Gamer guns.... STI v. CZ

LawVol

So I want to get a dedicated gamer gun, mostly for 3-gun.  The two I'm considering are (both in 9mm):  1.) STI Edge and 2.) CZ Custom SP01 Shadow.  

The STI is what really turns me on, but it is more expensive, both in the cost of the gun and mags.  The CZ is still sexy, and, from what I gather, may be a less finicky gun.  The CZ is $1,300, and mags are $35.  A new Edge is $2,000, but I'd probably be looking for a gently used one in the $1,600 - $1,700 range.  Mags are $65, but mostly people seem to wind up spending in the neighborhood of $100/mag after upgrading base plates, followers, and springs.  

I have fondled an STI and a stock CZ75, but never a CZ Custom shop gun.  Does anyone have input on these guns? Is the STI that much better, or is the CZ the way to go?  Is CZ Custom's work worth $400 over the price of a factory SP01 Shadow?

thanks!

If it pleases you it's worth it. Since the CZ is such a superlative line of pistols, I can't see how an improvement done by a dedicated CZ custom shop could help but make it a dream. I have a number of fellow CZ addicts who have had extensive work done on their guns by www.czcustom.com and they do outstanding work. I'm stuck financially with a stodgy ol' CZ 85B and it pleases me immensely without any mods. Go from there.

I have a couple of customized CZs. One is a SP-01 with a lot of work done on it and the other is a 75 Shadow Custom. Both are absolutely top-notch shooters that I'll probably never be able to wring the maximum performance out of with my limited skills.

I've had dozens of people give both a try and all were amazed at the trigger and accuracy. For the money, I think anyone, but the most die hard custom 1911 fan would be ecstatic with the SP-01 Shadow.

I have had and sold (stupid me) a CZ SP-01 Shadow Target.  One of best guns I have had.  I would highly recommend them.  The STI's are nice as well (I have a 2011 race gun), but I would go with the CZ in that comparison.

Edited by Hozzie

I have a couple of customized CZs. One is a SP-01 with a lot of work done on it and the other is a 75 Shadow Custom. Both are absolutely top-notch shooters that I'll probably never be able to wring the maximum performance out of with my limited skills.

I've had dozens of people give both a try and all were amazed at the trigger and accuracy. For the money, I think anyone, but the most die hard custom 1911 fan would be ecstatic with the SP-01 Shadow.

The problem with the die hard 1911 fans it that they are going to pay a lot more than $1300 for their custom guns.

I'll have to say I have never had the opportunity to fondle an STI to see how the fit and finish is. But I own several CZs and can speak for their performance. Straight from the factory they are some of the most accurate stock guns you can find. I have an SP-01 Tactical that is an awesome shooter. I've shot it in IDPA and I can typically hit head shots at 7-10 yards with little effort and I definitely do not get enough practice to call myself an expert. I've shot in a few matches but have never shot in a qualifier to see where I would rank. If you slowly dry fire you can definitely feel the creep before the sear breaks. After break in, it is so smooth that its a non issue and still feels great - just not that 1911 feel. It feels like to me that they put in quality parts but just didn't do the custom work to make it a true competition gun. They designed and built these to sell to M&P after all. Even if that is where it stopped I would very happy with it for competition.

I also own a 75 Shadow Custom and a 75 Accu Shadow and to say that the CZ Custom shop improved the action is a gross understatement. Its like taking the awesome ergonomics of the 75 and adding a custom 1911 trigger in a SA/DA gun. Especially with the Accu Shadow as the take-up and short reset are almost negligible.

Before I got my Shadows, I saw Big K shoot his in an IDPA match and he was able to hold on the reset and pulled off a triple tap, and I never saw the muzzle flip.

My guess is that with the STIs there is more custom work done, which is reflected in the price. And you can go as crazy with them as you like. But, at least at my level, you can't beat the CZs for value, accuracy and shootability.

• Like 1

Pick the one you would if they cost the same. The savings isn't worth being left with the feeling you settled because of cost.

I am the king of cheap but I will spend the money needed to get what I want.

THIS!

I am partial to 1911/2011s personally, and I LOVE my STI (I have a few from Para too). I moved to these after shooting CZs for a while. Ultimately, it was finding which one fit me best. In my case it is the 1911 platform. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the CZs.

