Eyeball Problems (Dry Eye Syndrome)

So these are the drops the pharmacist helped me pick out. Does anyone see anything wrong with them?

zJWn8I4.jpg

xqbV3Gc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just for your contacts. If you need lubricant eye drops for your actual eyes, don't see where that would help much of anything.

I've been though every kind there is. Including various gels and even the ointment type underneath an eyelid for sleep.

Have found that best lubricant for me are the ones with Carboxymethyl cellulose (sometimes written as one word) type active ingredient, and both Walgreen and CVS (and probably others) have that as a generic. Only makes things blurry for about a minute after use and gives longer acting relief, even before sleep, than any of the other compounds.

Best to avoid any of the "get the red" out types period,  though I confess I carry a tiny vial of Clear Eyes around just for the few times I feel it's important not to look like I been smoking pot or whatever. :)

I'm also doing the Restasis thang twice a day, but that's only if you are truly diagnosed with Dry Eye Syndrome. It has helped reduced the overall misery by about half.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1. You never stated if you wear contact lenses or not, but you were working outside, so a corneal abrasion is possible.

2. From everything you wrote in these posts eye fatigue is surely possible.

3. You were tested for glaucoma, but what was the tenometry? Did the optometrist mention anything about being borderline suspect?

4. You mentioned that you have allergies, anything severe?

5. Eye pain is serious, don't ignore it, seriously.

6. Any recent illnesses? Do You have diabetes? Do you have high blood pressure? Family history of glaucoma, macular degeneration?

7. We could go on like this forever. As others have stated, make an appointment with an opthalmologist, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your vision. Edited by spazz023
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

1. You never stated if you wear contact lenses or not, but you were working outside, so a corneal abrasion is possible.

2. From everything you wrote in these posts eye fatigue is surely possible.

3. You were tested for glaucoma, but what was the tenometry? Did the optometrist mention anything about being borderline suspect?

4. You mentioned that you have allergies, anything severe?

5. Eye pain is serious, don't ignore it, seriously.

6. Any recent illnesses? Do You have diabetes? Do you have high blood pressure? Family history of glaucoma, macular degeneration?

7. We could go on like this forever. As others have stated, make an appointment with an opthalmologist, it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your vision.

1) no contacts, no glasses. Supposedly due to test today no abrasions.

2) hoping decent sleep tonight makes it all go away 100%. Probably not.

3) I have no idea.

4) pollen, dogs, cats, all the good things to be allergic to. Things really make my eyes itch.

5) Trying not to ignore it. Will try for an appointment this week unless all symptoms disappear without reoccurrence.

6) no recent illnesses. No diabetes but my grandmother does. Don't think so about glaucoma and not educated enough about macular degeneration.

Honestly, never really given much thought to my eyes as I have always had great, in my opinion, "perfect" vision. Only until this week did I even have a glimpse at what some people deal with daily. Learned a lot by researching. Want to learn more.

Those are not eye drops… they are for rinsing and storing contacts… you wear contacts?  That is a major piece of info that could lead to eye issues involving pain.

EDIT: if you aren't wearing contacts… you don't need those "drops" … 

Edited by cjohnson44546

1) no contacts, no glasses.

Your pharmacist is insane, then.

See my previous post. You may get some comfort with lubricating eye drops (or not), but if you do, that ain't them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
Well I wouldn't so much as say that he was insane, I went in asking for saline solution and that is what he pulled. I didn't explain I was looking for lubricating drops.

Will try again tomorrow.

Well I wouldn't so much as say that he was insane, I went in asking for saline solution and that is what he pulled. I didn't explain I was looking for lubricating drops.

Oh, gotcha, you're the one that's nuts. ;)

Seriously, if your eyes do indeed need lubrication, a primarily saline solution is pretty much the opposite of what you need. Salts absorb moisture.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Seriously, if your eyes do indeed need lubrication, a primarily saline solution is pretty much the opposite of what you need. Salts absorb moisture.

- OS

While salt does indeed absorb moisture, those drops should have the same salinity as tears.  They'll work fine to lubricate your eyes.  It a 12oz bottle of the "natural tears" stuff for the same price as the 0.5 oz bottle.

