Cerakote a revolver?

Moped

I bought a S&W Model 38 (No dash) .38spl this afternoon from my Uncle.  The finish is not the greatest in the world.  Actually it's pretty rough.  The the bluing on the cylinder is pretty faded and the finish on the frame is has a lot of scratches on it.  The barrel also has had a bit of rust that was started some time ago.  It's not bad, but it has marred the finish on the right side. So I'm wondering what do do about it.  It would make a pretty decent truck pistol and I don't have a lot in it ($175), but I like how it carries in the pocket.  It's pretty light, being an airweight model. I was wonder if cerakote would be an option on a revolver.  If so, is there anyone in the Knoxville area that does cerakote, that you would all recommend.

Well if it's a Model 38 then we're talking about an aluminum alloy frame aren't we? If that's the case than the re-bluing option also means finding someone to reanodize the frame. So if its as rough as you say cerakote might not be to bad of an ideal. But before you do anything have the frame checked for cracks and remember no +p rounds. Now if I'm wrong and its a steel frame than a good hot blued finish done by a master buffer is a thing of beauty.

• Like 1

It's an aluminum frame, so yeah only standard pressure ammunition for it.  That's a bit of a pain too, because standard pressure SD rounds are not that easy to find anymore.  Visited Academy Sports a bit ago and just about everything was +P or LRN.  They finally put out some Monarch .38spl 158gr SJHP, so I picked that up.

Garufa maybe right.  I could have just the cylinder reblued.  The scratches on the frame itself really are not that bad.  I will take some photos and post them up in a bit.

• Like 1
89586293eef3ec9136a2b4baa73d8f1c.jpg
Right side view.
77607c3282164759f6cf0713f0c8c66c.jpg
Left side view.
ff478737d7e176f3bcc18ae6fd6594d2.jpg
You can see how rough the finish is on the steel cylinder. I could possibly just have this portion reblued. You can sort of see the scratches in the bluing on the frame if you zoom in.
985cf4d28b9a7846ebf0cfc0b861f4b1.jpg
If you zoom in you can see the old rust damage to the barrel.
d8dd2724020173017da0097f71137628.jpg
Another cylinder shot.
a92b6586be9aa5a6a0d2dece99b9d837.jpg
And another cylinder shot.
Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped

Honestly? Leave it alone, its not all that bad. If you want to do some corrosion control put a car paste wax on it and call it a day. I'm all for refinishing a gun when its really necessary but tend to believe a cerntan level of blue wear only defines character.

• Like 2

Yeah, I ain't looking to shoot the boys off.  Over the last 52 years, I've become quite attached to them. :D  I'm packing it in a De Santis Nemesis Pocket holster.  So far it seems to hid well.  One thing I like about little revolvers like this is they DON"T make your britches saggy. :)

you can cerakote a revolver; wife has a hot pink one.   Its fine, and relatively inexpensive, and usually can find someone in driving distance to do it if not a DYI person.   It looks sharp if its done right, and it gets rid of the rust problem.    Given the price of that gun,  and its general value, it may not be worth it but if you do it and then treat it with some respect it will be good for a lifetime going forward.  Or you can keep it maintained .. oiled and wiped and as someone said waxed, or you can use blue-touch-up pen/kit,  or whatever ... lots of ways to maintain it ... that works too.   Either choice works.

• Like 2

Personally, I think the right color of Ceracote could look good on that revolver.  Maybe something like:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-237Q/tungsten/

or

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-151Q/satin-aluminum/

or something a little closer to the original look like this:

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/finishes/H-185Q/blue-titanium/

Of those colors, I would probably opt for the Satin Aluminum.  Fighting Sheepdog (Lord I love that name!) has a color they say looks very similar to traditional bluing. 

Refurbed or as is; one of the coolest Smith's ever..especially since Dennis Quaid carried one in an ankle holster in The Big Easy...

At 14oz, I could see this little piece being almost the perfect large bore ankle gun!

To me it will always be Ricardo Tubbs's gun.

600px-MV4-SW38-1.jpg

The Hump Back and the short 12ga pump made Tubbs a force to be reckoned with!