That said, for 3 gun I would look at the STI, a Para 18.9, or a CZ Tactical Sport. But that is me, for you I would say pick the one you REALLY want. 

Before I got my Shadows, I saw Big K shoot his in an IDPA match and he was able to hold on the reset and pulled off a triple tap, and I never saw the muzzle flip.

I was as shocked as everyone who witnessed that happen. Wish I could say it was on purpose.

I'm a 1911 guy. I looked really hard at the custom cz's from Cz custom. I went with the Eagle in .40. Zero regrets, from a rest with my loads it'll print 1" at 25yds. The new pricing structure brought the eagle down to the $1700 range. I went eagle because I don't do bull barrels or full length guide rods in 1911's, the bushing design and short recoil spring set up is perfectly acceptable and accurate.

cz can have a SAO job and makes a pretty good platform like that.  STI is already SAO. 

I'd rather have a STI ... they are gonna have the better trigger.  No matter what you do to a DA/SA, it will always have slop/pretravel/something.  It will simply shoot better / faster in general.  

3-gun isn't a competition pistol gun, IMHO.   That is, you are not shooting quarters at 25 yards, you are shooting basket balls at 15 yards.   You need something that shoots fast .. light, short trigger and tame recoil.   STI fits the bill of course, but its an expensive approach...   I am certain you could find a perfectly fine alternative for 1/2 the cost, without having to resort to a DA/SA approach which is less optimal.

I decided tonight to sell my STI Trojan 5" 9mm.  It may be something to consider.  Not as nice as an Edge, but with 5 mags, it may be a decent option.  It is listed in the for sale section.  No worries if your not interested, but wanted to at least let you know.  I am funding a new Nightforce so a couple of things are getting put on the block.

I think that's good advice.  As nice as these CZ's look, and as much as I try to convince myself that it's the more practical choice,  a big 9mm 2011 is what I'm really lusting after.  

To those that have STI 2011's, are they pretty reliable?  I have come to realize that I just don't have the time or patience to tinker.  I just like for my stuff to work.  

And thanks for the heads up, Hozzie.  I think I need to hold out for a double stack, though.  

I appreciate all the input.  

I think that's good advice.  As nice as these CZ's look, and as much as I try to convince myself that it's the more practical choice,  a big 9mm 2011 is what I'm really lusting after.  

To those that have STI 2011's, are they pretty reliable?  I have come to realize that I just don't have the time or patience to tinker.  I just like for my stuff to work.  

And ts hanks for the heads up, Hozzie.  I think I need to hold out for a double stack, though.  

I appreciate all the input.  

Our family has 4 40S&W 2011s that shoot a combined 2,000 rounds per month in USPSA and IDPA competition.  All of them are more reliable than the Springfield 9mm 1911 I sold.  If you buy a new one, get from Brazos or Dawson. Besides, they are made in Texas.  This is NOT a CZ and variant flame, they are the first choice for USPSA production and IDPA SSP.

• 10 months later...

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted this... Well, I finally got my gamer gun.  The was going to wait for the CZ Shadow 2 to come out, but I wound up buying an STI Tactical 5.0. I didn't realize 9mm STI mags were nonexistent right now, so it won't see a match until that changes.  Kinda needs a fiber optic front sight and a little trigger work, too.  Hopefully I can get out to shoot it tomorrow. :cheers:

6874E773-F616-433D-B7EC-14B4E22BBE32_zps

926e7a6d-0ff2-44d2-86b6-d82267a1c1d9_zps

• Like 1
21 hours ago, LawVol said:

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted this... Well, I finally got my gamer gun.  The was going to wait for the CZ Shadow 2 to come out, but I wound up buying an STI Tactical 5.0. I didn't realize 9mm STI mags were nonexistent right now, so it won't see a match until that changes.  Kinda needs a fiber optic front sight and a little trigger work, too.  Hopefully I can get out to shoot it tomorrow. :cheers:

6874E773-F616-433D-B7EC-14B4E22BBE32_zps

926e7a6d-0ff2-44d2-86b6-d82267a1c1d9_zps

Hold off on that trigger work. Clean and shoot. My factory trigger sits at 2.5lbs with a ridiculously short reset. 

11 hours ago, Wiljo05 said:

Check Dawson Precision for the mags yet? That's usually my go to for STI mags

I have some on backorder at Dawson's.  I got an email alert from Osage county guns yesterday and was able to snag a couple before they went out of stock.