EDC Pack Suggestions

I'm looking for a new bag and any input would help. My edc bags for years have been free from work so I never had to buy one. I have been using a mid sized pack about 2200ci with lots of pockets and dividers. I love having several pockets, but main compartment is big and never gets filled. So I have been looking at the sling packs. A small backpack just looks goofy when I carry it. I'm living large. Might carry 10lbs total probably less. I have been looking at the 511 moab10 and like it a lot but keep looking for made in USA as well. I also like tactical tailor sling pack but it lacks the extra pockets. So any ideas would be great.

Best all-around bag I've ever owned is my Maxpedition Sitka. It'll JUST hold a 15.4" laptop, but isn't too big to fill up with stuff I can't bear not to have with me. I've had mine for years and carry it every day, yet it still looks brand new...these things are really rugged, like all their gear.

I also have the larger version, Maxpedition Kodiak. If you want something smaller, they have a Maxpedition Malaga as well. Hard to go wrong with anything Maxpedition makes, IMHO.

A note about their gearslinger bags: if you're right-handed the strap goes across your body and rests on your left shoulder. This makes it easy to swing the bag around and use your right hand to get stuff out or access the "hidden" pouch for your gun.  BUT, this comes with a drawback...the bag kind of hangs more onto your right hip, making it awkward to get a gun out of its holster. So, they make the same bag for lefties called an S-Type, but it's not easy to draw a gun from the bag, if you carry yours inside the bag and you're a rightie. You may want to mull over the idea, when you decide which one to get.

EDIT: This guy does great reviews on YouTube, if you can get past the accent..

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IZ0wlQf2OE[/media]

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

I have a Yukon Outfitters Overwatch (sling bag) which is equivalent to the Maxpedition Sitka for around $50. Same build if not better than the big names.
http://www.yukon-outfitters.com/products/overwatch-sling-pack

Not sure if it matters, but Maxped uses 1000D polyester and most of the less expensive brands only use 600D polyester. Again, it may not matter, especially if the worst your bag will see is the floor next to your desk or the floorboard of the car. Also, don't know how important double-stitched seams and YKK zippers are either.

Unless I'm mistaken, that bag looks like it's copied after the larger Kodiak (18" height instead of 15"), not the Sitka.

Not sure if it matters, but Maxped uses 1000D polyester and most of the less expensive brands only use 600D polyester. Again, it may not matter, especially if the worst your bag will see is the floor next to your desk or the floorboard of the car. Also, don't know how important double-stitched seams and YKK zippers are either.

Unless I'm mistaken, that bag looks like it's copied after the larger Kodiak (18" height instead of 15"), not the Sitka.

Kodiak size, your right. 600D and zipper build have stood up for me well since January.
For me though it was $50 vs $150 when I was looking.
  • Like 1

Double tap Edited by JHC77

Kodiak size, your right. 600D and zipper build have stood up for me well since January.
For me though it was $50 vs $150 when I was looking.

yeah, don't blame you when you put it that way...unless the $150 bag lasts more than 3X as long, it's a no-brainer to save the $100

I think the one I have is the Maxpedition Kodiak Sling bag.  I like it alot.  I wish it had molle attachments on both sides all the way to the top like some of their other bags, but overall, its the best fit for me, and im very picky.  Ive gone through several different Max bags and 5.211 aqnd others til I found this one.

• Like 1

Considered something less tactical and more "grey man" style?  I went through this about 2 years ago when I started my new job.  I needed a backpack so I could tote my laptop around and various other items.  Long story short, I went with a North Face Recon pack.   Its a solid medium sized back, lots of pockets and organization options and approved by some Chiropractic Association so it feels great on the back.  

H1https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/recon

H107C

• Like 1

Hey Justin, how do you like the Khard 30? I was looking at one of those or the 45.

I love the Khard 30 ..with the right inserts I can carry 2 10" inch ar uppers on one side insert and then the lowers in the main compartment with room for mags and other equipment as well..

Love how it can be customized to so many configurations.. Size is perfect for me as I have another 50 liter pack so I needed something smaller

Considered something less tactical and more "grey man" style?  I went through this about 2 years ago when I started my new job.  I needed a backpack so I could tote my laptop around and various other items.  Long story short, I went with a North Face Recon pack.   Its a solid medium sized back, lots of pockets and organization options and approved by some Chiropractic Association so it feels great on the back.  

H1https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/recon

H107C

The camelback UAC pack is perfect for that as it looks like a normal pack but has a hidden spot for a firearm if you need that and many other great features for a EDC pack.

https://youtu.be/NA2AHmun8Y4

Edited by justincase