Just bought a new revolver, but can't find ammo...

Thanks. I'll look into them. I was hoping to grab some .454 locally to hit the range this week, though.. 

Thanks for the tip on the cowboy loads. I think I remeber Bass Pro carrying some. Might be worth the drive into Nashville again.

Brass, mold, press, dies and a scale. Never be at the mercy of factory ammo. Never.
ESPECIALLY with that caliber...jeez! I have a 45 colt in a Bisley Blackhawk. Thought I might pick up a few boxes of factory stuff to keep around....uhh, no. Not no but hell no.

Brass, mold, press, dies and a scale. Never be at the mercy of factory ammo. Never.
ESPECIALLY with that caliber...jeez! I have a 45 colt in a Bisley Blackhawk. Thought I might pick up a few boxes of factory stuff to keep around....uhh, no. Not no but hell no.

Yep. If you are already reloading, you can tool up for 45 Colt for the cost of a box of ammo. Don't know about making your own boolits

Edited by mikegideon

Yep. If you are already reloading, you can tool up for 45 Colt for the cost of a box of ammo. Don't know about making your own boolits

I am setup with a Dillon 550b for .45lc.  If you get jammed up, have some components and don't mind a trip to  Chattanooga I'll help you load up a batch. Bullets are easy to get here.

Cherokee Slim

I can literally put everything needed to reload that caliber in a 50 caliber can and that includes powder and primers. I'd need a 40mm grenade can if we're to include the accoutrements for casting.
Unless you're into cowboy action shooting, no need for an elaborate set up. A Lee hand press will amaze you. The 45 colt is super easy to work with. The Casull is no different, only longer with a little more push dust behind it.

Lee makes a hand press with breech lock inserts. For a meager investment, you could set every die up and it's be a quick change set up. A quality digital scale and a hand primer. If one were going to purchase their bullets (*choke...spit**) you could get set up for the cost of just Four or five boxes of quality ammo. It cou,d all be tucked away in an ammo can and be done on the coffee table while watching Walking Dead reruns.
I've been toying with the idea of reloading for a while now. I thought the price of 45 acp was bad, but some of the prices with this new gun has made up my mind. Thanks for the input everyone. My wife will be happy. She has been pushing me to get into it as well (gotta love that).

What are y'alls' thoughts on using relaods for self defense, ei- legal ramifications if I were to have to shoot someone?

I Pray you or any one else does not have to fire on another person, but if you do have the need, get a good lawyer.

As far as using reloads, that has been hashed out a few times, do a search.

I just picked up a Ruger Alaskan in .454/ 45 Long Colt, but I'm having trouble finding the .454 casull in any form and .45 colt in target ammo. Anyone know where these can be found?

45, even "target ammo", is pricey ...  you are looking at $35 for the rock bottom cheap stuff and 45 for the "usual" target brands that you would use in any other gun and it goes up from there.   I have no trouble finding it ... most big stores have a few boxes?   Its just expensive, and the "cowboy" / cheap stuff is not always in stock.  Its also heavy, so shipping can be rough for online buys.  This is the kind of ammo that can buy you a press with your savings if you shoot much of it.

454 is harder to find.  Its less mainstream and you need a very well supplied store, or a gun show, or online buys.

I highly recommend reloading.   You can produce for far, far less money ammo that is of the quality and power level you want. 

I carry reloads for self defense.   Its a potential risk if I ever have to use them.  I have accepted that.

• Like 1

I've been toying with the idea of reloading for a while now. I thought the price of 45 acp was bad, but some of the prices with this new gun has made up my mind. Thanks for the input everyone. My wife will be happy. She has been pushing me to get into it as well (gotta love that).

What are y'alls' thoughts on using relaods for self defense, ei- legal ramifications if I were to have to shoot someone?

Getting set up with a good cast iron or steel press is affordable or for near enough the same money you could go with a Lee Classic Cast turret press. Either route is a good start and depending upon how much you shoot may be all you ever want insofar as reloading presses go. As for using hand loads for self-defense, no I wouldn't recommend that for more reasons then I care to begin discussing here. As already mentioned do an internet search on that one and be prepared to read for a while.

Getting set up with a good cast iron or steel press is affordable or for near enough the same money you could go with a Lee Classic Cast turret press. Either route is a good start and depending upon how much you shoot may be all you ever want insofar as reloading presses go. As for using hand loads for self-defense, no I wouldn't recommend that for more reasons then I care to begin discussing here. As already mentioned do an internet search on that one and be prepared to read for a while.

The Lee Classic 4 hole turret press really comes into its own with pistol reloading. Just can't do any better without going to a progressive.

• Like 1

The Lee Classic 4 hole turret press really comes into its own with pistol reloading. Just can't do any better without going to a progressive.

Yep. I always recommend the Lee turret presses and own one of the Classic Cast Turret presses myself. Realistically, with it, a 550B and an old Rockchucker I'm pretty well set.

Love my Lee turret. One day I'll get a Dillon but until then, ol' Red will just keep cranking them out at about 80rds an hour, including processing time. Great choice for a beginner and intermediate level hobbyist

Psshhh you can do better than that! Kidding. I tried seeing how fast I could safely go with man and dang near loaded my finger into a case. :rofl:

Oooooo. Been there done that. I put the decapping pin of a 9mm sizer through my thumb nail once. Had a badazz rhythm going and was rolling...and then. Ouch.

Have you ever gone so long at speed that your sizing die is hot to the touch? I've done that a few times and never owned a progressive in my life. Once you learn a few tricks it's amazing how fast you can go. The trick for me is getting my buckets laid out just right to minimize hand movement but keep me from knocking it over.
Once I learned to take an unsized case and swap it out of the shell holder with a freshly sized case in one motion I was good. When I'm feeling my oats I can use my right hand on the ram lever and never stop reciprocating. Up down up down. Edited by Caster

Oooooo. Been there done that. I put the decapping pin of a 9mm sizer through my thumb nail once. Had a badazz rhythm going and was rolling...and then. Ouch.

Have you ever gone so long at speed that your sizing die is hot to the touch? I've done that a few times and never owned a progressive in my life. Once you learn a few tricks it's amazing how fast you can go. The trick for me is getting my buckets laid out just right to minimize hand movement but keep me from knocking it over.
Once I learned to take an unsized case and swap it out of the shell holder with a freshly sized case in one motion I was good. When I'm feeling my oats I can use my right hand on the ram lever and never stop reciprocating. Up down up down.

All of that... yes! That die can get downright toasty. I noticed that my cases stayed cooler when I had a lot of car polish in my media to help slick up the cases. They run through very smoothly!

If I dicount processing/brass prep (I prime by hand while watching TV) and just count the the time spent turning primed brass into shootable ammo it's around 150-175 rds an hour for most calibers. 9 take me longer cuz they're so tiny. 40/10 and 44 are quick! The only problem with 44 is that I have to fill the hopper so often, lol!
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be looking into a Lee for now. We just had a boy, so I can't go all in on an expensive set up right now. I did manage to track down both rounds, and yes, both are pricey. Turns out Outpost got a few boxes in, and Gander Mtn. had some as well.

By the way, did y'all buy your reloading set up locally, or just online?