U.S. flag not lowered ?

FWIW some flags *cant* be lowered to 1/2 and those are excused in the rules.  This does not apply to the WH setup, of course, but in case someone sees one that is not lowered it does not always mean someone is doing wrong.   Sometimes ppl got their heads up their backsides and don't lower it because they forget etc too.   Its rare that someone who bothers to fly a flag would intentionally fly it wrong; most are patriots and try to do it right.   Then theres the whitehouse...

FWIW some flags *cant* be lowered to 1/2 and those are excused in the rules. This does not apply to the WH setup, of course, but in case someone sees one that is not lowered it does not always mean someone is doing wrong. Sometimes ppl got their heads up their backsides and don't lower it because they forget etc too. Its rare that someone who bothers to fly a flag would intentionally fly it wrong; most are patriots and try to do it right. Then theres the whitehouse...

Which flags can't be lowered?

Thought the one on the moon is the only one not lowered.
  • Like 1

Which flags can't be lowered?

Thought the one on the moon is the only one not lowered.

Um, quite a few.  I have a little stick flag on my desk, and it can't be lowered.  Some people have the 45 degree angle mounts on their homes, and those can't be lowered.   A number of other "short pole" home mounts are fixed at one position.   Basically, any pole where the flag is directly attached to the top of it cant be changed, and is excused.    The ones indoors like near the presidential podium can't be changed.  Stuff like that.   Outside, most taller poles are real and CAN be, but a few that are like on rooftops etc are affixed. 

check out this, for one example:

http://www.theflagpoleco.com/20brcoshbpr.html

which I think would not be able to fly at 1/2.  

Edited by Jonnin

I haven't felt this disgusted with our so called leaders in Washington  since I was advised not to wear my uniform in public when I returned from Vietnam, back in the 60's". :surrender:

Thread drift, but your post reminded me of something my dad told me when I was a young kid.

He spent two years in Vietnam ('66 and '68, regular infantry).

On his 2nd trip home, his plane got diverted.  

The 1st plane landed at a commercial airport (Oakland, I think, but not positive).  Debarking, the soldiers started getting spit on and got the "baby killer" treatment.

His ended up landing at an AFB.

That always stuck in my head, even as a kid.

You spend 365 in a sh#thole, come back to the "Land of Milk and Honey," and get greeted with that.

How could that not mess with your head?

Sorry, back to flags...