4 Lb AR-15

Ted S.

Ignorance talking here, but thinning that barrel won't cause it to wear faster or deform due to heat and pressure?

It would require a lot of rounds before the barrel becomes heated to s point it becomes plasticized and ruptures. The gas tube generally fails before the barrel.

Btw, the OD of this barrel is the same as a typical AK47. So if an AK can make it several hundred rounds on full auto I do not believe semi auto firing will cause the plasticization needed for the barrel to fail.

As far as wear this barrel will not wear any faster than a thicker barrel.

The 300 Blackout does not have pressures that are higher than 7.62x39, generally the 300 Blackout has lower pressures.
  • Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
great stuff! i worked w gordon getting my 3 gun rifle together which was at 5 lbs on the first lap
we used a upoer free of the fa and dust cover in addition to a clark handguard to save weight. in addition to a btm adjustable gas block the gun worked like a champ. 4 lbs will be cool to see for sure, gordons buffers work great, so much better than the jp or taccom we experimented with.
its amazing at what adds weight and what can save weight at the end of the day, cant wait to see the end result!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, its either this or smoke signals!
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: Should be wrapping this build up shortly. Just waiting to get the barrel back from cerakoting and the bolt carrier should be arriving this week. I do have to see if I can find a cotter pin for the bolt locally and will have to "borrow" a rear sight from one of the rifles at the house to test it out(I have a TROY rear sight that's being borrowed right now, but I'm going to probably "borrow" it back to test and tune this bad boy {if everything falls into place}).

Still haven't decided if I do want to SBR or cerakote the whole thing as of this moment.

How in the heck can you make a reliable, sturdy, durable, reasonably accurate AR that weighs less than 5lbs with a nitrided barrel and bolt for less than.....?  Yeah, it has to be nitrided.

Actually, the barrel just got cerakoted today. Special thanks to Amendment 2 Custom Coatings.

12084000_533425156813524_1589411585_n.jp

4.5 lbs is still pretty amazing tho.

I agree. I did end up comprimising on a few parts, but all in all I'm glad that it hit around the mark. I just need to test it out at the range and then I'll post some pics on the Show and Tell section.

I know this is not totally kosher, and I swear i am not your wife going incognito, but how much $$ are you into so far on this project? (ish)?  (Not wanting a full breakdown, just curious.)

You probably don't want to know. It hurts to think about it. But I built this AR with parts I wanted, so that makes up a lot of the cost. If I had to guesstimate, the lower was $400+ (has custom buffer though) and the upper is somewhere around $1000+/-. I'd also like to get a light to put on it, so that will add some cost.

Won't know if it's worth it till I shoot it though.