Speedloaders of Speed Stips for Back Up?

Moped

When I carry my J-frames or K-frames I carry a speed strip. You can’t carry speed loaders without them being in a pouch; they will get twisted or punched. When carrying revolvers I do so knowing that if I need more than a cylinder full; I’m in trouble. The chances of that happening though are probably about same as winning the lottery. If I’m going to be someone where I believe the chances are greater I carry a gun with more capacity or one that uses magazines.
  • Like 1

For town carry, if the snubby is on me then I keep an HK speedloader in my front pocket and another in the console in the car.  Never had a single problem with them.  Like MattCarry and oldman, I also have a full box in the trunk, and a speed strip or two with it - 158 gr. .357 mag hollowpoint.  When I'm in dress clothes that cause a speedloader to stand out I carry speed strips instead.

For knocking around in the woods I normally carry a larger gun crossdraw, with an HK speedloader or two full of Buffalo Bore 180 gr. .357 mag on my belt, strong side.

At the farm predator animals are more of a concern than bad guys, and slower reloading is fine.  There, I'll often just keep a speed strip on my belt in a carrier from Simply Rugged.  With a good belt carrier, a speed strip stays out of the way during chores but is always within easy, quick reach.

You often hear people say that revolvers will fire any kind of ammo.  But ammo selection is still worth considering, and especially for snubbies.  For example, much of the added power of really hot premium magnum ammo is lost when those rounds are fired from barrels under 3", so it's probably not worth the extra recoil in a belly gun.

• Like 2

Was Jim Cirillo on the video linked in an earlier post? After watching that, I started wondering where i could find wadcutters. I used to reload, then got out of it, when I was getting ammunition for free. Now I am started to get back in the game again. But I would not carry reloads for self defense, because of liability in court, if I ever shot someone. I've been told and read that reloads are a big no no in such situations.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Yes it was Cirillo. Unfortunately he died in an auto accident in 2007 iirc. What a loss to the firearms and self defense community. And then Gomez in 2012...a huge loss...Great guy and one of the most firearm/self defense knowledgeable people I've known.

I can certainly appreciate what you are saying, and we all have to live by our decisions in life...but I carry my own version of the Safe Stop loads (I knew Fuzzy) and I'm comfortable with it. I know others caution against it, for the very reasons you mentioned...and that's sound advice... But I'm good with my choice...I would never recommend another do so, just mentioning it's an option...

• Like 1

When I carry my J-frames or K-frames I carry a speed strip. You can’t carry speed loaders without them being in a pouch; they will get twisted or punched. When carrying revolvers I do so knowing that if I need more than a cylinder full; I’m in trouble. The chances of that happening though are probably about same as winning the lottery. If I’m going to be someone where I believe the chances are greater I carry a gun with more capacity or one that uses magazines.

Some questions that I ask myself everyday, is if where I'm going is so dangerous that I need to carry a gun because I would be in fear of my life, do I REALLY need go there? And if I really need to go there, shouldn't I carry the weapon best suited for that environment?

The little Humpback is for everyday carry. I can step up to more firepower if needed. :)

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Some questions that I ask myself everyday, is if where I'm going is so dangerous that I need to carry a gun because I would be in fear of my life, do I REALLY need go there? And if I really need to go there, shouldn't I carry the weapon best suited for that environment?

For most everyday situations it's more of, not which dangerous places am I going to choose to go into, it's a matter of which dangerous persons might interject themselves into the normally safe environments I choose to go into.
  • Like 1

So, I took the little Humpback out for a ride this evening up to the Norris Range and put a box of 158gr LRN through it.  It is quite the handful.  After about 35 rounds, the base of my thumb at the web of my right hand is pretty sore.  I endeavored to persevere and finished the box, though I finished the last 5 rounds with my left hand. It's not a range toy, that's for sure, but it grouped good.  The front sight was a bit hard for these 52 year old eye to pick up sometimes.  I think I will have to paint them a contrasting color.  I do believe it's a keeper though! :)

• Like 1
I still have the original safariland speed strips that I bought back about 10 years ago. They have been reloaded and pried apart hundreds of times. The Tuff strips made it through about five drills before they slit. The tuff strips are fine but do nit hold up well to practice.
  • Like 1