First scratch is the sweetest..... I guess?

TnShooter83

Finally broke down and field strippedmy Roger MKIII Target.
Manual says, A mallet may be needed to assist in removing the bolt stop and strut assembly.

But this ol' boy did need a stinkin' hammer. Lol
I pulled really really hard and that bad boy broke free and smacked right down on the rear of the grip.. now I got a nice shiny scratch. At least it a stainless pistol, so it not a obvious.

Disappointing, but now I don't have worry about keeping "perfect".

I tried to get a pic, but the glare is to bad on the stainless.
Not to mention my camera is not the best. I'm currently limited to a tablet for a camera an inter usage. Edited by TnShooter83

Use Youtube videos to field strip and reassemble the Ruger Mk 1 through 3 pistols and you'll be fine. Use the manual and unless your just naturally gifted you'll end up watching the Youtube videos a few times or taking it to someone who knows what they're doing. Been there done that.

I updated the post above. Some how I pressed the "post" button before I finished my story.

I got it back together. Only thing I had forgot to do waso hold the trigger back when
Folding the grip piece back in. I've owned other MK pistols. But it been awhile.
This was the first time with this pistol.

If you are Cathloic plan to set a side an hour or two to confess all this swear words.

If you are Cathloic plan to set a side an hour or two to confess all this swear words.

I did not swear. But I did get frustrated and read the manual.
But that was only after I admitted to my self I didn't know what I was doing.
Hey, I did it years ago. I thought I could "remember" on my own. Not so...lol Edited by TnShooter83

You should have put a Volquartsen trigger kit in it while you had it apart.  I installed the Mark II kit in my Mark III, and the results are pretty amazing.  I think the trigger pull is around 2.5 pounds.  It took me a while to get it back together too.  I think this is the website I used for learning the ins and outs.

http://guntalk-online.com/TroubleshootingPage.htm

"I did not swear. But I did get frustrated and read the manual.
But that was only after I admitted to my self I didn't know what I was doing.
Hey, I did it years ago. I thought I could "remember" on my own. Not so...lol "

RED ALERT  RED ALERT   MAN CARD VIOLATION IN PROGRESS!!!

Swearing is the mystical incantation that is necessary when involved in the reassembly of favored weapons using archival memories. Additional violations include READING INSTRUCTION MANUAL and ADMISSION OF FAILURE. Punishment to include no sports for 1 weekend, no coffee for 1 weekend and 1 hour of Yanni in a closed room. Redemption of said MAN CARD to be achieved only after Group Therapy of 1MOA or less from said weapon, that caused violation, is achieved. Range time to be determined at a later date.

MAN CARD WATCHDOG SOCIETY :usa:

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 1

If I had a stainless or any MKIII I would buy and install these parts.  Why?  Because you will enjoy shooting your MKIII or 22/45 all the more when it has as a great trigger and you eliminate the crazy mag disconnect safety.  The bare minimums are in bold.  You can save some money I suppose by going to other vendors or by using the black aluminum VQ trigger which saves you $7.00.  But for about $75.00 you will be thunderstruck at how much better your trigger will be.  Once these mods are made I can't think of any other .22lr handgun this side of the cost of a S&W 41 that is as pleasurable to shoot.  That also includes the S&W Mdl 17s and Buckmarks I used to own.

VQ extractor $11.95 can help with extraction

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC10EE%2FVC2EE&Category_Code=VC2

VQ stainless trigger $37.95  allows external  pre and over travel adjustment 

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TT-ST&Category_Code=VC2

VQ Sear $26.95 works well with stock hammer to produce a nice clean break

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2TS&Category_Code=VC2

4 choices to replace the mag disconnect safety which lowers the pull weight once it is disgarded and replaced.  Also eliminates a step or two in assembly and reassembly, plus the mags will fall freely.

TK replacement bushing for the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus $9.95

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=TK-MKIIIBUSHING&Category_Code=VC2

or use the original Bam Bushing:  http://bushing.webs.com/ $15.00

or you can simply use a a Ruger OEM MKII bushing to replace the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus  $7.95

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=VC2HB&Category_Code=VC2

or a Majestic Arms 3.2 Bushing to replace the MKIII mag disconnect apparatus $14.95

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=MA32B&Category_Code=VC2

Edited by graycrait
  • Like 1

Jockeying the trigger is a big helps.  Turn it upside down, "fire" it (with the spring assembly opened but "stuck in there", and checked, unloaded, and in a state for disassembly, of course) and that sometimes makes it let go.  Same for assembly...  pulling the trigger to release the internals can make it smoother in both directions.   Once you understand how the gun works and where all the parts are and *what is actually binding it up* its a lot easier.   The little loose swinging rod that goes into the mainspring housing has to land in just the right spot to reassemble it.  The hammer has to be down to get the bolt in.  Things like that.

They are a pain to tear down but you can clean them "pretty well" assembled.  Wipe the chamber, brush the barrel, and shoot again.  I deep clean mine every 1k or so rounds, maybe 1.5.   You can lube the bolt without disassembly too.  

Edited by Jonnin

Drop your weapon!

But officer, it's a $3000 custom "insert brand" from "insert renowned 'smith"

Sir, drop your weapon!!

But we're standing on concrete...

Sir, drop your weapon!!!

Can I move to that grassy area?

This is why my carry weapon is the firearms equivalent of a rock.  My expensive (or even good) ones are always in the case except when actually shooting them.

I sold myRuger for that exact reason. Pain in the ass!

There is definitely a precise order to getting it back together.
If any one step is left out or done incorrectly, it's not going to work.
Most of it has to do with the hammer, and the stupid piece that hangs down under the hammer. Lol