth and use a computer for a living. I've noticed that doing things with guns may hurt my hands at first, though it gets better. I love the suggestion to get snap caps and practice at home. Your muscles will build up in no time.

5. You mentioned the recoil being more than you are used to. My hope is that you will get used to it by shooting more. I'm getting better at focusing on the front sight and pressing the trigger and don't really notice the recoil. I also remember that when I first got back into shooting earlier this year that the 9mm felt like a lot of recoil.

Having said that, I am a big believer in sticking to calibers that are comfortable for the shooter. Testosterone and ego get involved with guns, which causes many to develop significant flinch, wasted money on expensive ammo, etc...
  • Like 1

My 1911 is a Rock Island Armory 9mm. Full size and the tactical version that has better sights. Very nice gun, accurate, easy and cheap to shoot. 

Oh the RIA are definitely on my list of wants.  The new Ultra models are sweet.

• Like 2

My 1911 is a Rock Island Armory 9mm. Full size and the tactical version that has better sights. Very nice gun, accurate, easy and cheap to shoot. 

Good choice GTownGeorge. I have a GI model that I've upgraded the sights, had a trigger job, and the rails cleaned up on. Great shooter. 

Just as an added protection, I plan on polishing the feed ramp as well on it.

But still thinking about one of the new tactical models as well. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Good choice GTownGeorge. I have a GI model that I've upgraded the sights, had a trigger job, and the rails cleaned up on. Great shooter. 

Just as an added protection, I plan on polishing the feed ramp as well on it.

But still thinking about one of the new tactical models as well. lol

Have you seen the new rock islands? Double stack 1911 9mm? Im counting down the days until my trickle funds for it reach their limit. Or I just say to hell with it and buy it. They also include a .22 barrel and spring.

Are you speaking of the 22TCM package? I'm not familiar with a 22 lr kit, but with all their new offerrings; there may well be one.

I just ordered one from GB that you'll like. I'll send you a pic when it arrives. The Pro Match 9mm 1911.

The 1911 GM in 45ACP doesn't feel or shoot like any other service pistol or service type pistol. It's grip angle, grip safety and trigger pull are different enough to throw you off a bit. Its all about shooting enough with the pistol to adapt to it. If you use a 1911 chambered in 9mmP its a totally different experience.  

The 1911 GM in 45ACP doesn't feel or shoot like any other service pistol or service type pistol. It's grip angle, grip safety and trigger pull are different enough to throw you off a bit. Its all about shooting enough with the pistol to adapt to it. If you use a 1911 chambered in 9mmP its a totally different experience.  

Ok, I'm a little dense this morning and need some help. What is the 1911 GM? Sure it's something I should know, but just not putting it together.

Our SA 1911 was the very first gun I have ever fired. She'll be in our family forever. Good choice! I hope you love yours as much as we do. And the guys are 100% right! It just leads to more! We got a Les Baer a few years back too. Have fun with it! They're amazingly fun guns! My favorite to shoot at the range.

Are you speaking of the 22TCM package? I'm not familiar with a 22 lr kit, but with all their new offerrings; there may well be one.

I just ordered one from GB that you'll like. I'll send you a pic when it arrives. The Pro Match 9mm 1911.

Would you happen to have the model number?  I've looked at several RIAs, but can't decide on a particular model.  I like the 22 TCM in theory, but I don't reload and I'm afraid it would be difficult to purchase locally.

Would you happen to have the model number?  I've looked at several RIAs, but can't decide on a particular model.  I like the 22 TCM in theory, but I don't reload and I'm afraid it would be difficult to purchase locally.

Check the Rock Island Armory site and look for Pro Match. I believe it" #51434.

There's a 5 and 6 inch model available. Would prefer the 6, but the 5 was on the GB auction.

Edited by hipower

Check the Rock Island Armory site and look for Pro Match. I believe it" #51434.

There's a 5 and 6 inch model available. Would prefer the 6, but the 5 was on the GB auction.

Sorry, I was kind of confused. I thought you said you got a 9mm Pro Match. Rock Island doesn't list one of those on their website, that's why I was asking for a model number.

Hi, I have a micro compact loaded Springer and had the same issue with the slide stop. Its "normal" in 1911's... but the fix is simple. A small dimple needs to be filed on the slide stop so that the plunger has something to slide into. Any 1911 gunsmith can do it, either free or dirt cheap.  You would think the manufacturers would mod the slidestop from the get go... but they don't.  What works for me on those 1911's that I haven't fixed yet was a simple "thin" guitar pick. Plenty of them available here in TN !!  Slide it between the plunger and the slide stop and the stop slips into position fast, with no "idiot marks" on the gun.  Just my "2 cents" this morning. hope it helps.

Edited to add a pic

P1020482.jpg

Edited by Dafadda
  • Like 1