Taurus Judge

Guest Ghostrider

Guest Ghostrider

After fondling an ultralight at GCA the other day..

If you own one of these (ultalight or not) would you give me some feedback on them.

I'm quite "enamored" of the weapon and may just decide it would fit very well in a vertical shoulder rig.....

Thanks!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Astra900

Had one in my hands this weekend, I could only buy one, so I had to put it back in favor of a new Ruger.:lol:

Very nice, I don't think it's as unwieldy as it looks. Loaded with .410 slugs or buck shot, it would definitely be Judge, Jury, and Executioner!

I wanted it, I just wanted something else more.

The Box of Truth test left me with doubts as to the effectiveness of .410 as a defensive round. Read what they said:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41_4.htm

Lessons learned:

1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol. smile_cool.gif

And, as usual, it's always fun to shoot stuff. smile_wink.gif

Guest bkelm18

I wouldn't personally use .410 for self defense but there was a report on here I think of someone in TN that used their Judge with .410 on two attackers, one of them subsequently died.

I wouldn't personally use .410 for self defense but there was a report on here I think of someone in TN that used their Judge with .410 on two attackers, one of them subsequently died.

I believe that Mossburg made a shotgun in .410 and actually promoted it as a home defense gun. We all see how well that worked for them.

The Box of Truth test left me with doubts as to the effectiveness of .410 as a defensive round. Read what they said:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41_4.htm

Lessons learned:

1. Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.

2. Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.

3. Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.

4. The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.

5. The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.

6. It's fun to bust clays with this pistol. smile_cool.gif

And, as usual, it's always fun to shoot stuff. smile_wink.gif

This is what pushed "The Judge" a little further down on my "want it just cause" list back last year.:lol:

Actually, I as well have been considering a Judge, but for a little different reason than any stated above. I think it would make an awesome camp gun or even a great gun to keep in your Bug out Bag. You have the ability to shoot snakes, small game, and birds at close range and still have the option of loading up the $5 Colts for serious defensive work or to take larger game.

i've shot one and it shot ok. but damn, that thing is a boat anchor. lots better options out there in revolverland.

get a 44mag and load it to suit your needs.

+1 krater. If you're all hung up on birdshot, get some CCI shot cartridges. The .410 slug out of a handgun is about the same or less effective than a std pressure .38. a .410 slug is usually 90 grains. A .38 is usually 125 or 158 grains, and generally a better bullet design, and probably much more accurate. I can't imagine an N frame is any harder to carry than The Jug... I mean... The Judge. Shorter cylinder, to boot.

If you really want something different, I'd rather spend less money on a Carter Pug in 44 spc. The 44 spc is a great defensive round, and you can get shot cartridges from CCI. Smaller and cheaper than the Taurus. http://www.charterfirearms.com/products/Charter_Bulldog_14420.html

Sorry if I peed in anyone's cheerios! :lol:

Edited by musicman
Guest Ghostrider

If I got one, I'd load it with 2 rounds of #1 or #2 buck, and 3 of 44 LC - I don't see the point of using a 410 slug when you have the 44 lc as an available load. I'm not one to use a pistol for distances over 20ish feet anyway, so I think it would be a good self defense load out in that configuration.

I think I could probably put a bunny or 3 on the table with it with lighter loads if necessary and clear some slither buddies if needed with those loads, too (I'm thinking

#4 or #6 shot.

Sure, a combo guy isn't going to be the "best" gun for anything, but if it's servicable for light hunting, snake control in the woods, and pest control (2 legged variety) in the home or car, would it be worth the buy.

See, my wife can't rack any of the autos, at all. And while I keep a round in the chamber in them, she's out of the fight if anything goes wrong. My main consideration for her is a 38 sp stubby (like a lady smith) but she could use this, as well.

Given these criteria, is it still a dumb idea?

Personally, I think I'd be better armed with a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 spl. and carry a little Snake Charmer in my truck. It'd probably be cheaper too.

I just don't see a .410 being a good personal defense round. It's also been my experience that .410 slugs are not the easiest thing in the world to find.

Just my two cents. That and a buck fifty might buy some coffee somewhere.:rolleyes:

I have the 2 1/2" chamber and really enjoy shooting it.I have the 3" chamber ordered.It would not be my choice of a personal defense carry but, no matter what size shot you have in the cylinder it would get you out of a jam.

Guest Major Pain

Got a ultralite with 2.5" chamber. Stays in safe mostly, but take out back and its a hoot to shoot. Can hit pretty good with 45LC but 00 buck is a blast. Would not use for defence but would be great if the only thing you had.--MP

Antioch, one died at point blank range. Another showed up at the hospital with shot in him, but survived.