9mm+p JHP

Guest truthsayer

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Todd@CIS

There are many good 9mm +P rounds out there.

Speer 124 +P Gold Dot

Georgia Arms 124 +P Gold Dot

Georgia Arms 147gr +P Gold Dot

Winchester 124 +P Ranger-T (bonded and non-bonded)

Federal 124 +P HST

Federal 135 +P Tactical

With the possible exception of CorBon's DPX round, I'd suggest staying away from 9mm defense rounds weighing less than 124gr as they often display erratic performance.

Make sure the round you choose functions well in your gun.

What works in someone else's KT P11 may not work in yours.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Seems to have been surpassed some now in max performance, but I have Rem Golden Sabers 124+p in both 9mm pistols. Also have GS in Ruger .357.

Feeds great, low smoke/flash. Perfectly adequate methinks. Plus the Knoxville cops carry it still AFAIK. Not willing to experiment too much right away, as have a small cache of it, and also don't want to go to expense of shooting 100 rounds or so of something new through each weapon to ensure reliability.

- OS

Will a KelTec handle +p loads??
I think Keltec will handle a light diet of +p
that might be a little hot for that gun ?

from KT's website: http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pf9.htm

The PF-9 retains the best features from our P-11 and P-3AT pistols combined into the flattest and lightest single stack 9mm configuration ever made. The barrel, locking system, slide stop, assembly pin, front sight, recoil springs and guide rod are adapted from the P-11. The PF-9 is nearly identical to the P-11 in length and height and shares the same exterior controls. The shorter trigger system with integral hammer block and the extraction system are adapted from the P-3AT. Just like the P-11, the PF-9 will accept +P ammunition, however, not with continuous use

A few years back, getting to be quite a while back now, Cor-bon 9mm +P in 115 gr. brought me home from a butcher knife attack.

Today I would probably go for the 9mm +P in 124 gr.

Cor=bons work and you can't go wrong with them!!!!!!!!

Hope this gives you some useful information?

D

A few years back, getting to be quite a while back now, Cor-bon 9mm +P in 115 gr. brought me home from a butcher knife attack.

Today I would probably go for the 9mm +P in 124 gr.

Cor-bons work and you can't go wrong with them!!!!!!!!

Hope this gives you some useful information?

D

• 1 month later...
Guest MisterJimmy
There are many good 9mm +P rounds out there.

Georgia Arms 147gr +P Gold Dot

... staying away from 9mm defense rounds weighing less than 124gr as they often display erratic performance.

Todd, I'm interested in your experiences with 147gr +p ammo. I'm thinking about trying it. Any advantages, disadvantages?

Also, re: 'erratic performance' in >124gr rounds, can you be more specific? What issues have you noticed?

Thanks.

Guest Todd@CIS
Todd, I'm interested in your experiences with 147gr +p ammo. I'm thinking about trying it. Any advantages, disadvantages?

Also, re: 'erratic performance' in >124gr rounds, can you be more specific? What issues have you noticed?

Thanks.

Georgia Arms uses the Speer Gold Dot in their 147gr+P loading...a good bullet.

I don't use it because it has a different point-of-impact (higher) than my practice ammo and my sights. The 124gr+P is dead on with my sights and has the same POI as my practice ammo.

As far as 115gr erratic performance, I'd suggest heading over to www.tacticalforums.com where there is a wealth of terminal ballistic info.

Don't get me wrong, if I was told that I had to load my G19 with 115gr ammo, I would go on my merry way with it...shot placement is more important. I guess my point is that with so many better choices out there, why would you if you had a choice?

Currently, my G19 is loaded with Speer's 124gr+P Gold Dot.

If I wanted / had to use standard pressure ammo only, I would use the Winchester 147gr Ranger-T or the Speer 124gr Gold Dot.

Regards

Edited by Todd@CIS

I have pushed several rounds of +P through my PF-9, make sure you don't limp wrist it or you will leave the range with a sore hand/wrist. Kel-Tec does not recommend a regular diet of +P ammo. Fire enough to know how the gun reacts as opposed to plinking ammo.

I'm about to switch to Remington Golden Sabre 124 +P (I currently don't even carry +P). While the Golden Sabre is not as sexy as an HST or Ranger +P+, there's plenty of data in print to support it as a prime carry choice (plus I found a bunch of it at Bass Pro).

I like it. It's not as high velocity as many +p's, so very controllable recoil even in my Kahr - the effectiveness seems to be largely in the bullet design. It's also very much reduced flash/smoke from some others I've shot.

I've fired a bunch of it in XD SC and also in .357 mag in revo, so it's become my choice. Plus, like you, I got a decent stash of it back when CheaperThanDirt was still sane and had it priced cheaper than anyone else that I could find.

- OS

Guest Todd@CIS

Golden Saber guys...I actually think the bullet design is very good, but I was a little disappointed with the quality control back when I tested it (01-02ish).

Running it over a chrono, I was getting Extreme Spreads of 100FPS+...not the greatest quality indicator.

Doing muzzle flash tests at night, one round would be low flash and the next bright flash...I wasn't impressed.

While at a training class at Memphis PD, I spoke with the Captain of their Training Unit. According to him, Remington was willing to give Memphis PD a year supply of Golden Saber for free if Memphis would adopt it as their issued round (Remington wanted that for marketing purposes).

Memphis PD tested it and decided to go with (and PAY for) another round...

I say this fully admitting that Remington may have tightened Golden Saber QC since then...I have had no personal Golden Saber experience since 01-02ish.

If that's the case (and probably is), I would say that the Golden Saber is a fine defensive round.

Regards.

Edited by Todd@CIS

Hmmm...I may test it in my Glock 19 today. I was planning on going outdoors to do so, but may go to RUSA to see what the muzzle flash is like.

OS, I like the fact that, even though it's a +P, it's not the red-hottest +P round out there. Like I said earlier, I've never even carried +P ammo. I'm not a huge fan of the hottest, high power load available. Call me a weirdo.

100 fps variation is alarming. I will eventually chrono this stuff and see what happens.

Hmmm...I may test it in my Glock 19 today. I was planning on going outdoors to do so, but may go to RUSA to see what the muzzle flash is like.

OS, I like the fact that, even though it's a +P, it's not the red-hottest +P round out there. Like I said earlier, I've never even carried +P ammo. I'm not a huge fan of the hottest, high power load available. Call me a weirdo.

100 fps variation is alarming. I will eventually chrono this stuff and see what happens.

Well, DS and Todd, those tests *were* a long time ago, so dunno.

Certainly not heard Golden Saber dissed re this anywhere else.

I've never done any real "science" on them, but have fired maybe 150 rounds of 9mm and 50 of .357, and flash and oomph have looked and felt consistent. Fired most of them indoors at Coal Creek initially, where you really notice degree of flash due to being relatively dimly lit there.

Would I notice a 100 fps variation in oomph (highly technical term) ? Dunno.

By the way, guys at Guns and More said Knox cops use the GS (in 9mm anyway, unclear whether normal or +p, actually unclear whether 9mm or .40 come to think of it), which was another reason I felt kinda comfy with them. Then again, maybe Remington gives them away.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
add'l info
Guest Todd@CIS
Well, DS and Todd, those tests *were* a long time ago, so dunno.

Would I notice a 100 fps variation in oomph (highly technical term) ? Dunno.

You're right, they were a long time ago...as I said, things quite probably have changed at Remington.

And no, you probably won't feel the 100fps difference...I didn't. The worst Extreme Spreads were in 9mm.

BTW, I shot the 124+P, 147 9mm and 165, 180 .40 Golden Sabers at the time.

Edited by Todd@CIS