Yes, go see an ophthalmologist.  Talk to this person in depth, tell them everything.  The more they know, they better they can diagnose. 

Do you wear sunglasses?  Your eyes might be sunburned. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

- OS

Well, actually that would probably be the MD I saw Friday. He said to use saline drops for moisture, unless there is something wrong with my hearing as well...

:pleased:

While salt does indeed absorb moisture, those drops should have the same salinity as tears.  They'll work fine to lubricate your eyes.  It a 12oz bottle of the "natural tears" stuff for the same price as the 0.5 oz bottle.

Yes, all eye drops tweak PH to be same as eyes, that is, to "normal" eyes anyway -- these will safely flush your eyes but not leave any extra lubricating film.

Dry eye syndrome, if that's really a factor, can be simple deficit in tear volume, or no deficit in volume at all, but that the tears are no longer chemically balanced with correct protein blend for optimum surface retention (ie, evaporates too quickly), so you need a lubricant in there also, like Polyethylene Glycol, or Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, or whatever.

You'll find that unlike this saline only solution, most of the "natural tears" type drops also contain a lubricant, just generally not as much as in the ones described as "lubricant" drops.

Perhaps erroneous on my part to suggest that saline alone will make them any "drier",  but won't make them any "wetter" either except very briefly.

Whatever works for ya is right,  of course. But if the saline doesn't do anything for ya except 5 minutes at a time, try a few with different actual lubricating compounds in them.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
That's nothing but saline solution. Won't hurt, but like everyone else said it ain't lubricant.

That said, I use that same stuff. I wear contacts and suffer from dry eyes anyway, during working hours I use artificial tears, but in the evenings and at night I use what you showed here.

Like others have stated--GO TO AN OPHTHALMOLOGIST!!!  Make an appointment and find out if there is anything wrong with your eyes.  Is it worth possibly losing your eyesight or the quality of vision you already have?  It could be due to a variety of factors, but you need to get to an ophthalmologist pronto.

• Moderators
Well I am probably going to try and go to one next week. I called all I could find locally and all are booked into next week until July.

I purchased some actual lubricating drops and they are making my eyes feel better than they have for a while.

Seeing as how I have to wait at least a week for an ophthalmologist I am trying everything I can until then. Probably call tomorrow to setup an appointment as soon as possible.

• Moderators

You're not, it's just eyes are something you don't screw with.

Oh I know. I have honestly been super depressed since Wednesday over this. Just the fact that the doctor said I would probably need glass in 20 years (I am 24 now) got me down. Couple that with whatever this is and I'm a downer.

Oh I know. I have honestly been super depressed since Wednesday over this. Just the fact that the doctor said I would probably need glass in 20 years (I am 24 now) got me down. Couple that with whatever this is and I'm a downer.

Meh.  I've had glasses or contacts since I was 10.  Honestly with the one eye at 20/70, I'd want to get that fixed.  My left eye has a slight astigmatism that my contact don't correct for, and sometimes even that's annoying.  I'm picky about being able to see. 

You'll be fine.  Call the opthamalogists back and tell them to call you if they have a cancellation. 

Fun Fact:  Restasis for the treatment of KCS was first invented and patented as a medicine for dogs for the treatment of KCS (by a Georgia veterinarian, no less).  I was using topical cyclosporin for KCS in dogs for a long time before the human version was approved.  Most medicines shared between the species start on the human side and then are adopted for animals.

Probably costs a lot more for humans, though.

• Like 2
I got glasses at age 5, soft contacts at 13... Hard contacts at 17.... Am now 24

Even with the best glasses or contacts, I can only get 20-30 in my left, and 20-50ish in the right.........and I see double all the time (always have)

Frustrating? Definitely...but I remember vividly the first time I truly saw my mother. I ran my hands all over her face just to make sure it was her. Same with my brother and father. It's a feeling I'll never shake.
  • Like 1

My eyes were terrible… wearing glasses since I was 7… best thing I ever did was get LASIK a couple of years ago.  They were able to get my right eye to 20/15 and left to 20/30.  To see normally without being half blind… no contact junk or warped glasses views, its fantastic.